CS8100 HD Reboot issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
This reboot issue I mentioned in previous threads will be explained here.

I can watch TV just fine. Everything is good on that. But, when I turn the receiver off (by remote) it goes to standby. Once in standby for a few moments, (5 mins or so) it will do this reboot BS. (I can tell on the display) Loader v112 keeps popping up on the display. So...I end up having to shut it off in the back, and then back on.

It will only do it if having been on for a while.

If I do that switch in the back to stop it from doing that, and then never turn it back on to watch TV, it won't do it again until after I've decided to watch TV again, then it pulls it again.

Now, when I did receive the unit, it originally had hackware on it, so I flashed it to the latest factory file which is 2025A which came out in late January/ early February.

I tried that cleaner thing with no luck, no response. But in any case, I figured out what MAY have caused the "standby reboot" issue.

The CS 8100 was sitting on top of the Uniden 4900 analog box. That one generates heat as well, so I unplugged it.

Now, no more reboots. :)

We can take this thread and shove into the archives now.

When upgrading firmware, I think it's best to use that clean file regardless of whether it came with pirate firmware or not.
The reboot thing has nothing to do with pirate firmware. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or firmware issue.
I've owned 2 Coolsats. My first one came with hacker firmware. I replaced that, and it worked perfectly. No reboots, no issues, other than the original problem with the PVR not working, but that was corrected with firmware updates.
When my first 8100 died in a thunderstorm, my "brand new" replacement 8100 had the rebooting problem right out of the box. Even before I programmed in my first satellite. Ie I FIRST programmed in my OTA channels, and even before I had all of them programmed, it started rebooting. After I had a couple satellites programmed in, I started using it, and the thing would reboot approximately every 30 minutes. I noticed that the unit was hot to the touch, so I assumed that the fan wasn't working, so I installed a computer fan under the unit, blowing up through the holes on the bottom. This cooled it down, a bit, but didn't solve the problem. I later looked through the holes and observed that the fan WAS moving, but I'm guessing that initially it wasn't, and the overheating may have caused some damage.... I'm not sure.
I sent the unit back to the dealer, who sent it to Coolsat, and they sent it back saying that nothing was wrong with it. Tried it out, and it was rebooting every 30 minutes just like before. I put in the most recent (at that time) factory firmware, and it still rebooted every 30 minutes. I then tried a couple versions of pirate firmware.... same thing. Finally, I found a version of pirate firmware, which "seemed" to fix the problem. It stopped rebooting every 30 minutes, but might reboot perhaps once a day or two. Eventually, the new 2025a factory firmware came out, and this performed in a similar way, usually only rebooting about once every day or two....... HOWEVER... this only lasts for a limited time. On using the 8100, it eventually reboots more frequently, and eventually I need to re-flash the firmware. Usually when I re-install the firmware, I get back to the situation where it will only reboot once a day or so (not positive, since I don't watch it 24/7). It almost seems like the more sats I put in it, the quicker it will get back to the situation where it's rebooting every 30 minutes, so I've only been programming it with 2 or 3 satellites that I watch the most, also because I have to program these things in manually, because the channel data recovery thing while better with the new firmware, still doesn't work perfectly.

Anyway, this rebooting thing is so annoying that I've pretty much stopped using the receiver, except when I want to watch something while I'm recording with another receiver. HOWEVER, I WOULD suggest that if you use the CLEAN file, and re-load the firmware, that you might find that it at least temporarily cure the reboot problem. I predict that it will return however.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that the "rebooting" problem has two manifestations. On MY unit, originally it wasn't a rebooting problem, but instead it first started out as a problem where it would continue to have video, but would lose audio. Then, if I tried with the remote to get the audio back, the first couple of remote keystrokes would work, but after 2 or 3 keystrokes, the receiver would lock up, and I'd have to do the switch off/on thing to reboot it. Eventually, this behavior was replaced by the rebooting problem, but occasionally I'll still see it do the audio thing. It seems like the issue is one where the processor gets confused and can't recover, and either freezes or reboots.

When I attempted the clean file process, I got no status bar along the loader, it just sat there. I read every hacker site to find out the process of doing the clean software thing and followed it down to the wire and no response.

I have a straight serial cable which I converted to NULL with a NULL modem adapter. Now, does that make a difference? Maybe the NULL adapter is bad?

When I attempted the clean file process, I got no status bar along the loader, it just sat there. I read every hacker site to find out the process of doing the clean software thing and followed it down to the wire and no response.

I have a straight serial cable which I converted to NULL with a NULL modem adapter. Now, does that make a difference? Maybe the NULL adapter is bad?

THe "clean" file process is exactly the same as that used for updating firmware files via the serial cable (I assume that you used USB to get where you are.. you can't use USB for the clean file, or at least if you do, it will leave you in a state where USB won't work because it leaves you without any OS at all.)
It could be that your null adapter is broken, but I doubt that. I'd guess that either you're using the wrong port or that you're confusing upload with download or something similar, or perhaps your straight through cable was already a null cable, or perhaps your null adapter is really a sex changer adapter, etc, etc. BTW, you don't really need a full blown NULL modem cable, just a 3 wire reversing cable, like 2-3, 3-2,5-5 . Check your cable with an ohm-meter.
But apparently the problem with just using USB updates, is that this leaves things in memory that can mess things up, even if you reset to factory conditions before/after the update. I have deleted all channels, done a factory reset, changed factory firmware, checked, and saw NO CHANNELS, then repeated the process in reverse, going back to my old firmware, and my channels were all back (although corrupted since the reset wipes out part of the memory that the receiver needs for those channels).
Eventually you will need to use the serial cable for updates. It's best that you learn how while the receiver is functional. Perhaps use the serial cable to upload some channel data to your computer to test your cables and ports.

There is a reason my 8000 sits on top of the cabinet and that is to get air so it doesnt reboot ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.