Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
Cooper Nuclear Plant. Fort Calhoun NE

With all the heavy rain around here, things are finally starting to heat up! The flooding along the Misuori river has forced officials to build a berm around the power station at Fort Calhoun. The Brownsville Nuclear plant down stream in Nebraska is still dry.

However, on June 7th the Cooper station had a fire that stopped the cooling pumps for the spent fuel rods for over 90 minutes. Prior to this the plant was at level 1 emergency due to the flood. After June 7th the warning was placed at level 4, and a no fly zone over or within two miles of the plant was ordered by the FAA. Also news black outs of the on going problems at the plant was ordered. Armed guards are now patroling the area to keep news reportors away.

I was made aware of the on going drama at the plant just yesterday from a freind who is an EMT at a fire station. Checked it out on the web and sure enough there is plenty of coverage on this. You tube has tons of news footage from sources like MSNBC, RT news and others. Our local news justs states everything will be OK as long as the berm around the plant holds back the Misouri river water. NEWS FLASH, the berm failed early this morning and they are now scrambling to pump water out of the turbine rooms!

The crippled plant has had its problems in the past and is leaking radioactive tridium. Maybe all the flooding will wash the nueclear waste down stream to places along the Mississippi delta!

Try and attach a small photo of the plant taken a few weeks back before the river rose another foot or so. By the way, its been pouring rain the past several days all over the drainage area of the Misouri river from Montana to the Dakotos and Iowa, Nebraska, you name it- wide spread 2 plus inch rains. Had nearly a foot of rain here in the past week and a half over an already saturated ground. Wonder what this will due to the river levels now?:rolleyes:

There is some real crazy news going on around the world concerning the Cooper Nueclear plant in Nebraska, and fears of a core melt down. They are comparing this to the disaster at the Fukushima plant in Japan. So far I not glowing in the dark and nothing has fallen off, but will keep you all in the loup in case anything spectacular happens around my neck of the woods.

Attachments

• fort-calhoun-nuclear-power-station.jpg
    fort-calhoun-nuclear-power-station.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Conky-

a lot of plant stuff is under-reported. Ohio was 3/8 of an inch of stainless steel away from a potential Chernobyl but not many people have ever heard of it
I think our government wants to down play anything along these lines. They are afraid of public outcry, fear it will halt construction of new nuclear plants in the future.

By down playing all this may have back fired, and news agencies around the world all running rampid with speculations of the worst scenario. The closets accurate acount I have found to this is The NY Times artical (see link): hxxp://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/us/21flood.html

Also a link to some of the hype you will see on you tube when googling this: hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9UC1hBJkZs

Last edited:
All the talk about the possible melt down at the plant doesn't really scare me unless something like the failure of the Peck damn occurs in Montana. Then all bets are off and its time to pack up and head for higher ground many hundreds of miles away!

Here is the deal; if it keeps raining over Montana, and snow melt worsens, then you have a real potential of the Peck damn failing. If the Peck damn goes, then goes all the damns on the Missouri river and places like Omaha and ST Luois will be under water by 50 feet or more. Then both nuclear plants will go into melt down- the start of the end for all in many states. THE END TIMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!

Check out this video link, the guy states it better then I can: hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrKy_81KBec

To put the watershed of the Missouri River dams into perspective....

In the list of the largest "top ten" or "big ten" reservoirs in the entire United states by volume, the Missouri River itself has "4" that's FOUR reservoirs on the list!

Lake Sakakawea (24,200,000 acre feet in North Dakota) + Lake Oahe (23,500,000 acre feet in South Dakota/North Dakota) + Fort Peck Lake (18,700,000 acre feet in Montana) + Lake Francis Case (5,700,000 acre feet - South Dakota). If you want to add a few others, there is Lake Sharpe in South Dakota (1,910,000 acre feet) + Canyon Ferry in Montana (2,051,000 acre feet).

Lake Mead and Lake Powell added together would make up only 70% of this volume.

That's six reservoirs in the top 30 largest in the entire U.S. With a total volume of water equal to 76,061,000 acre feet of water. This would roughly cover the entire state of Arizona or New Mexico with one foot of water. Rhode Island would be covered in 114 feet of water.

We are hoping that the dams hold!

RADAR

As for the Nuke plants, I am not worried. I live within 30 miles of the Fort Calhoun Nuke Plant and I see no ill effects, yet. We are safe as they are taking exceptional measures to safeguard the plant/s. If the dam bursts upstream, I will drown before the radioactivity kills me.

RADAR

From what I understand from the news tonight, they're planning on shutting down the plant and bring in power from an alternate source.

There have already been many victims of radiation fallout from american above-ground nuclear weapons tests, accidents and even intentional releases.

Do a Google search for "Hanford Downwinders" to read some truly scary stuff.

Update:

On the 10:00PM news cast yesterday for channel 7 KETV out of Omaha they were letting reporters inside the Fort Calhoun plant to show that everything was under control. Sorry I did not stay up to see the news cast.

Also they have organized a special panel to due damage control after this went world wide on the web to squash all the rumors. Kind of late to start thinking about that now.

Will we ever know the real truth until decades later? You have to wonder when our government intentionally irradiates its own people just to test the long term effects of exsposure, then keeps it secret for decades and no compensation for those who suffered from the experiment.

