Countdown has begun - AMC 15

So is this bird completely replacing the current one at 105? If so will I see greater signal strength for my locals feed of 105? (I see like 54 signal strength according to my 522).

GweeDo767 said:
So is this bird completely replacing the current one at 105? If so will I see greater signal strength for my locals feed of 105? (I see like 54 signal strength according to my 522).
Depending on your location, you might see a stronger signal. Fringe areas would improve. Those in the middle likely would see a small increase maybe. Remember that 105/121 satellites can't be directly compared to the other satellites. Their power scale is relative and different due to the different frequencies involved.

cdru said:
Depending on your location, you might see a stronger signal. Fringe areas would improve. Those in the middle likely would see a small increase maybe. Remember that 105/121 satellites can't be directly compared to the other satellites. Their power scale is relative and different due to the different frequencies involved.

AMC-2, the current satellite at 105 W has TPs with 60 watts. AMC-15 has TPs with 140 watts. Certainly the fringe areas will see the most improvement but I can't believe that signal strength won't improve across the board.

Usually they move old satellites into higher orbits i.e., beyond geostationary where they won't cause any problems hopefully for many years. Satellites are typically designed with extra propellant to perform this maneuver. There is just too much risk in de-orbiting old satellites because sometimes they don't burn up like planned or end up somewhere besides in an ocean. Satellite life is typically limited by electronics or the batteries wearing out. Batteries are needed when the satellite's solar arrays are blocked from the sun by the earth.

By the way, I called the 800 number on ILS's website for mission updates. Everything is going "nominal". The first two burns of the Breeze M upper stage went according to schedule. The third and last burn will occur about seven hours after liftoff, followed by satellite separation from the upper stage. It will probably take a week or so to circularize the orbit using the satellite's propulsion system and park it at 136 W for testing before it is moved to 105 W.

larrystotler said:
Also, aren't they putting AMC15 at the 135 for testing, and then shifting it to the 105?
rocatman said:
It will probably take a week or so to circularize the orbit using the satellite's propulsion system and park it at 136 W for testing before it is moved to 105 W.
Also this info is listed on LyngSat (semi-official source).

AMC-2 was original at 85 W and designed for that slot. Within a few weeks of AMC-15 becoming operational, AMC-16 is scheduled to be launched (December 16th). Its planned location is 85 W so AMC-2 will probably be a backup or SES Americom may use the C-band from 85 W again. Do not know if they have a Ku band license for another slot that would be useful for Dish but I think Dish would rather not have the headaches of using a low powered Ku band satellite like they have had at 105. It will be interesting what Dish does with AMC-16 at 85 W and if a smaller standalone Ku band dish will be developed for it.

All things considered, they could use AMC2 to test the other locations with the new dished they will need at the 83 & 109. The 109 has me intrigued, since there really isn't any way that you can have the 110 on that sat as well............They had enough problems with the spacing on the 121/119 setup.

larrystotler said:
All things considered, they could use AMC2 to test the other locations with the new dished they will need at the 83 & 109. The 109 has me intrigued, since there really isn't any way that you can have the 110 on that sat as well............They had enough problems with the spacing on the 121/119 setup.

AMC-2 is owned by SES Americom and does not have the capability for KuX band that Dish has the license for at 83 and 109 so they could not use it fortesting. In addition, I would not count out Dish coming up with a combo LNB for 109 and 110. Dish KuX bandwidth license at 109 is huge compared to the others so this will probably be a priority over 83. According other posters, Echostar-9 at 121 already has KuX band so perhaps will see Dish utilize that in the not too distant future.

I see E* trying to get into the satellite internet game with the KuX bands instead of using it for TV. They already have plenty of KU band TV capacity and the KuX and KA would be a better fit for internet. Especially if it can be done from 1 dish and the equipment would be negligible since the customers aready have most of it with the SD. A quick upgrade, a new wire ran(with DP, they wouldn't need 2 wires, they could stack the send/receive freqs.), and boom, another $40 bucks a month on your bill.

larrystotler said:
I see E* trying to get into the satellite internet game with the KuX bands instead of using it for TV. They already have plenty of KU band TV capacity and the KuX and KA would be a better fit for internet. Especially if it can be done from 1 dish and the equipment would be negligible since the customers aready have most of it with the SD. A quick upgrade, a new wire ran(with DP, they wouldn't need 2 wires, they could stack the send/receive freqs.), and boom, another $40 bucks a month on your bill.

I do not think satellite internet is really going anywhere. DirecTV's Ka band Spaceway satellites were built for it but it became obvious to them that they couldn't compete economically with cable and DSL so DirecTV is going to try to use it for HD locals. The price of broadband is coming down and one of the next big uses of broadband is for telephone service (VOIP). The time delay for satellite internet service makes it virutally unuseable for VOIP. If Dish does do satellite internet, they use the Ka band on E-9 at 121 and AMC-15 and 16 at 105 and 85 respectively. Actually, I think Dish is looking at using the Ka band for Video on Demand service combined with a DVR. They need to make a deal to get a movie library from someone but this would allow them to compete with cable on these services. Dish will use the KuX band for television because they need the bandwidth for HD locals.

rocatman said:
AMC-2 is owned by SES Americom and does not have the capability for KuX band that Dish has the license for at 83 and 109 so they could not use it fortesting. In addition, I would not count out Dish coming up with a combo LNB for 109 and 110. Dish KuX bandwidth license at 109 is huge compared to the others so this will probably be a priority over 83. According other posters, Echostar-9 at 121 already has KuX band so perhaps will see Dish utilize that in the not too distant future.

Maybe 121 KuX on E9 if this is true could be used for additional HDTV National channels? :)

Regarding satelite internet - there's already Direcway (which I use) and Starband, and supposedly another one starting (Bluesky?).

The killer is the propagation delay, and as WiFi, etc. continue to penetrate even the most rural areas, then satellite links will start dying off.

That being said - I'm in the process of setting up a neighborhood WLAN that uses Direcway for the upstream feed. :)

As a follow up to my discussion on Video on Demand (VOD), imagine if Dish were to have access to a HD movie library of hundreds or maybe thousands of titles. Now using Dish's Ka band, one with a HD DVR could download a HD movie to their DVR of their choosing and have access to it for perhaps a week. Movie selection would be made via a phone connection although an uplink to the satellite could be used but would be more complex. Now I don't know what the downlink rate could be but the download process should be considerably faster than the length of the movie. Is this workable and would it be financially marketable for Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)