Contemplating Directv - history of bad DishNet service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dntc0x

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
I've been a subscriber of Dish Network since 1998. I've lived with all the price & fee increases. I got screwed (like most others) when Dish lost the distant networks.

All American Direct tried to screw me for their distant networks, and because of that I've refused to pay for NBCCBSABCFOX over satellite for years.

I did get one of the Winegard OTA antennas from Dish, but only had limited success with anything other than the NBC local.

Now, Dish is finally offering my local DMA networks, one of the last to be offered in the country. So I've been reading the SatGuys DishNet forum and doing my homework before calling DishNet. I haven't moved to HD yet, but getting the locals from them requires it in my case. (HD only on 77* sat)

After preparation, I called Dish last night. I sent customer service a letter explaining what happened, it wasn't 'pretty'. Scroll down if you're interested in reading it. BTW, has anyone got a good address (electronic or snailmail) for Charlie Ergen or some of the other 'bigs' at DishNet?

As you may have guessed, I'm am more than a bit perturbed at these jokers right now. I guess after all the bull that I've taken from them over the years, that this is "the straw that broke the camels back".

I'm seriously looking at going to Directv, or even (gasp) even looking at Comcast cable.

I'm trying to educate myself on D* offerings. I'm not a big movie or sports fan, but I would like the cheapest dvr offering that's available, and a package that's comparable with Dish's AT200. I think that D* locals are SD only, but that really isn't that big of a deal to me right now, but I would like to have locals back after all these years of doing without.

Money is TIGHT, and I'm trying to keep my monthly costs to <$70/month. My main tv is HD, and HD channels would be nice, but are not a necessity to me at this time. The second tv is rarely watched anymore, I might just take it out.

So, if anyone has actually read all of this, and has any suggestions about Directv offerings, or even a suggestion for negotiating a better deal with Dish, I'd appreciate it.
Letter to Dish Net:
After 8:00pm Eastern time on June 7, 2010, I called Dish Network to see what would need to be done for me to receive my local DMA network channels via satellite.

I spoke to CSR Katharine (Operator code: ***). She answered many of my questions. She said that they would upgrade my model 508 dvr to a model 612. She said that there would be a $6 dvr fee, and my AT200 package would increase to $54.99/month, and no other costs, provided that I made a 24 month agreement. She even checked if I could have the $5 disconnect fee for the national PBS feed waived... (she said the PBS disconnect would be waived).

I did request that instead of taking the model 612 dvr as specified in the deal, that I'd prefer to downgrade to the model 211k HD receiver instead. She said that she could not do that, but agreed to transfer me to a supervisor to see if they could do it.

I spoke to the supervisor, who said his operator code was ***. He said that he could do the change with a model 211k HD receiver instead of the model 612 dvr, and no additional charges for the equipment.

There was never any mention of a $95 technician/installer fee by either Dish representative, until after I thought that we had everything worked out, and I'd given the supervisor my credit card number. I told him that the previous representative had not mentioned that extra fee, and he should not have waited to tell me about it until after I gave him my credit card number.

He said that I could have the installation fee reduced to $15, if I agreed to start a service agreement for $6/month. I asked if I would be charged a fee for canceling the service agreement later. He said that Dish charges a $25 cancellation fee for the service agreement. I told him that was also unacceptable, given that he didn't tell me about the $95 installers fee until after I had told him my credit card number.

I asked the supervisor if we could do the deal as we had discussed to that point, but have the equipment shipped to me, and I would install it myself and not pay the $95 installer fee. I explained that I've installed and repaired C-Band dishes. I have installed Directv systems, and I've self-installed my Dish Network systems at each location that I've lived since I've been a subscriber. I also explained that I've got a Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering, and a licensed Amateur Radio operator. In other words, I could handle my own installation. He said that he couldn't ship me the equipment so that I could install it myself, regardless of my abilities.

So, I instructed him to cancel the order, and to cancel the $1 hold that he'd mentioned earlier on my credit card.

I've been a Dish Network customer since 1998, and have no desire to change to Directv or Comcast cable. But I'm not so loyal of a customer that I will allow the Dish representatives advise me of additional fees only 'after' giving them my credit card number, and in my understanding that I wouldn't have any other fees if I agreed to a 24-month commitment. Their action was morally, if not legally, a 'bait and switch'.

I also have a basic understanding of economics. I've read that Dish Network needs to increase the number of subscribers by 15% to 20% in order to break even on the "HD Free for Life" promotion. I know that as one customer, my subscription won't make much of a difference. However, in this modern communications age with the Internet, email, forums, etc., it won't take much for me to post this letter where existing and potential customers can read it, and perhaps make a bigger impact.

I'll contact the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General of Virginia if this can't be resolved. I have written many times to my Congressman, Rick Boucher, about the availability of distant and local network channels throughout the years. He happens to be the US House of Representatives committee chairman who was instrumental in getting the STELA legislation renewed, and probably would not be happy to hear what happened.

If anyone has read all of this, then you are a 'glutton for punishment', but I congratulate you anyway!
smile.gif

The bait and switch tactic is just wrong and I understand you being upset,but a 211,222 or 722DVR on the eastern arc (61.5-72-77) would give you a better level of service than you have known before especially if you want HD,Don't except just a wing dish for the 77 slot if it comes down to that I would go with DirecTV as a new customer.

As a new DirecTV customer especially if you can get a H24 or HR24 DVR you would get a level of service way beyond what you ever had before.

Both company's are now offering free HD for life for new customer and Directv will probably give you a few more free things as well.(Not up on the current promotions)

Do yourself a favor and just stay away from cable.

Last edited:
COMCAST exploited their digital transition to grow their monopoly and trickle portions of new features for extra fees.

I'm dumping COMCAST to go to Satellite, because they have turned their service into 1990's satellite over cable. The STB and DVR's are positively awful, the one I was given is SD only and is 10 years old, sure I could get an HD one, for an extra $12 a month per TV, which would only let me get my local channels that offer HD. I have to upgrade my package to an even more expensive one to get more HD channels. DVR's are even more expensive.

Don't even waste your time with COMCAST, their lower tier service is positively awful, sure its possible to get good service with HD, but you've got to pay through the nose, more than satellite.

You may want to try a local retailer for your upgrade.

My parents are also long time (1999) subscribers and Dish wanted them to pay $100 for an upgrade. A local retailer got them a 722K and 1000.2 dish for no upgrade cost.

It's my understanding that the $95 fee is for a service call for those who do not have the service plan, and $15 for those who do. Unless I am really mistaken, an upgrade (a "dishnitup") is not a "service call", so the $95 fee should not apply.

An upgrade is not a service call

It's my understanding that the $95 fee is for a service call for those who do not have the service plan, and $15 for those who do. Unless I am really mistaken, an upgrade (a &quot;dishnitup&quot;) is not a &quot;service call&quot;, so the $95 fee should not apply.

I agree, it is not a service call.
A friend of mine got the upgrade, and he was not charged an installer fee ($95)

It seems that Dish CSR's are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, &quot;you never know just what you're gonna get&quot;.

Someone else advised me to call back, ask for a different supervisor, and that they would do right by me. They're probably right, but I'm getting tired of hassling with them.

I've thought about checking with a local dish dealer to see if they will do the upgrade deal that Dish offers, but they would have to bill Dish for any installer fees.

Like I said in the letter, I can install my own system if I can get the hardware. If the dealer won't waive the fee, I'll see if they can just provide the equipment so that I can do it myself.

The bait and switch tactic is just wrong and I understand you being upset,but a 211,222 or 722DVR on the eastern arc (61.5-72-77) would give you a better level of service than you have known before especially if you want HD,Don't except just a wing dish for the 77 slot if it comes down to that I would go with DirecTV as a new customer.

As a new DirecTV customer especially if you can get a H24 or HR24 DVR you would get a level of service way beyond what you ever had before.

Both company's are now offering free HD for life for new customer and Directv will probably give you a few more free things as well.(Not up on the current promotions)

Do yourself a favor and just stay away from cable.

I'll look into what kind of deal that Directv will offer me. However, I won't switch based upon any 'teaser' deal that they will temporarily give me for a few months. If I can't get straight answers about what my monthly costs will be after my 'introductory' rates expire, then I won't accept their 'deal' either.
Do you recommend contacting Directv directly, or working through a local dealer?
It seems as if all service providers (of any type) purposefully do things to confuse or deceive customers. I can remember when that was unheard of. I guess that means I'm getting old.
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Get a local dealer if you can, most will take a little extra time to get things the way you want them and will give you straight answers to your questions.

I contacted Retail Services a while ago. I was wrong....sort of.
Even if it IS a dishnitup (upgrade) the same rule applies...a $15 "tech visit" fee for those with the service plan, and $95 for those without the service plan.
So it applies regardless of whether or not it is a service call or an upgrade. The only thing it does not apply in is an antenna upgrade...don't ask me why.

I contacted Retail Services a while ago. I was wrong....sort of.
Even if it IS a dishnitup (upgrade) the same rule applies...a $15 "tech visit" fee for those with the service plan, and $95 for those without the service plan.
So it applies regardless of whether or not it is a service call or an upgrade. The only thing it does not apply in is an antenna upgrade...don't ask me why.

I still say they were wrong to wait until 'after' I thought that we had discussed everything and I had given them my credit card number, before they happened to mention the tech visit fee. Then on top of that, I find out that with a 'service plan' ($6/mth) that the visit would be $15, and a $25 cancellation fee, which would be $46 instead of $95 if I canceled after they did the upgrade (assuming there isn't a minimum time that you have to keep the service plan).

Even worse, after 12 or so years as a subscriber, I'm sure that they've made thou$and$ of dollar$ from my subscriptions. It should be a 'no-brainer' for them to do completely free upgrades for long-term subscribers like me.

Oh well, I'm still checking out my options and have a few weeks to decide.

Last edited:
Sorry but hearing you complain about 95$ for the installation and equipment is kind of funny. Now I am not sure what kind of installation you have but I would assume you need a 1000.4 dish so lets see 211k around 119.00$ 1000.4 including LNBF 99.00$ tech/cost including wiring and installation gas/lets round it at 99.00$. So If long term employees have to pay these same fees what makes long term customer think they don’t have to?

Also there is no such thing a service call its all one thing now Technician visit, be it 15$ or 95$. Why not save the hassle and pay the 95$ installation I am sure if you have been with dish for 12 year you must like the service why else would you wait this long to switch.

...Even worse, after 12 or so years as a subscriber, I'm sure that they've made thou$and$ of dollar$ from my subscriptions. It should be a 'no-brainer' for them to do completely free upgrades for long-term subscribers like me...

I'm glad they don't. Someone would have to pay for your free stuff, and that means the rest of us. Nothing personal, but I don't think I should have to pay so you can get free stuff at Dish...Nor should anyone else have to pay so that I can.

I'm glad they don't. Someone would have to pay for your free stuff, and that means the rest of us. Nothing personal, but I don't think I should have to pay so you can get free stuff at Dish...Nor should anyone else have to pay so that I can.

Not asking you to pay for my stuff! Consider this:

1. Dish has made thousands of dollars off of my subscriptions over 12 years. Doing an upgrade for me is a good investment. But they'll bend over backwards to subsidize 'new' customers, many of which change providers every few years, and really take advantage of 'the rest of us' (as you put it) because D* or E* is subsidizing their cut rate offerings. Where's the logic in that?

2. I've paid (outright) for 2 systems since I've been a subscriber. I bought the 1st system to become a subscriber. I bought the second system to get a dishplayer because I wanted it. Those were choices that I made.

Now they expect me to pay them more subscription money for local channels (which forces me to HD on 77* sat). They made the equipment that I willingly paid for obsolete. Although HD is cool, I would gladly settle for SD locals, but Dish only offers those channels on the HD satellite, which forces new equipment on me.

Granted, I can keep my 'grandfathered' AT200 package at $5/month less without the locals, but isn't Dish losing money that way? How are they going to build up their HD customer base if folks like me keep our old equipment & packages?

Also, sooner or later Dish is going to 'hit the wall' on how much programming they can put on their satellites with old MPEG2/dvb compression stream. At some point they're going to have to change everyone to newer MPEG4 or higher receivers anyway. Why not take opportunities like mine to keep an old customer, and also make it easier for themselves going forward? They'll eventually have to 'give away' new hardware just to keep customers once they've reached their limits on the old hardware and software, so why not help me (a good paying customer) now?

As things presently stand, I'm strongly considering changing to Directv, that way their customers can 'pay for my free stuff';...How does that sound to you?

D* and E* are always promoting reduced costs to get new customers, but not to retain good long-term paying customers. Somethings not right about that

They're lucky to have long time customers like me after all the BS they've put me through over the years.

That's all

I still say they were wrong to wait until 'after' I thought that we had discussed everything and I had given them my credit card number, before they happened to mention the tech visit fee.

