Cox Media Group Removes Local Channels From DISH

long_time_DNC

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...
Local is gone here too...really ticks me off that Cox did this in the middle of the NFL season, but I'll survive. Congress needs to fix this. If you can get them OTA, they shouldn't be able to charge sat and cable to carry them. They get plenty from the tons of commercials in everything they air...

Reactions: peggy97850, MikeD-C05, TheKrell and 1 other person
mwdxer1

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
It was congress who allowed it. That law would have to be repealed, too much lobbyist money to allow that to happen.
What if all of the cable & satellite providers decided that the cost was too much and they dropped locals period? That may happen in time if things keep going the way they are. At that point I am sure the owners of locals would be begging to get their channels back on. But the way it is, Dish loses Cox, well everyone that wants Cox goes to Direct or cable. They just bounce back and forth. Something out has to stop these crazy increase in fees, but I doubt the carriers would ever agree. Now, if Direct & Dish merge, it will be down to one satellite provider and cable. They may have more clout.

• Love
Reactions: dishdude and charlesrshell
navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
An upcoming economic downturn may fix many of these issues.

Tough times will force tough decisions. Mama ain’t gonna see sports as valuable. Cable and satellite may go next. OTA might suffice, especially in large markets, especially if a set to antenna works. And this may kill or greatly delay the ATSC 3 scheme.

Reactions: long_time_DNC, MikeD-C05, osu1991 and 1 other person
S

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
Local is gone here too...really ticks me off that Cox did this in the middle of the NFL season, but I'll survive. Congress needs to fix this. If you can get them OTA, they shouldn't be able to charge sat and cable to carry them. They get plenty from the tons of commercials in everything they air...
It's the other way around... if you CAN'T get the station OTA, you shouldn't be charged. That's when the MVPD is doing the local a service (providing the signal where the transmitter can't).

Of course, if you CAN receive it OTA, put up an antenna, and drop locals from your dish package.

Reactions: dishdude, MikeD-C05, charlesrshell and 1 other person
P

pgde

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 8, 2006
Desert Oasis Ranch, Tucson, AZ
It's the other way around... if you CAN'T get the station OTA, you shouldn't be charged. That's when the MVPD is doing the local a service (providing the signal where the transmitter can't).

Of course, if you CAN receive it OTA, put up an antenna, and drop locals from your dish package.
If I drop locals and go with an antenna, will I be able to record them on my Hopper?

Peter Parker

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
If I drop locals and go with an antenna, will I be able to record them on my Hopper?
Yes. If you have the single or dual OTA dongle. In fact you can not only record the network feed but also the subchannels.

Reactions: charlesrshell
TheKrell

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Absolutely. You even get to keep the guide. And if you want to record one or more of the big 4 networks, and you turn on PTAT, then you even get autohop!

Note that PTAT won't record anything if you don't sub to satellite locals.

MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Absolutely. You even get to keep the guide. And if you want to record one or more of the big 4 networks, and you turn on PTAT, then you even get autohop!

Note that PTAT won't record anything if you don't sub to satellite locals.
IF your guide is accurate for ota channels in your area of course. In my area we still have our Fox station guide on an sd sub channel and our actual Fox channel that it should be attached to, just says Fox4. It's been this way for going on 3 years now. :(

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell and charlesrshell
long_time_DNC

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...

Can't get any locals via OTA here. Too many high hills to the north and east...

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell, peggy97850 and charlesrshell
R

Ray_Clum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 10, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
Yes. If you have the single or dual OTA dongle. In fact you can not only record the network feed but also the subchannels.
But the guide info for anything but the Big4 is sh*t. And sometimes even the Big4 is sh*t, because Dish engineers won’t pull the data off the OTA signal to at least get you some data.

• Sad
Reactions: evetsmc, TheKrell and MikeD-C05
stardust3

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Local ABC CBS (Nexstar) is putting the word out Comcast is threatening to take them off the air. Tis the season for disputes.

ClarkGable

ClarkGable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
Nexstar stations are currently running scrolls saying that Comcast is "threatening to take away your local station." What ever happened to the limit of how many TV stations one company could own?

Tampa8

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Near constant scrolling here also about Comcast may remove your station....

MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Nexstar stations are currently running scrolls saying that Comcast is "threatening to take away your local station." What ever happened to the limit of how many TV stations one company could own?
They changed that I believe under W.Bush. Now you can own 2 stations in one market. Like in my area we have two companies that own all of them and the sub channels. So you end up with only two news cast simulcast on the other main stations. CBS & FOX and ABC & NBC

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: dishdude, charlesrshell and NYDutch
B

BarnRat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 30, 2021
USA
All my locals disappeared today. Even the local PBS station. So, is it true that ALL locals are gone, regardless of who owns them?

MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
All my locals disappeared today. Even the local PBS station. So, is it true that ALL locals are gone, regardless of who owns them?
Check and see who owns PBS in your area. Google it.

Reactions: BarnRat and charlesrshell