Convince Me That Dish is Better

You've made a good start now, by at least telling us what you want to see on your TV. ;)

Hmm... Vegas PBS KLVX only has one channel... some areas (like Los Angeles) have several subchannels in their PBS that have extra educational programming. So, while that is still a viable option, it has less substance.

Interestingly, on satellite, the educational programming in HD is only in the expensive packages, while the just-for-fun kids programming is in the cheapest packages.

Okay, so you need to compare the packages in Dish and DirecTV that carry those channels, and see the difference in price, and which provider carries which channels.

We've already done that. I know which plan I'd choose for each one. For me, it's right now more of a functional issue with the service.

Is DirecTv equipment going to be better? Or would we be better to go with Dish for reliable equipment? I'm not incredibly tech-savvy. I know enough to get by & be a little dangerous, but not much more.

If we go with Dish, we'd get the Dual HD DVR. If we go with DirecTv, we'd have to get 2 receivers. One would be HD DVR & the other would be standard, non-DVR.

Amy

If we go with DirecTv, we'd have to get 2 receivers. One would be HD DVR & the other would be standard, non-DVR.

Actually now on DirecTV, you can upgrade the 2nd receiver to HD (non-DVR) for FREE, along with a FREE HD DVR for your primary one. It is a national promotion, but I do believe you have to take at least Choice+ prog.

You've made a good start now, by at least telling us what you want to see on your TV. ;)

Hmm... Vegas PBS KLVX only has one channel... some areas (like Los Angeles) have several subchannels in their PBS that have extra educational programming. So, while that is still a viable option, it has less substance.

Interestingly, on satellite, the educational programming in HD is only in the expensive packages, while the just-for-fun kids programming is in the cheapest packages.

Okay, so you need to compare the packages in Dish and DirecTV that carry those channels, and see the difference in price, and which provider carries which channels.

Also, PBS doesn't really have the educational programs we're looking for overall now that our kids are older. Some of their biographical shows are great, but most of what we're looking for is only available on the 200 or 250 tier.

Amy

If you stay with them for two years, then it is better to just get the leased receiver (assuming that it is significantly less money).

The purchased receiver has only the advantage of being saleable if you change your mind in six months.

Just like with a car, compare the total cost of leasing over the period of subscription versus the purchase price minus the selling price.

PS If a satellite or cable company stops using a particular receiver (or set top box) on their system, then it becomes worthless...

The costs I figured are based on my upfront costs (which also includes the installation fee since I can't get that free) & the total price over 2 years for both companies.

Dish comes out a little higher (around $40 total) over the 2 years.

Honestly, the only reason I'm wavering with Dish is because of the higher upfront cost...even though the difference is only $40 over the 2 years. If it weren't for that higher upfront cost, there'd be no competition! It'd be Dish no question!

The reason I'm still considering Dish despite the high up-front cost is because their plan (assuming no cost increases) will be significantly lower by the 3rd year. DirecTV will be $86/mth & Dish will be $69. (Actually, they'll be that in the 2nd year, but I averaged the total cost over 2 years since we'd have to sign a contract with either company for the promotional rate.)

I've toyed with purchasing a unit (722K perhaps) because I know we'll have it for so long. I just hate to put so much money up front with nothing to show for it! It's one thing to pay a $200 deposit that you'll get back in a year after good payments, it's another to just hand it over to the company with nothing to show for it!

Thanks for your help, guys!

Amy

Actually now on DirecTV, you can upgrade the 2nd receiver to HD (non-DVR) for FREE, along with a FREE HD DVR for your primary one. It is a national promotion, but I do believe you have to take at least Choice+ prog.

We'd be getting Choice Xtra so that's what we'd qualify for. I also had Dish run our credit & there were no extra deposits with them & no cost for the receivers. We already have a DirecTV dish on our house from a previous tenant.

They're just so much more expensive in the long-run. Figuring the costs over years 3 & 4, the average monthly cost for Dish would go down...it would go UP with DirecTV.

I posted here because I WANT to spend the extra $40 (over 2 years) to go with Dish. I DO! I just waver because of that upfront fee! AARGH!

Perhaps I should just listen to my husband who's telling me to quit stressing about it & just do it!

DirecTV is so expensive that I would WANT us to cancel after the 2 years...and go with Dish or do without until we could get something cheaper. So why wouldn't I just start out with Dish in the first place?

Okay! I think my decision is made! Yes. I'm an external processor. Now...to figure out definitely whether to buy or lease.

Amy

PS If a satellite or cable company stops using a particular receiver (or set top box) on their system, then it becomes worthless...

I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. If they stop using a receiver, does that mean they just stop selling it to new customers & weed it out as people upgrade or does that mean that everyone who is currently using that receiver MUST upgrade or lose service? If that's the case, how much warning do they give before that happens? Do they give a significant discount for an upgrade if they're going to completely stop using your unit?

Thanks!

Amy

It sounds like you've already done a lot of research, but you should try giving Claude at Dishstore.net a call. He's a sponsor here, you can click on his ad at the top of the page. See what he can do for you.

Yaz' suggestion is a good one. Claude will find you the best possible deal with Dish. When dealing with Dish directly, you sometimes end up with overseas help who don't clearly understand your needs.

DirecTV may also shun you because of the issues on your credit. They may make it more difficult or costly to startup once you give them your info.

I too had medical bills that hounded me for quite some time. It is disappointing that hospitals are unable to work with people to help keep this stuff off of your credit report. It's also disappointing that other businesses can't look at a credit report and see that, aside from a medical crisis, you were once a good credit risk.

Based on what I've read, it looks like Dish will be a good choice for you. BTW...I was watching the History Channel this weekend and found it quite interesting. Probably a great tool for the home schooling parent.

Just FYI that Claude is out at Team Summit and will be out of the office until Monday. I would suggest waiting and talking with him on Monday for the best deal possible.

We've already done that. I know which plan I'd choose for each one. For me, it's right now more of a functional issue with the service.

Is DirecTv equipment going to be better? Or would we be better to go with Dish for reliable equipment? I'm not incredibly tech-savvy. I know enough to get by & be a little dangerous, but not much more.

If we go with Dish, we'd get the Dual HD DVR. If we go with DirecTv, we'd have to get 2 receivers. One would be HD DVR & the other would be standard, non-DVR.

Amy
As a Direct sub myself and one that would never go with Dish (because they do not provide the options I like), it appears after reading your post that Dish is definitely the better choice for you. There equipment is better, they provide what you need, and since you have 1 HD and 1 SD TV, you can use one duel DVR (no extra equipment fee for you).

A Direct sub recommending that you go with Dish

After reading the entire thread I must tip my hat to you and yours ThoughtsofTHATmom. You are a great American!

I only wish that the countless others had even a hint of the courage and the integrity that you do. :up

+1
Talk to Claude. He can get you the absolutely best deal in the known universe. :)

Thanks! I saw his name mentioned before, but wasn't sure he could do me any good since I'd be on their "you have crappy credit" plan. It's worth a shot, though!

I'll call him on Monday!

Amy

As a Direct sub myself and one that would never go with Dish (because they do not provide the options I like), it appears after reading your post that Dish is definitely the better choice for you. There equipment is better, they provide what you need, and since you have 1 HD and 1 SD TV, you can use one duel DVR (no extra equipment fee for you).

A Direct sub recommending that you go with Dish

Thanks for the confirmation! I really wanted to go with Dish, I just needed to get over the up-front non-refundable "upgrade" fee. I'm still not over it, but I'll deal with it.

Thanks again!

Amy

After reading the entire thread I must tip my hat to you and yours ThoughtsofTHATmom. You are a great American!

I only wish that the countless others had even a hint of the courage and the integrity that you do. :up

You're too kind. We just did what we should do. I know there are others like us. I've met them. They're just not out-going, vocal bloggers like me. :)

Amy

Someone having bad credit (especially when it's SOLEY because of medical bills) is NOT someone who is financially irresponsible. Talk to me when YOU can pay $41,000 in medical bills in 1 year...or are willing to say no to blood transfusions & other treatments for your child to avoid those bills.

Seriously!

Amy
First off, glad to here that the hospital bills are in the past, not in the present. Secondly, you can leave your attitude at the door. In no way did I say that your were financially reckless. With that attitude, I should recommend that you get Comcast or Time Warner!

Respond to what a person says, not what they didn't say.

Again, see my response to the other guy. NO WHERE in my original post did I say that we "have financial problems" I said that our credit is crappy "thanks to over $41,000 in medical bills". Which it IS! And there's NOTHING we can do about that!

I'd chime in to defend those responses because of the way you made it sound originally, I believe it was (unintentionally) misleading. Most people with "crappy credit" have tons of debt, it's a reasonable assumption. However, if I understand your clarification correctly, it doesn't sound like you should have "crappy credit". It sounds like you racked up some (unavoidable) debt from our lovely health care system, and worked your a$$ off to pay it off. Highly commendable actions (though it's certainly not my place to pass judgement, good OR bad) and a tough thing to do, but by itself it's not credit destructive.

Since you did get it all paid off (and in a timely manner), are you sure your credit is so "crappy"? I'm guessing you would know, so you probably had to do some "dealing" with the creditors, but that ought to be the exact right thing to do to protect your credit. Shoot, I would figure that the credit folks would be falling all over themselves to try to get you back on the credit wagon, seeing as how you've just proven yourself (the hard way!) to be a responsible creditee.

Anyway, I'd +1 to talking to Claude, hopefully there's a way to waive some of these credit requirements upfront and save you some money. I wouldn't necessarily avoid credit cards if I were you, since you they obviously aren't what caused or contributed to your problem, and could save you money in the long run (when used responsibly). I personally hate auto-pay setups, but I use them sometimes when they'll save me money (and cancel them as soon as I can once they do).

As for the Direct vs. Dish decision, I generally actually discount the weight of the upfront costs a lot if I plan to be with something for a long time. Dish has the better DVR and mostly better movies, while Direct has mostly better sports. If I were you I'd push for trying to waive some of the upfront credit-related costs and go with Dish. The owning vs. leasing equipment option really shouldn't be a huge decision point, with technology changing so fast, leasing can actually be a better option sometimes.

Dish has the better DVR and mostly better movies, while Direct has mostly better sports.

I'm gonna fire TWC and get a dish, is there a site/link that does a direct side by side comparison of the two satellite companies?

I need boxes for 3 systems, one with a HD-DVR and the others with HD, who offers the best QUALITY as well as customer satisfaction?

The thread is titled Convince Me That Dish is Better Well,,,Please do the same for me,, I don't care what it cost's, I want the best.

LQQK

I'm gonna fire TWC and get a dish, is there a site/link that does a direct side by side comparison of the two satellite companies?

I need boxes for 3 systems, one with a HD-DVR and the others with HD, who offers the best QUALITY as well as customer satisfaction?

The thread is titled Convince Me That Dish is Better Well,,,Please do the same for me,, I don't care what it cost's, I want the best.
LQQK

First, I would itemize what *you* want/need from your service. Things like:

• *Necessary* stations/content (include whether HD is required)
  • *Desirable* stations/content (but not necessarily deal breakers)
  • Desired equipment functionality
    • DVR
    • HD
    • Multi-room viewing
    • Remote access and control
    • Streaming/Remote viewing
  • Price limits (upper limit you are willing to pay)
  • etc.
Personally, once I did that, the decision pretty much made itself. The major one was that Direct doesn't even offer locals in my area (and at least one local is completely impossible to get off-air without a big-a$$ antenna). That and the fact that Dish had the channels I wanted in a lower package, so it was much cheaper overall. Add in the higher quality DVR that worked in 2 rooms, and there was simply no real decision to be made.

Obviously, for others the decision factors will be different, in depends on your location, channel preferences, equipment functionality needs (and number of sets), and price sensitivity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)