Cuban Pitches 'Ultra HD' VOD

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Cuban Pitches 'Ultra HD' VOD

The HDNet co-founder will release new films on cable and satellite before theatrical debuts.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (August 10, 2007) -- HDNet's Mark Cuban is launching a new initiative called 'Ultra HD' VOD which calls for releasing theatrical films on pay HDTV weeks before they air in the theater.

That's according to an article in Variety Magazine.

The publication reports that Cuban, the co-founder of the High-Definition network HDNet, will test his strategy with Redacted, the new Iraq war movie from director Brian De Palma.

Cuban is offering the film as a PPV title to DIRECTV, Time Warner, Charter, Verizon and other TV providers before it will debut in the theaters. (The movie would still be free to viewers to HDNet which would show the film two days prior to its theatrical release, but not after the first airing.)

Redacted was produced by Cuban's film studio, Magnolia Pictures. The HDNet co-founder also is co-owner of Landmark Theaters.

Variety writes that the PPV price for pre-theater releases will range from $12.95 and $19.95 depending upon the movie. In addition to Redacted, Cuban may offer the film Flawless, a mystery starring Demi Moore and Michael Caine that's scheduled for release later this year.

Cuban told the publication that the studio "has to get some more tests under our belt" before rolling out 'Ultra HD' to all cable and satellite providers.

But TV providers that sign up for Ultra HD will have the option of offering the movie on the Net, showing it in standard definition or high-def or allowing viewers to burn the movie onto a DVD.

He's gonna have to offer up some movies people will want to see first before anyone will even think about spending $19.95 on a VOD. If these are tests, why the high price anyway? He of all people should realize you get people hooked on cheap, then jack 'em up.

If I could see any movie without having to goto the theatre I would gladly pay $20. Not having to deal with kids that cant' shut up, rude people who talk, people who feel the need to get up every 2 minutes to take a piss, etc..during the movie in the theatre makes it worth for me. Especially if it's like a top movie like Bourne Ultimatium, Star Trek 1000, 300, etc...

I'm sure there are a ton of other people that feel like me also. Leave it to Mark Cuban to think outside the box.

If I could see any movie without having to goto the theatre I would gladly pay $20. Not having to deal with kids that cant' shut up, rude people who talk, people who feel the need to get up every 2 minutes to take a piss, etc..during the movie in the theatre makes it worth for me. Especially if it's like a top movie like Bourne Ultimatium, Star Trek 1000, 300, etc...

I'm sure there are a ton of other people that feel like me also. Leave it to Mark Cuban to think outside the box.

I'm with Araxen. I also would do it since I wouldn't have to pay $15 for a small popcorn and a small drink.

This is almost along the lines of the rumor about Transformers being on PPV for $49.95 on the same release day as the theater release. That was just a rumor, but many people were saying they'd pay the $49.95. I personally wouldn't (unless I had a whole house full of people pitching in cash). $19.95 is more reasonable. Especially for non-A-list-type movies.

Enron: The Smartest Guys in The Room simply depressed me. I've never been more depressed after watching a movie (especially living in Houston, although I was not an Enron employee nor did I know any Enron employees). I was simply depressed.

One Last Thing was pretty mediocre at best.

The quality of the movies (can't call them "films" anymore) would need to go up in order to peek my interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts