Crank up Dish for RV

jetskier

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Carson Valley, Nevada
Is it safe to assume I could get away with a single LNB dish for RV use. I looked at the Winegard Dish 1000, but they want $1400 for it (still trying to figure out why). Whereas a single LNB crank up is running in the $170-$275 range. I had a crank up in my old trailer and it was easy to setup within the coach because you can fine tune everything from inside. The ground mounts are tough to dial in when you can't watch the signal strength.

If I use one of my 622s and lock into 129W I think I can get all the HD programming I get at home. The SD programming and Sirius is not a priority (outside of Noggin for the kids).

I did look at the domes, but I'm not sure I want to spend more that much. I saw a Vucube 1000 for $600 at Camping World, but it looks like it could "walk" away if left unattended.

Are my assumptions correct? Any feedback?

Yes, you can use a single lnb and just use 129 for HD. You'll just have to run check switch every time you set it up.

The vcube looks like an interesting idea but I think they're only single lnb also. The box outside is suppose to be useless without the operator, which is their answer to the theft issue.

I use a ground mount and set it up with a $10.00 ebay meter. The key is to get a mount that is sturdy and easy to plumb.

I use a ground mount and set it up with a $10.00 ebay meter. The key is to get a mount that is sturdy and easy to plumb.

I've been doing the same thing, but setup with the meter is not always easy. It may be my cheap meter too. With my old crank up, I set the index ring to north with a compass and then rotated the dish to the position of choice. Then it was so many cranks to set the elevation (from the collapsed form to extended dish). From there you could fine tune it for the strongest signal.

I might just stick with what I know and get the cheaper single LNB dish w/ the integrated OTA antenna so I don't have to cut another hole in the roof.

Here's a link to instructions on how to build a good, easy to use ground mount that makes dish alignment easy. Satellite Dish Ground Mount If you're handy with tools give this a try. You'll be surprised at how simple and easy it is to align a dish with it .

Thanks for the link. The problem with the ground mounts is the soil is so dense you cannot usually get a stake in the ground where I usually camp. I have one of the ground mount kits that I got at CW, but it's not easy to setup.

I wish I had a picture, but my latest mount is a old mast clamped to my rear roof ladder. I leveled the mast when the trailer was level so I wouldn't have to mess with that variable. It works, but you have to be on the ladder to point the dish. Not fun when you have to use both hands to adjust the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)