Sorry, I missed that part. I agree.

Also there is no such thing a service call its all one thing now Technician visit, be it 15$ or 95$

That is true, but for some of antenna upgrades there is no "tech visit" fee, yet it still requires a tech visit. Wonder why?

Sorry but hearing you complain about 95$ for the installation and equipment is kind of funny. Now I am not sure what kind of installation you have but I would assume you need a 1000.4 dish so lets see 211k around 119.00$ 1000.4 including LNBF 99.00$ tech/cost including wiring and installation gas/lets round it at 99.00$. So If long term employees have to pay these same fees what makes long term customer think they don’t have to?

Also there is no such thing a service call its all one thing now Technician visit, be it 15$ or 95$. Why not save the hassle and pay the 95$ installation I am sure if you have been with dish for 12 year you must like the service why else would you wait this long to switch.

As I said to the supervisor at Dish, and in my letter to customer service and Charlie Ergen, I would gladly install the equipment myself if they would send it to me.

I replaced my coax this past winter because the old cable failed, so I know that it's still good (currently dish500 with dp pro lnb). Basically all I'd need to do is mount and aim the new dish, and call DN with my new card info.

I've installed every sat system that I've ever owned, from C-Band to present, so I think that I could handle it...I'd even agree to pay the ~$20 shipping if they'd provide the hardware as outlined in the dishitup deal.

By the way, the $15 is really $46 because that comes after the $6/month and $25 cancellation fee.

I've been with Dish for 12 years because they've generally had the cheaper packages in the DBS systems. I actually started out with a Directv system (1st gen RCA unit). I even had an AlphaStar that I got through my employer (ever hear of that?).

I noticed that you quoted the prices of a 1000.4 dish and 211k receiver. In a way, you made my point, because if those costs seem low to you, then they should seem like nothing to DishNet, especially when compared to what they've made off of me through the years.
Thanks

I'll look into what kind of deal that Directv will offer me. However, I won't switch based upon any 'teaser' deal that they will temporarily give me for a few months. If I can't get straight answers about what my monthly costs will be after my 'introductory' rates expire, then I won't accept their 'deal' either.

I've been giving Directv a real hard look lately - mostly for the MRV solution (yes, I know Dish will be able to do this with Sling, but it will be many months and lots of $$ before Dish can do what Directv can do now). One of the things I find nice about Directv's website is that it breaks down exactly what you will be charged for EACH MONTH for the duration of the 24 month contract. You know before ever signing up what your bill 22 months from now will be. It really helps figure out what your *real* commitment is.

COMCAST exploited their digital transition to grow their monopoly and trickle portions of new features for extra fees.

I'm dumping COMCAST to go to Satellite, because they have turned their service into 1990's satellite over cable. The STB and DVR's are positively awful, the one I was given is SD only and is 10 years old, sure I could get an HD one, for an extra $12 a month per TV, which would only let me get my local channels that offer HD. I have to upgrade my package to an even more expensive one to get more HD channels. DVR's are even more expensive.

Don't even waste your time with COMCAST, their lower tier service is positively awful, sure its possible to get good service with HD, but you've got to pay through the nose, more than satellite.
I'll second that!

I've installed every sat system that I've ever owned, from C-Band to present, so I think that I could handle it...I'd even agree to pay the ~$20 shipping if they'd provide the hardware as outlined in the dishitup deal.

By the way, the $15 is really $46 because that comes after the $6/month and $25 cancellation fee.

Sounds like you do not want to pay the DIU price and you do not have DHPP...

I have been with Dish for a long time. (Basement is torn up from work there - cant get to my records for exact date). DHPP on the account from day one.

I started out with a 311 and a 811. Upgraded the 811 to a 942. paid the DIU charge. Over the years I have accumulated the receivers in my sig by either purchasing them or leasing them when my contract would allow. Every time paying the DUI charge and agreeing to the additional commitment. 942 was upgraded to a 622 at DIU rate. Other VIP receivers were added as my contract allowed. Yes I'm over the limit for what a phone call to a CSR will allow, but using the CEO email to your advantage will work if you play by the rules. I have another 211 which I will soon be adding on plus another DPP44 to handle everything - Both purchased.

Having DHPP from day one is to your advantage.

I have never asked Dish for a free upgrade and never will. I got the 922 for the $250.00 deal. Glad I did it...

Times have changed with Dish upgrades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)