Converting from Dual Upgrade Kit to Single LNB

james55

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Santa Paula, CA
Hi, About a year ago, with considerable assistance from Iceberg et al., I converted from a single LNB aimed at AMC 4 satellite {SDA channels}. I ended up with a 'workable' compromise between the aiming of the two LNBs. Now, I no longer need/want the 3 SDA channels.

I want to convert back to a single LNB pointed directly at Galaxy 25 {IA-5}. I plan on using the single mount I originally used for the AMC 4 satellite. Why do I want to do this? To maximize signal sttrength on all IA-5 channels.

I noticed on geosatfinder.com, the dish aiming coordinates show different coordinates {below}.

97.00° W - Galaxy 25 (IA 5 / T5) 144.30° 131.00° 43.60° -28.80°
99.00° W - Glorystar Package 147.10° 133.70° 44.70° -26.66°

I'm assuming I would use the top {97} coordinates? If I'm correct on this, I have two questions relative to the single LNB mount. The instructions that accompanied the dual upgrade insisted the distance from the reflector to the clamp be 3/4 inch.

The LNB on the AMC 4 mount gave no specific dimension. I just slid the LNB in all the way to the hump {approx .900 inch}. How should I proceed with the this configuration?

First question: Is there a magic dimension? Or do I just slide it all the way to the hump as with the AMC4 install?

Second question: the LNB rotation calls for negative 28.8 {going off the '97' coordinates]. My bracket only goes to 20. I'll have to apply Kentucky windage and guesstimate. How critical is this coordinate? Or, does close count?

My equipment: 36-in GEOSAT dish {with Azure Shine stamp}, GEOSAT DVR1000ci receiver.

Thanks for your help and comments - james

I noticed on geosatfinder.com, the dish aiming coordinates show different coordinates {below}.

97.00° W - Galaxy 25 (IA 5 / T5) 144.30° 131.00° 43.60° -28.80°
99.00° W - Glorystar Package 147.10° 133.70° 44.70° -26.66°
I'm assuming I would use the top {97} coordinates?
correct...looks like a degree higher and 2 degrees east. 2 degrees east is a very minimal move. Like leaning into the dish.
If I'm correct on this, I have two questions relative to the single LNB mount. The instructions that accompanied the dual upgrade insisted the distance from the reflector to the clamp be 3/4 inch.
I would try all the way back and then move it foward if need be. All the LNB's I use are pushed all the way back

First question[/U]: Is there a magic dimension? Or do I just slide it all the way to the hump as with the AMC4 install?
no magic dimension. Just T & E (Trial & error)
Second question: the LNB rotation calls for negative 28.8 {going off the '97' coordinates]. My bracket only goes to 20. I'll have to apply Kentucky windage and guesstimate. How critical is this coordinate? Or, does close count?
you can skew it more than that. Skew is important because you need to be at 29...But again, that is also T & E. I would go a little past 20 and once you lock in the signal, than tweak it from there.

So it looks like a little bit of an elevation change. What I would do is bring up a channel on the 12177 transponder (JCTV, TBN, Church Channel, etc) and get that locked in. Then switch to a different channel on a weaker transponder and fine tune from there

If you wanted to add the AMC4 stuff later you can. Those signals are very strong so all you could do is hand aim it and hoseclamp the LNB's together. I do that all the time with setups :)

Thanks Iceberg for the fast and very detailed response. I'll most likely try the switch this weekend, when the neighbor lady will watch the signal on the monitor.

I'll post back if problems arise.

Thanks - james

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)