CSR told buddy that Dish is buying VOOM

hehdaddy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Sorry to open this can of worms again, but a CSR yesterday told a buddy of mine that Dish was buying VOOM and that their HD content was going to get big (at least the size of VOOM).

Is the CSR on dope?

Discuss.. :)

He said that the CSR said that they are waiting for everything to be finalized until the announce..

Maybe the CSR is on major dope.

Good one. That is why I am switching to DirecTV and the awesome HD Tivo..

Well if they do get Voom and offer more HD it will be allot better that Direct! That will put allot of preassure on Direct but lets hope that the new Satellite goes up ok today! With the new bird going up Im sure things are going to get allot better for Dish Customers! :)

Here's an unreliable friend of a friend story. But who knows?

Anyway, My wife has a family member (who is usually drunk) in Colorado who works near Dish HQ.
This guy knows an engineer at DISH. He claims that the engineer told him in confidentiality that Charlie has made it a priority to somehow get the Voom signal to come thru on a 921 and 942.

He could be right. Or he could be drunk again.

I still say they're only buying the voom satellite and not their crappy content. Myabe the contracts to the premium channels but none of that other garbage. If they do I'll put myself in a grave and roll around in it :D

Those add'l transponders at 61.5 certainly wouldn't hurt. Voom owns the rights to TP's at other orbital positions too, don't they? (I forget where.) Dish would love to get their hands on them, as I would love to see them get their hands on them.

I do think they'd keep at least some of the Voom-exclusive HD content. It might also give them access to, and bandwidth for, StarzHD, MaxHD, and TMCHD, without add'l negotiation.

GaryPen said:
Those add'l transponders at 61.5 certainly wouldn't hurt. Voom owns the rights to TP's at other orbital positions too, don't they? (I forget where.) Dish would love to get their hands on them, as I would love to see them get their hands on them.

I do think they'd keep at least some of the Voom-exclusive HD content. It might also give them access to, and bandwidth for, StarzHD, MaxHD, and TMCHD, without add'l negotiation.
Don't forget PlayboyHD... :)

Charlie has been saying for quite a while that "E" is the leader in HD. I guess that he has had to eat those words and maybe he has had enough of the jabberings. Picking up "V" will help to make his statements finally come true.

Let me put the clues together:

1. With the statements from CSRs about Voom
2. No Charlie Chat this month
3. Statements that Charlie is quite busy attending meetings
4. "D" making announcements about their HD expansions
5. "V" not gaining market share as predicted despite it's HD content
6. "E" has the money, name recognition, market share
7. Charlie selling "E" shares
8. Family and friends of "E"employee's making statements of a merging

I guess if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck we might see rainbow stripes on Charlie's Dish logo shirt. :rolleyes: :eek: :yes

If I remember correctly, the Voom spin off includes Cablevision's other channels including AMC, We, etc.

So selling off just the sat. assets and remaining a content provider makes the most sense.

The situation I just mention is the most probable to me, seeing as both companies are keeping relatively quiet lately.

Now is actually the best time for E* to move in, because they can work out a deal before the spin-off, basically a direct sale from Cablevision. Then Cablevision can proceed with the spin off of all of their cable channels. If Cablevision sold the assests directly to E* (instead of after the spin-off) then they would make back many friends on Wall Street, by paying down the debt they accumulated during the startup.

Dish could also become intergrated more ,with the above channels ( AMC, WE, Etc) and become more like Directv with FOX. I have said for months that Voom could become an addon service for either satellite service or both. Then you could end the duplication of the national hd channels . Voom could stay in business as a stand alone service if they wanted to , and become an hd provider for hd content also. Either way everyone would win . I have suspected as well that the No Charlie Chat this month had something to do with this. I can't remember a time when there wasn't a chat of somekind each month . Something is going on and I think this is it. :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)