Coolsat 5000 or SG2100 problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

walt991

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2006
I'm having an issue moving my SG2100 from my Coolsat 5000. It just stopped working.

When I press the button on the SG2100, the motor moves without any issues, and the green light is lit on the motor. If I try to move using the Coolsat, it doesn't move.

I'm receiving signals fine on the coolsat, all menus seem to work, and I did a factory default, but cannot move the motor from the menu.

Does anyone know how to test to see if my issue is with the SG2100 or the Coolsat 5000?

Check the cable. I had a cut in mine once and it allowed the light to stay green ,but not move the motor.

huh :confused:

My father's GS120 started acting up after I removed my Chieta Heavy Duty and replaced it with old non-Ecoda 22kHz tone switch.
It refused to move almost every time. When it did move it would only move to the end of the arc, stopping when it hit the hardware limits. :(

Fixed by reinserting the DiSEqC switch between the motor and LNB.... :confused:

That was the only time it ever acted up with a Coolsat 6000 controlling it...

Back on topic:
So just to confirm, you've tried to move it via:
Menu => Installation => Motorized settings
Setting DiSEqC motor to "1.2"
The pushing left or right while on "Move" and the motor does not respond?

I tried a temp cable ;aid across the grass, but it didnt fix the problem.

To confirm, yes I tried Menu => Installation => Motorized settings
The pushing left or right while on "Move" but it still doesn't move.

huh :confused:

My father's GS120 started acting up after I removed my Chieta Heavy Duty and replaced it with old non-Ecoda 22kHz tone switch.
It refused to move almost every time. When it did move it would only move to the end of the arc, stopping when it hit the hardware limits. :(

Fixed by reinserting the DiSEqC switch between the motor and LNB.... :confused:

That was the only time it ever acted up with a Coolsat 6000 controlling it...

Back on topic:
So just to confirm, you've tried to move it via:
Menu => Installation => Motorized settings
The pushing left or right while on "Move" and the motor does not respond?

Wow thats a good one. Hmmmm...............what about the old turn the box off for a while then turn it back on? Are you located on a sat that you can get a signal and quality?

Ummm........

Again, to confirm the cable from the LNB is connected to the LNB connector on the motor and the RECV connector on the motor is ran to the Coolsat?

Can you wiggle the connectors at the motor at all?

Did you try motor hardware reset?

Check INDICATING LED on the motor while operating from the menu.
Is it Green ON, or Orange Blink, or Orange On?

Only other option I can think of is to compare against another receiver.

I moved the motor indoors with a 5 FT piece of coax to the receiver, but it still doesn't move when I move East or West from the Coolsat menu.

What other tests can I try to prove if the SG2100 or Coolsat is bad?

Does the voltage change coming out of the receiver when trying to move the motor? I can put a voltmeter on, but I need to know what to look for.

My 6000 has done this a couple of times, for some reason it will hang. Pull the plug for a bit, plug it back in and try again. If you are moving it with the button on the motor while it is hooked up to the Coolsat it is getting power from the unit. Try to reset the motor (small hole on the motor with a button inside, a paper clip works well to reset) and see if that helps.

Too much heat?

Walt,

Here are some new thoughts...

On my CS5000, my wife and I noticed zero problems during the winter months as the average house room temperature is quite low (between 50F and 68F).

Now that summer is here, the average house temperature is considerably higher. We have noticed that our receiver has become more sluggish in locking onto a signal. In other words, we get a black screen for 30 or more seconds before the signal locks in, and it's slowly getting worse.

I'm wondering if your receiver is overheating. Mine may be doing the same with different effects.

Is there a way you can cool down your box and see if it has a positive effect?
I may add a 12V computer cooling fan on top of my box to see if it helps.

If it does make a difference, it's just another indicator that the receiver is the culprit.

Know anyone that has another receiver to try (yea I know that one is a long shot). I doubt the motor is bad since it moves. Sounds more like a receiver issue. Does the light blink at all or change color to orange when you try to move it with the receiver?

I don't have another receiver to test with. When I try to move the dish from the coolsat menu, the LED on the motor remains green. I noticed that the LED blinks red 6 times whenever I apply power to the motor.

I'm starting to think the issue is with the receiver, but still not sure.

Another question...If I hold the channel up while I power up the Coolsat, it goes into a diagnostic menu. Is anyone familiar with this? Can I use it to help troubleshoot my problem?

I don't have another receiver to test with. When I try to move the dish from the coolsat menu, the LED on the motor remains green. I noticed that the LED blinks red 6 times whenever I apply power to the motor.

I'm starting to think the issue is with the receiver, but still not sure.

That appears to be a Power On Reset (POR) indication.

My SG2100 motor manual says that after power up, the LED will blink 6 times, then switch to green. It sounds like the motor is powering up normally.

The manual does state that you can check for 350 mA power to the motor. Less than that is a problem. If you have a way to tie in an AMP meter, you can verify whether or not it's there. Manual does not state what the value is for stationary or moving.

Manual does state that if the LED blinks orange while giving DiSEqC 1.2 command, the motor is receiving the command.

Another question...If I hold the channel up while I power up the Coolsat, it goes into a diagnostic menu. Is anyone familiar with this? Can I use it to help troubleshoot my problem?

I will try that when I get a chance. The family is parked in front of the FTA at the moment. I can't risk a mutiny.

Oh wait, here we go, specs:

50 mA Standby
200 mA Normal
350 mA MAX (I'm assuming motor travel under load)

Lastly, you want to make sure Software Limits have been turned off in case they were some how activated. I can't imagine that happening, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure they are turned off.

You did state that the motor runs under manual operation, so we know it's getting power. That leaves checking the DiSEqC 1.2 commands.

Last edited:
Everything seems to indicate that you are not sending any DiSEqC commands. You could try a known good DiSEqC switch and test it on a known good port to a known good lnb with a known good signal. That would prove/disprove that the command protocols are able to be generated and can be carried to the destination thru the cabling and connectors.
Another thing to try is to do a factory reset or even re-flash back to factory fresh FW, to be certain that the DiSEqC subroutine FW on the box hasnt been corrupted. I would back up your channel/sat config first via Channelmaster so you dont have to redo all of that again. (While you are there you might want to add the CW feeds on 91W if you do C band.)
Let us know how you made out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)