Copy old EHD contents onto a new one?

lwh1993

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I just bought a new 1 TB EHD and want to transfer my old programs from my 500GB onto it. Does anyone know how to do that?

transfer them from the old drive back to your dvr then from the dvr to the new drive.

I thought that might be my only choice. I guess I'll need to pick a time for it.

Try to free up as much space as possible on the internal. Copy back from old drive. Do it overnight if needed but watch out for the nightly reset time, change it in Menu+8+4 to before you start or later in the morning. It will not let you copy more than you have space for unless you add more overnight in which case it will stop when it fills and you might lose that new one. Then copy them to the new drive. They will appear with the protection set, which might help in selecting them.

Also remember you can select alphabetic or by recorded date in the DVR+DVR list and that applies to the external list. DVR+DVR+4 from the internal list or View+DVR+4 will take to the external list.
-Ken

I just bought a new 1 TB EHD and want to transfer my old programs from my 500GB onto it. Does anyone know how to do that?
Why even bother? It's better to not have all your eggs in one basket if the HD dies.

Clonezilla

A free alternative to ghost may work. Clonezilla used it on many PC's. I think there is Linux version too. I'm w/ KAB on this also why copy the HDD keep the 500 and when it's full put on the 1Tb.

Try to free up as much space as possible on the internal. Copy back from old drive. Do it overnight if needed but watch out for the nightly reset time, change it in Menu+8+4 to before you start or later in the morning. It will not let you copy more than you have space for unless you add more overnight in which case it will stop when it fills and you might lose that new one. Then copy them to the new drive. They will appear with the protection set, which might help in selecting them.

Also remember you can select alphabetic or by recorded date in the DVR+DVR list and that applies to the external list. DVR+DVR+4 from the internal list or View+DVR+4 will take to the external list.
-Ken

I did the same thing for a dying 722 but all of my wife's recordings are out of order and didn't know how to put the in alphabetical order. I will look for this weekend when I get home.

The old EHD won't show up when I plug it into my PC. I just want to reformat and use it as a backup for my photo's and music. Any ideas?

I did the same thing for a dying 722 but all of my wife's recordings are out of order and didn't know how to put the in alphabetical order. I will look for this weekend when I get home.
Use the DVR+DVR+Sort buttons and Alpha/Numeric vs DVR Date. I prefer Date for the internal so the new are at the top and Alpha for the external so I can find things but they are the same and I have to change it each time. I do like date for EHD to find duplicates when I send the new to the EHD for replacement--although it needs a little more space.
-Ken

XP or Windows 7?

In Xp go to Control Panel, Adminstrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, and you can reformat, repartition right there.

Was useful in using Ghost as well. When I went to copy from 1TB to another the partition sizes were maginally different and Ghost wouldn't work. Disk Management let me repartion to the exact correct sizes. Then Ghost did the trick. For over 500GB there are mulitple partitions that have to be copied over in Ghost. I did them all separately using Ghost 2006.

The old EHD won't show up when I plug it into my PC. I just want to reformat and use it as a backup for my photo's and music. Any ideas?

I thought you could format the new drive with the Dish receiver, then mount both drives in linux and copy the folders that have programs in them, one folder per program recording.

The programming folders are in the /Disharc folder, copy them to the /Disharc folder on the new drive and all should be well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)