Customer Service Rep Confirms Fox News HD Channel For February

ducttape38

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
First of all, I'm new to the forums, so hello :) Take this with a post of salt, as this was just one CSR and he may have been misinformed, but I figured it was worth sharing.

After hearing about Dish's rate change for their TurboHD packages, I called Dish CS after contemplating a switch to DirecTv. I told them that I wasn't happy with a price change of $10 when there was no promise of anything new (besides the 14 channels that don't include a halfway decent news broadcast, I'm looking at you CNN).

So after asking the CSR (who was really helpful) about upcoming HD channels, he told me 100% for sure that Fox HD was coming in February as they have renegotiated contracts. With this, he said Fox Buisness HD would also becoming soon but he could not give an ETA, saying that Fox needed to upgrade their end before they could provide the channel. Along with this, he said that Dish would adding several other HD channels (including the 14 already posted) including two new ESPN Hockey and Soccer channels, VH1 and VH1 2, and that Dish will be the exclusive provider to launch Versus 2 HD later this year.

How much of this is true? I have no clue...can anybody else confirm this? If it is indeed accurate, it looks like there be brighter days ahead for those of us who don't enjoy CNN :)

CSRs usually do not know what they are talking about, but I would definatley wait till 02/09 to find out before making the move.

True about the CSRs, but this guy seemed absolutely certain. At the very least, its a glimmer of hope for better programing. I'll stick with them until at least the end of February to see what happens.

What's happening on 02/09 by the way, forgive my ignorance.

Unless the CSR is sitting in the Dish programming office and sitting in on the negotiations, (and considering there isn't a call center at the Dish corp offices...:rolleyes:) then the CSR can't tell you when, what, or how any channel will be coming to Dish.

As a former CSR myself, (not for DISH) I know they're kept in the dark more often than not. And all it takes is one guy starting a rumor to get it spread throughout the call center. Not saying it won't happen (it would be nice to have another option other than CNN) but I'll wait and see.

You know full well E* will have to sweeten the pot a little to justify a price increase, else people will flee in droves. Heck, FNCHD would certainly lure me away from the Absolute pac.

I would get it in writing if the reason you are staying is because of Fox News HD. This way if it doesn't come you can opt out...

uh, as far as I know, there is no VH1 2 even in sd form, nor is there, or would it make much sense for a versus 2 either. Come to think of it, I don't think ESPN has a soccer or hockey channel. This guy sounds like he knows NOTHING at all, I would not believe anything he says.

We hear misinformed, unsubstatiated rumors second hand from CSRs every single day, but when it is something we want to believe, there is a rush of people jumping on it and trying to add substance.

Seriously folks, think of 100 monkeys on 100 typewriters. Sometimes they type a word, but that don't make it Shakespere. Heck, we've proven again and again that we can't even believe Charlie.

It ain't real till you see it on the guide.

We hear misinformed, unsubstatiated rumors second hand from CSRs every single day, but when it is something we want to believe, there is a rush of people jumping on it and trying to add substance.

Seriously folks, think of 100 monkeys on 100 typewriters. Sometimes they type a word, but that don't make it Shakespere. Heck, we've proven again and again that we can't even believe Charlie.

It ain't real till you see it on the guide.

Well put jayn_j

uh, as far as I know, there is no VH1 2 even in sd form, nor is there, or would it make much sense for a versus 2 either. Come to think of it, I don't think ESPN has a soccer or hockey channel. This guy sounds like he knows NOTHING at all, I would not believe anything he says.

There are many rumors of an ESPN soccer channel coming.

Supposedly, Dish would not pay much for GolTV because they are losing LaLiga to ESPN Soccer Channel, and ESPN will be trying to get other leagues like English Premier League. ESPN already has MLS weekly and can easily get more from MLS for about ten cents a week or so - MLS is desperate for more visibility.

No confirmation on any of this, but multiple rumors from multiple places.

Also, Dish Network must come to an agreement with FOX - because the agreement for Fox Network channels either just ended or will end soon. Considering the Fox News lawsuit and FX-HD and Speed-HD being on the "maybe" list, it would make sense for Dish to have buried the hatchet and also for Fox because they are not immune from economic downturn either.

SO, this could be complete BS, but could be some truth or even all true...

With this, he said Fox Buisness HD would also becoming soon but he could not give an ETA, saying that Fox needed to upgrade their end before they could provide the channel. Along with this, he said that Dish would adding several other HD channels (including the 14 already posted) including two new ESPN Hockey and Soccer channels, VH1 and VH1 2, and that Dish will be the exclusive provider to launch Versus 2 HD later this year.

This is all I need to hear. There is no VH1 2. There is a VH1 Classic, Megahits, Soul and Uno, however. Which one is going HD?

What kind of upgrade would FBN need? DirecTV seems to be able to carry it without issue?

So it seems there is an ESPN Soccer Channel coming. But ESPN Hockey? Isn;'t NHL Network enough?

Considering Comcast owns Versus, why would they gove an exclusive contract to someone else? I would think Comcast would make sure, well, Comcast could carry it.

Nice sounding, but too many red flags.

All the channels Gonna be in HD next month, D/Tv got them in summer 08
they only thing about dish they damn late and behind the others like usuall.
and still NO news about CW/IN HD eigther, And also D/TV got that channel in spring last year!
dish just behind like almost a year, only up grade is just know how to pay your monthy service thro HD boxes and on line, also raise the monthly service. they just know how to rip of the people and make it easier for customers to pays!

The sad thing is: the CSR's have about as accurate a track record as Scott's inside sources. No offence intended, just an observation.

i hate to say it, but i agree . not to say scott's inside sources are right or wrong, it just sees like dish just can't get thier act together.

First of all, I'm new to the forums, so hello :) Take this with a post of salt, as this was just one CSR and he may have been misinformed, but I figured it was worth sharing.

After hearing about Dish's rate change for their TurboHD packages, I called Dish CS after contemplating a switch to DirecTv. I told them that I wasn't happy with a price change of $10 when there was no promise of anything new (besides the 14 channels that don't include a halfway decent news broadcast, I'm looking at you CNN).

So after asking the CSR (who was really helpful) about upcoming HD channels, he told me 100% for sure that Fox HD was coming in February as they have renegotiated contracts. With this, he said Fox Buisness HD would also becoming soon but he could not give an ETA, saying that Fox needed to upgrade their end before they could provide the channel. Along with this, he said that Dish would adding several other HD channels (including the 14 already posted) including two new ESPN Hockey and Soccer channels, VH1 and VH1 2, and that Dish will be the exclusive provider to launch Versus 2 HD later this year.

How much of this is true? I have no clue...can anybody else confirm this? If it is indeed accurate, it looks like there be brighter days ahead for those of us who don't enjoy CNN :)

The guy was spewing BS to you to keep you as a customer. How hard is it to see this? You threatened to leave and the CSR responded with exactly what you wanted to hear thus keeping you as a customer. That's his job.

Think about this logically, if Dish knew that there was a DEFINITE chance that Fox News is coming, why wouldn't they have a press conference or at least publish it? Come on, they're smarter than that because I'm sure they know there is a pretty great demand to see FNC in HD.

Also, the whole "they have to upgrade things on their end" statement....sorry, not bying it. Fox has been in HD since early last year; if they wanted to get HD signal to dish, I'm sure they could get to them pretty quickly.

Sorry dude, but you're just another victim of the lies that CSRs often spew to keep customers. I wouldn't even take what a CSR says with a grain of salt these days....

. First of all Welcome! You were duped into waiting to switch. I am waiting myself on the 129 replacement and new channels. I have access to Fios here but not a fan of contracts. I like DISH's equipment , it's keeping me. I perhaps will use Fios for the Locals (Fisher/KOMO). Fox news HD or Ex Innongs, Very wishfull thinking...BTW prefer CNN here versus silly Fox news :)>) >

Well it's 2009 - How about a poll of "E"'s credibility?

DTV transition..confused

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)