Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Consumer Reports: Verizon IPhone Suffers Same Antenna Issues

By Roger Cheng
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Apple Inc. (AAPL) can't shake "antenna-gate."
The Verizon Wireless version of the iPhone, which features a new design to accommodate a different wireless technology than what long-time partner AT&T Inc. (T) uses, suffers from the same signal issues when the iPhone is gripped in a certain way, according to a review from Consumer Reports. The publication withheld its recommendation for the blockbuster smartphone.
The problem is similar in nature to the antenna issues that arose with the original iPhone 4. Consumer Reports at the time highlighted the problem and said it could not recommend the device. It was a rare black eye for Apple, but it also led to the perpetuation of the view that AT&T's network couldn't handle the increased traffic. The newest claims of weak signal conditions is a potentially embarrassing development for Verizon Wireless, which leans heavily on its reputation of offering superior network coverage.
Verizon Wireless, however, said it hasn't seen any problems with the iPhone.
"We do know the product is performing well on our network," spokesman Marquett Smith said.
He said that less than 0.05% of iPhone calls were dropped, which leads the industry. The call performance is better in major cities, he added.
An Apple spokeswoman said that the iPhone 4 had a "great antenna that was designed to work well on Verizon Wireless's network."
When a finger comes in to contact with the lower-left-side gap of the Verizon iPhone 4, the reception drops noticeably within 15 seconds, Consumer Reports said. When placed in a rubber "bumper" that wraps around the phone, the signal issues go away. Other reviewers who have tested the phone, however, haven't complained about this problem.
The issue originally cropped up when Apple redesigned the iPhone 4 to include a metal wraparound antenna, which was expected to boost the signal to the phone. But the design proved problematic because it puts the antenna in direct contact with a user's hands, which changes the way the antenna behaves.
The first instance of antenna-gate led to Apple and Chief Executive Steve Jobs specifically addressing the problem in a press conference, and the company giving away free covers to early iPhone 4 customers. Jobs' claim that the issues were universal drew the ire of competitors such as Research in Motion Ltd. (RIMM) and Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. (MMI), who leveled their criticism over Apple's external antenna.
"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable," RIM co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie said in a statement issued in July.
The issues also hurt AT&T's efforts to rehabilitate its reputation. The company poured billions of dollars into upgrading its network, particularly in major cities such as New York and San Francisco, only to be caught up in the antenna controversy.
Verizon Wireless potentially has more to lose if the antenna issues ring true. The carrier commands a premium and customer loyalty largely because of the perception that it offers better coverage with fewer dropped calls. So far, the iPhone has been a success for the carrier, although it hasn't disclosed how many iPhones have been sold. The company has said the advance orders it received in the first two hours exceeded the one-day total for any other device in the company's history.
Verizon Wireless is jointly owned by Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Vodafone Group Plc (VOD).
Apple shares recently rose 1.3% to $347.47. Verizon shares rose 1% to $35.92.

-By Roger Cheng, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2153; roger.cheng@dowjones.com

Here we go again...

Any bets out there that iphone5 will not use the outside banded antenna system?

Interesting... I'm positive that I read earlier reviews/reports that said design changes were made to fix this and in their testing, they stated it was no longer an issue. Were they checking it the wrong way ? Obviously not the same way as CR !

My experience is that any antenna will detune if you add capacitance (touch it) to it. Every cell phone I have ever had would lose signal if you touched the antenna or held the phone in a way that added body capacitance to the area where the antenna was just inside. Older phones with the pull out stick were less susceptible but all were affected in some negative way. The real question is not losing 5 to 4 bars or even 3 to 1 bar but whether the phone loses contact aka drops the call. I think this later point is why the biggest problem with this "antennagate" is media story rather than real trouble using the phone by all buyers of it. Most will buy the phone, if it works for them they are happy and won't be concerned about the media story. If they have a problem then they have that story to fall back on when they return the phone. I think for the purpose of just marketing alone- eliminating the external band antenna, putting it inside would generate even more sales of the iphone5.

That's funny as I cant duplicate the issue on my iphone and I have had only 1 dropped call sence day one. With ATT, I had atleast 50 by now. When I put my fat finger over the bottom left side without the bumper, my signal stays the same and if I turn the phone, it actually goes up! Keeping the finger over my phone for over a min does nothing. I havent heard much about antenna gate happening on verizon. I know from my experence it's a non issue and even when I try to duplicate it, its still a non issue as the issue isnt there.

My HTC Eris is affected by "antennagate" too ! Actually, I read that the Eris was one of the models that Jobs used to demonstrate "it's not just the iPhone" (actually, he would never state it that way !!). I've checked it myself, not using the silly "bars" either. I can display the phone's signal meter and it's real-time and fluctuates as I move my hand around. Most important fact though is that I don't have to hold the phone a certain way to avoid dropping calls. In 1-1/2 years, I can count the number of dropped calls on one hand...

This whole issue kinda reminds me of the guy who went to the Dr and bent his elbow in a wierd way and said "this hurts..what can u give me to ease the pain?" The Dr said "stop bending your elbow that way and the pain will go away"

Juan-That's what Dr. Jobs told the press when he was asked.

Hey Bob That is funny 'cause fat has a high dielectric constant and should raise capacitance.

Hall- My htc TP2 is affected on the meter but I only get dropped calls when I talk to my daughter. She uses an iphone on AT&T. The other day my wife called and our call dropped. She called me right back and I said that was strange. She said no it isn't, I'm borrowing an iphone. My daughter has an iphone 3.

That's funny as I cant duplicate the issue on my iphone and I have had only 1 dropped call sence day one. With ATT, I had atleast 50 by now. When I put my fat finger over the bottom left side without the bumper, my signal stays the same and if I turn the phone, it actually goes up! Keeping the finger over my phone for over a min does nothing. I havent heard much about antenna gate happening on verizon. I know from my experence it's a non issue and even when I try to duplicate it, its still a non issue as the issue isnt there.

I thought that Apple moved the antenna on the Iphone for Verizon. Didn't they move it to more the top of the phone and this is why the switch to silence the phone is moved a bit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts