Currently with DirecTV, but have ?'s about Dish

Arkapigdiesel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
Got a few questions regarding Dish. I'm so put out with DirecTV's poor customer service, but am unsure if Dish is any better. Can someone answer my questions below so I can decide on what I need to do? TIA.

1. Will I need the 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish in Arkansas to pick up all channels, including HD?

3. With the 1000 series dish do I just run one line from the LNB head, feed that line into a splitter, then run lines from the splitter to my receivers?

4. How is Dish's customer service?

I'm currently with DirecTV and am well versed on dish pointing and going through the on screen prompts setups of DirecTV's equipment, but their customer service is awful. I've never dealt with such incompetent folks (I know that sounds bad, but I just don't think they give a rip about their customers). I honestly think I know more than they (people that you call in their call center) do when it comes to installs.

I only have to call them once in a blue moon, but when I do I absolutely want to pull my hair out. Is Dish any better in that respect?

1, Yes a 1000 will be needed.
3, One line per receiver no splitters
4, Probably worse than D* E* is famous for their Indian call centers.

"Northwest" doesn't help me help you. What television market do your locals come from?

If it is Forth Smith - Fayetteville - Springdale, your locals are officially available in SD and HD but not all the networks. The Dish 1000.2 is used.

Comparing customer service is difficult without more information as well. What kinds of problems were you having? If you're asking Customer Service for detailed technical information about installations or other non-CSR issues, you'll likely be disappointed with any service.

If you've had issues with DirecTV customer service plese e-mail ellen.filipiak@directv.com what the problem were, her office is the group that's supposed to try to get problems with customer service fixed. May be too late for you but maybe letting them know will help other customers with the same issue.

The last 3 times I've called Dish, the calls went to Colorado.
From what they've mentioned dish is trying to get support back state side? Or has?
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

call centers have actually been more often routed to the states lately!

I agree, I switched to Dish from Direct about three months ago and with the call I have made to the CRS, it would appear that they have been right here in USA and the calls have gone very well! Hope it works out for you with Direct or Dish, just make sure if you switch there are some programing diffrences, Direct a few more sports packages. Dish Premium movies and a few more national HD channels!

If you've had issues with DirecTV customer service plese e-mail ellen.filipiak@directv.com what the problem were, her office is the group that's supposed to try to get problems with customer service fixed. May be too late for you but maybe letting them know will help other customers with the same issue.
As Rad says, she can get things done...

I haven't had issues with Dish's customer service, per se; but the overall treatment of the customers I would say is terrible. I have an awful taste in my mouth about the way Dish has handled me as a Turbo customer. I would have left had it not been for my contractual obligation.

For the sake of argument, let's assume both companies suck at customer service (my recent experiences were good). Dish has far superior equipment. So, if you are not into sports all that much, go Dish.

I called dish because the 722 keep losing the sat signal every few minutes. I have had it since February, and it is leased. However, they want to charge $50 for a service call on their leased hardware that is not working. Otherwise you have to pay 6 bucks a month for an extended warranty on THEIR equipment and installation. I may buy out the contract and dump them.

I called dish because the 722 keep losing the sat signal every few minutes. I have had it since February, and it is leased. However, they want to charge $50 for a service call on their leased hardware that is not working. Otherwise you have to pay 6 bucks a month for an extended warranty on THEIR equipment and installation. I may buy out the contract and dump them.
Add Dhpp then cancel when the problem is corrected. Everybody does it.

For the sake of argument, let's assume both companies suck at customer service (my recent experiences were good). Dish has far superior equipment. So, if you are not into sports all that much, go Dish.
I keep reading about how DirecTV is geared moreso towards sports. Is everyone referring to NFL Sunday ticket? I've compared all of the other main sports channels (Fox Sports affiliates, ESPN channels, CBS College Sports, etc.) and they're all the same.

I could give a rip about pro sports, but love my college sports and it seems as if both providers are providing the same channels. One plus for Dish is that they carry CST which does cover a few SEC games.

I keep reading about how DirecTV is geared moreso towards sports. Is everyone referring to NFL Sunday ticket? I've compared all of the other main sports channels (Fox Sports affiliates, ESPN channels, CBS College Sports, etc.) and they're all the same.

I could give a rip about pro sports, but love my college sports and it seems as if both providers are providing the same channels. One plus for Dish is that they carry CST which does cover a few SEC games.
Your own local HD RSNs will not be in HD full time on Dish. Sometimes in some markets, local collegiate games are on a RSN. It will be hit and miss if Dish shows a particular game in HD on your local RSN

Yep, Sunday Ticket, MLB Network and MLB EI on Direct. So if your ok without those, you should be ok

Also in regards to HD, Fox sports Regionals are not 24/7 on Dish, so sometimes your local team might be in HD,(as posted right before my post) but Dish may not be showing it in HD, its not a huge deal for me.

i would suggest you stay with direct if you are switching because of customer service, dish is real bad there. i do not know how people are getting US based customer service, almost every time i call i get the dreaded foriegn customer service who are of no help at all.

My contract is up in February and I'll be taking my name off the contract then, if not cancelling completely. I'm looking at Apple TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)