Correct elevation?

grc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
USA
I'd appreciate some help understanding this.

When I aim the dish, the markings on the dish don't match up with dishpointer or the phone app.

Where I am right now, both the website and app say the elevation should be 44 degrees.

However, once I get the satellite signal, the markings on the dish itself say the actual elevation is around 12 degrees higher (if the bolt, nut is supposed to be the mark).

I'm sure I'm missing something. What is it?

Attachments

• IMG_20201113_125814.jpg
    IMG_20201113_125814.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 125
  • marker.png
    marker.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 135
There also the skew setting in addition to the elveation settings to adjust on some dishes

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

Yes, the skew markings work fine - the dish matches the numbers from the app and website.

Are you hitting all 3 satellites? Sometimes I will hit the wrong satellite when I'm setting up for camping and the elevation is higher.. like hitting the 110 with the 119 lnb

Thanks - yes, everything is working just great. It's really no big problem except it makes it harder for me to aim the dish because elevation is kind of a guess on my part.

As Ziptied said, this is where you set the elevation, with the leading edge of this plate

View attachment 148819

Yes, thanks for that - I've never been sure where the actual mark is.

Still, per my original question - according to dishpointer and my phone app, it should be at 44 - but, as you can see it is at 51.5 (and working just fine there). I'm wondering why that is.

Still, per my original question - according to dishpointer and my phone app, it should be at 44 - but, as you can see it is at 51.5 (and working just fine there). I'm wondering why that is.
Bubble level shows dead level.
Did you check the level on at least three sides of the mast? (front, back, side) This would ensure that the mast is not leaning in any direction. It is also possible that your elevation plates are bent slightly (or the place where they attach to the dish or the mast is bent) which would also throw off the readings. Of course, there is also the possibility that both dishpointer and your phone app are wrong, at least about this particular location. Is it only at this one site where you are currently located that you are having this problem? Or have your elevation readings been off by at least this much at other locations also?

What's your ZIP code?

Did you check the level on at least three sides of the mast? (front, back, side) This would ensure that the mast is not leaning in any direction. It is also possible that your elevation plates are bent slightly (or the place where they attach to the dish or the mast is bent) which would also throw off the readings. Of course, there is also the possibility that both dishpointer and your phone app are wrong, at least about this particular location. Is it only at this one site where you are currently located that you are having this problem? Or have your elevation readings been off by at least this much at other locations also?

The problem repeats consistently. I know that the alignment never matches the dishpointer numbers, so I try to get close and then search from there. And, from what I can tell, it is dead level. This tripod is like a surveyor's tripod, so the individual legs are adjustable and I use a bubble level.

At this point, I think I'll just start by adding 7 1/2 degrees to whatever numbers I'm given to work from.

Still, I can't help but wonder why that is necessary.

Things I would test, then:

When you set the dishface exactly vertical, the elevation scale should read about the offset angle of the dish. Does it do so? (Assuming that you do know the offset angle, or can determine it by measuring.)
If that indication is also 7.5 degrees off, the whole scale is 7.5 degrees off. The dish mount was probably meant for another offset angle.

Another possibility would be, that the LNB arm is hanging too low, not at the proper offset angle towards the dish.

It is hard to assess from a very detailed picture; but without some overall pictures.

greetz,
A33

Reactions: pattykay
Could be a slightly bent LNB support arm. Has the dish ever blown over?

This may be it - I can't *see* that it is bent, but, yes, it has blown over a couple of times.

Thanks everyone for helping me think through this. For now, I think I'll just be content with adding to the elevation. We won't be moving again till after the first of the year, so it will be awhile before I try it again.

Reactions: pattykay
This may be it - I can't *see* that it is bent, but, yes, it has blown over a couple of times.

Thanks everyone for helping me think through this. For now, I think I'll just be content with adding to the elevation. We won't be moving again till after the first of the year, so it will be awhile before I try it again.
Ok, I think we have a clue then... The square tubing likely isn't bent, but the stamped angle where it connects to the mount is the most vulnerable point after the plastic LNB adapter. To throw the elevation off by 7.5 degrees would only need a bend half that and wouldn't be readily noticeable. And yes, your best bet for now is to just allow for it when setting up.

Oh, and when water is readily available, I anchor my tripod with a 1/2 to 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket suspended from a tie down strap. It's never blown over in with 60 MPH gusts. Otherwise I use two "dog tie" screw anchors.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Another possibility would be, that the LNB arm is hanging too low, not at the proper offset angle towards the dish.
With a bent arm, you don't have the best possible reception, though, which might become a problem with bad weather.

But if you're happy for now.... Stay happy! :) :)
I like happy people....

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: harshness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)