Just to add more information regarding the Missouri River dams....

There are many dams and reservoirs on the river. Some of the smaller ones are what they call "run-of-the-river" dams. This means that they are hydro-electrical generation dams and store very little water behind the dam. The hydro plants use the "running power" of the river at large for power generation. The bigger dams are listed below (I already listed the largest four in a previous post, but this list contains all of the major dams listed alphabetically).

Big Bend Dam @ Fort Thompson, S.D. Creates Lake Sharpe completed in 1966. Capacity 1,910.000 acre feet

Fort Peck Dam @ Glasgow, MT. Creates Fort Peck Lake. Completed in 1961. Capacity 18,700,000 acre feet

Fort Randall Dam @ Fort Randall/Pickstown S.D. Creates Lake Francis Case. Completed in 1956. Capacity 5,700,000 acre feet.

Garrison Dam @ Bismarck/Winot, N.D. Creates Lake Sakakawea. Completed in 1953. Capacity 24,000,000 acre feet.

Gavin's Point Dam @ Yankton, S.D. Creates Lewis and Clark Lake. Completed in 1957. Capacity 492,000 acre feet.

Hauser Dam @ Helena, MT. Creates Hauser Reservoir. Completed in 1911. Capacity 98,000 acre feet.

Holter Dam @ Helena, MT. Creates Holter Reservoir. Completed in 1918. Capacity 243,000 acre feet.

Oahe Dam @ Bismark N.D. / Pierre, S.D. Creates Lake Oahe. Completed in 1962. Capacity 23,500,000 acre feet.

Total capacity = 74,643,000 acre feet or 3.251449 E 12 Cubic Feet.

LIST OF LARGEST RESERVOIRS IN THE USA:

RANK- DAM NAME - RESERVOIR NAME - STATE - CAPACITY (Cubic Meters) - YEAR COMPLETED
1 Hoover Lake Mead Nevada 34850000 1936
2 Glen Canyon Lake Powell Arizona 33300000 1966
3 Garrison Lake Sakakawea North Dakota 27920000 1953 ? Missouri River
4 Oahe Lake Oahe South Dakota 27430000 1958 ? Missouri River
5 Fort Peck Fort Peck Lake Montana 22120000 1937 ? Missouri River
6 Grand Coulee F.D.Roosevelt Lake Washington 11790000 1942
7 Libby Lake Koocanusa Montana 7170000 1973
8 Fort Randall Lake Francis Case South Dakota 5700000 1952 ? Missouri
9 Shasta lake Shasta California 5610000 1945
10 Toledo Bend Toledo Bend Lake Lousiana 5520000 1968

RADAR

Last edited:
How does that river flow at all, with all those dams lol. Or should I have said dam radar you sure know your dams!

Do you realize how much water this really is? 74,643,000 acre feet?

Stack all of this water on one acre of land and keep it contained to that space, ok? The depth of the water on that one acre of land would be 14,190 miles!
The peak of Mount Everest is only 5.5 miles above sea level and the Mariana Trench is only 6.8 miles deep! We are talking more than 14,000 MILES!

An acre foot of water is the volume of water that would cover a ground surface 66 feet X 660 feet (one acre) with one foot of water.

The Missouri River is 2,341 miles long from the headwater in Montana to its mouth on the Mississippi River. If the Missouri River were 660 feet wide for it's entire length, and you let all this water go from every dam, the river would be 398+ feet deep!

Lake Erie is 116 cubic miles in volume. The total of these reservoirs is 22 cubic miles. Seems slightly smaller in comparison here, but would you want 20% of Lake Erie dumped on your home town?
Yeah, I thought not. I have an ark in my back yard, too! LOL :)

RADAR

How does that river flow at all, with all those dams lol. Or should I have said dam radar you sure know your dams!

Hi Turbo,

Ha Ha! No, I am not an expert on dams, but Walrus and I and HexFet grew up on the river so we are all very much in touch with it. I had to go look up the information about the Missouri River dams for the detailed information, but we generally keep a close and watchful eye on all our local rivers. Especially since last year and because of the flooding this year. These floods are truly epic in proportion. We are not the only ones affected. I am sure you have seen the Souris River in North Dakota flooding in the news, too. That river flows out of Canada and dips down into North Dakota (through Minot) and then back into Canada and eventually dumps into the Red River (via another river that I cannot recall right off the top of my head) and then dumps into Lake Winnepeg. Catfish capital of the WORLD! :) They are being hammered with flooding, too. Minot, N.D. that is.

Pray that none of these dams fail. If one of the larger ones upstream fail - the rest downstream won't be able to handle it, they will fail, too. It will be like a line up of dominos and you can kiss Omaha goodbye, along with K.C.!

Do not be surprised if your grocery bill is extremely high over the next year or two. Not only is the farmland here flooded (lots of it) but barge traffic and all boating is forbidden on the river. And, folks, this crap is going to last well into fall! Predictions are that the water will not recede until Late August or beyond. The levees cannot handle that length of flooding. They are designed for a short term flood, not half a year.

If you think that Japan's crisis with the tsunami was bad, just wait until you see the long term effects of this one.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts