Creative way to reach Dish CEO

Wow. Just plain wow. Some will fall for it.

Sorry, I don't think they spoke to Charlie.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Deffinitly a scam. In dish would secure their customer data better, scammers would not be able to get existing customer information to pull these scams to begin with.

When was Dish's customer database breached??? Never heard or notified that is was. As for Dish securing the customer data better, you're kidding right? The stinking US Government can't even secure its databases. Nor can countries in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa,nor can companies around the world.

Actually scammers have easier ways of getting info just by using data mining. And most people don't even realize how much personal info they put up into the internet.

But if you feel the need to blame everything on Dish.... Here, I'll help you out, Dish is causing the snowfall and cold temperatures in the midwest. Does that give you a warm fuzzy feeling deep inside?

When was Dish's customer database breached??? Never heard or notified that is was. As for Dish securing the customer data better, you're kidding right? The stinking US Government can't even secure its databases. Nor can countries in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa,nor can companies around the world.

Actually scammers have easier ways of getting info just by using data mining. And most people don't even realize how much personal info they put up into the internet.

But if you feel the need to blame everything on Dish.... Here, I'll help you out, Dish is causing the snowfall and cold temperatures in the midwest. Does that give you a warm fuzzy feeling deep inside?
jb, there was a thread on here a while back showing how easy it is to reset your password on the Dish website with just 3 pieces of information (I think phone number, zip code and receiver# was one of the combinations). There were scams targeting international customers and it appeared that the website hole was how scammers were able to gain access to people's accounts.

jb, there was a thread on here a while back showing how easy it is to reset your password on the Dish website with just 3 pieces of information (I think phone number, zip code and receiver# was one of the combinations). There were scams targeting international customers and it appeared that the website hole was how scammers were able to gain access to people's accounts.

Thank you, I did not read that thread.

Being I used to be IT for my last 2 employers I try to keep up with a lot of what is happening worldwide with PC security, etc. Even the security companies get hit with breachs,data access and DoS attacks. And it appears to be only getting worse. The only way I know of total protection would be to not have a server/PC with no way of outside access. Even then you would have to be wary of an employee/friend accessing data that they should not be.

And as I said,getting contact info for many people is quite easy and requires no illegal action. You can even purchase potential customer databases. I found that out after I had the stroke and was looking into the "work at home" possibilities.

I was one of those who was involved with the Sony breach of the customer database years ago. Its why we now have to have Lifelock. Had to get new bank account,credit cards, the whole 9 yards. So this is the world we live in today.

Thank you, I did not read that thread.

Being I used to be IT for my last 2 employers I try to keep up with a lot of what is happening worldwide with PC security, etc. Even the security companies get hit with breachs,data access and DoS attacks. And it appears to be only getting worse. The only way I know of total protection would be to not have a server/PC with no way of outside access. Even then you would have to be wary of an employee/friend accessing data that they should not be.

And as I said,getting contact info for many people is quite easy and requires no illegal action. You can even purchase potential customer databases. I found that out after I had the stroke and was looking into the "work at home" possibilities.

I was one of those who was involved with the Sony breach of the customer database years ago. Its why we now have to have Lifelock. Had to get new bank account,credit cards, the whole 9 yards. So this is the world we live in today.

We had life lock but cancelled them because of the costs. It was a piece of mind thing but when we had them and got an auto loan, when we applied we thought the dealer would get a phone call asking if it was us who were applying but they never called. I think if someone's identity is stolen and the thief tries to get a new credit card or loan that they should still have to go through a verification step of a series of back up questions that aren't on the account in order to prove its really you. I.d. thieves get what's coming to them down the road.

lets also keep in mind, that IF E* called to offer an upgrade like this, they would be asking for the Reciever number from the menu; if anything they'd be asking for the security PIN or some other verification. The reciever numbers already show in your account.
God I love Phishing techniques. Back when I worked IT, I used to tell my users that if ANYONE ever asked for their password to immediately hang up & call me directly as my office already had all the rights we needed to access their log ons if need be. Lesson for life non-techies, the only thing your IT office can't easily get into is local encrypted files.

What personal info is on the Internet? Google yourself different ways, including nicknames and diminutives.

A friend of mine published a book for limited distribution to a small targeted audience. My name is there. That passage, at least, is on the Internet. A class assignment from college, a theoretical post in a college yearbook (never actually printed in a yearbook AFAIK), is there. Weird stuff. Why? How?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

We had life lock but cancelled them because of the costs. It was a piece of mind thing but when we had them and got an auto loan, when we applied we thought the dealer would get a phone call asking if it was us who were applying but they never called. I think if someone's identity is stolen and the thief tries to get a new credit card or loan that they should still have to go through a verification step of a series of back up questions that aren't on the account in order to prove its really you. I.d. thieves get what's coming to them down the road.

http://bizsecurity.about.com/b/2010/03/17/lifelock-settles-lawsuit.htm

LifeLock's a scam .. just like CleanMyPC ..

Even the CEO's identity was compromised, not once, but TWELVE times. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/05/lifelock-identity-theft/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts