Convert my Superdish 121 to a 1000+??

MI_GTO

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Mt Pleasant, Michigan
OK, I'm fed up with the rain fade and crappy 129 signals with my dish1000. I want to convert my old Superdish 121 to a 1000+. Exactly what do I need to do this? I thought I only needed the LNBF assembly, but you can only get it from dishstore.net by purchasing the 500+. I don't want the dish just the LNBF. Also can I just attatch one of the LNB's from my 1000 to the 1000+ for 129?

Why not just leave the D1000 as-is for 110 and 119 and set up a second dish (whatever model) for 129? That way you can optimize the 129 signal apart from the 110/119 signals. Depending on your location you might be able to point to 61.5 instead of 129 for better results (but that will loose any HD LiLs you get from 129, if/when you can get them).

If you have a separate switch, then each LNBF would feed it independently. If you have only the dish(es) and LNBFs, I believe one on the D1000 is a DPP Twin for 110/119. Just feed the independent LNBF for 129 into the input on the Twin and use one downlead to your receiver (or two D/Ls for 2 receivers) from the Twin. Use the LNBF on the SD that received 110/119 for 61.5/129, or else replace the LNBFs on the SD with the single from the D1000. I think one of these options will work without you having to purchase additional equipment...

I'm waiting for the "Repoint Kit" to come out to convert my SuperDish 121 to whatever they are going to call it (for 110/118.7/119/129).

Unless you need 118.7, I think the 2 dish option may be the easiest way to go and peak each dish. If you don't need 121, then it shouldn't matter which dish you use for what.
...SD 121 could be re-alligned to pick up 129 using the 119 or the 110 LNBF; or
...Dish 1000 could be re-alligned to pick up 129 for the best signal, maybe even using the 119 LNBF.
...Use the other dish to peak 110/119.

However, why make it easy. Here's a couple of choices.

(1) A little after Team Summit ended, I believe Scott posted a thread from another site, or something, which showed how someone obtained the LNBF assembly for the 500+/1000+, possibly by buying the whole dish. He then modified the arm, or some other bracket by drilling holes in different locations which changes the focal of the LNBF cluster, when attaching it to the SuperDish 121. This provided him with the 110/118.7/119/129 orbital locations, and using the largest of the Dish dishes.

(2) Or you can go even easier than than. Well before Team Summit, I knew there was going to be a 4 orbital location dish coming out, but did not know which birds. While waiting to find out what new toys would be available, I bought a DP Dual LNBF and I-Bracket and duct taped it to the side of my SuperDish 121. Just before taping, I held it against the side of the shroud (121 side) and moved it to find the best signal. I then taped it.
---I could use spaces for a slightly better signal, but not worth the time.
---The duct tape may need tightening every 6 weeks.

If the Repoint Kit is not available soon, I will either buy a Dish 500+ and use my extra DP Dual LNBF to make it a 1000+, or cut me a couple of pieces of rectangle pipe (arm from a Dish or DirecTV) and make a permanent bracket.

Here's the picture.

EDIT:
Yesterday I called Dish Store, and I believe he only had 1 Dish 500+/1000+ left. Although Dish Store doesn't make you buy the mounting foot, swtich. etc..., you are able to buy just the dish and LNBF assembly. The majority of that price is for the LNBF assembly, so you are not wasting that much money. However, I'm sure he would sell you both the dish and LNBF assembly and not ship the dish if you did not want it. I did not ask, but shipping the LNBF assembly may be cheaper than shipping it with the dish, and maybe you could save some expense there.

EDIT:
I don't know what adjustments would be needed to remove the cluster from the SuperDish 121, and replace it with a "single DP Dual LNBF" or even the "Dish 1000 LNBF Cluster". Let us know if you try it.

Attachments

• SuperDish121--DPP-44--129-LNBF.JPG
    SuperDish121--DPP-44--129-LNBF.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:
Why not take the superdish pan and switch it with the dish 1000 pan? Then you could use the lnb holder and mast of the dish 1000 and attach it to the super dish pan. It might give you better signal strength since the dish is bigger. All you have to do is loosen the bolts holding the pan and switch them out.

I did this with my dish 500 mast and assembly and used my dish 1000 pan with it as the dish. I did this for just the 110/119 sats . I tried to see if it would gain any more strength, but It didn't really make that much difference. It did make the dish look better since I wasn't using it for 129 sat anymore.It looked more centered with the dish 500 mast and lnb assembly.

Try it and see if you get any better signal strengths and post back here what you find, if you want to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)