Cut the Cord

enoree

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2005
Just cancelled Dish, got 200MBS Fiber now amd doing Hulu Live with every channel I want for $78 versus $130 on Dish, and no loss of signal when it rains. Been a Sat sub since 1998, but tech has made it a dinosaur.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I am investigating because for the first time since 2005, I have gotten go the end of a two year contract because I upgraded before the end of each of the previous ones. I see no equipment upgrades as I have a Hopper 3 and 4K Joey's. So the impact of the full subscription and the hardware fees have gotten too high. But switching to streaming is not easy as we have so many "must" channels that one service cannot provide them. So the package of multiple services is still less by. 40% but at the cost of more complicated access, a major issue with the spouse. And there is no Dishscape on the internet.

When I was full-time RVing, Dish was the only answer for anywhere in the country and the poor internet bandwidth in remote areas. But now off the road and fiber internet, I guess it is time for a change but the research is not done yet.

No Guide, yes, that will be a sore loss, the lack of a common guide across all the channels.
But most of the internet services offer DVR functions.

Just cancelled Dish, got 200MBS Fiber now amd doing Hulu Live with every channel I want for $78 versus $130 on Dish, and no loss of signal when it rains. Been a Sat sub since 1998, but tech has made it a dinosaur.
You are lucky to find everything you want with Hulu. One reason I stay with Dish, is that there are many channels I cannot find elsewhere at any price. The way streaming services are going up, it will not be that much longer until they are in the cable/Dish price range, and with Dish, more channels are available. I have streaming with Roku's & Fire Sticks. A nice addition, but at least at this time they do not replace Dish. Also tonight living on the Oregon Coast, our internet went out for hours, yet I still had Dish. We have a Pacific storm off the coast.

And you have no DVR or guide
No Guide, yes, that will be a sore loss, the lack of a common guide across all the channels.
But most of the internet services offer DVR functions.
Hulu Live has a guide and a DVR, if you have any more questions ask in the Cord Cutters Forum.

How is Hulu Live on 4K offerings?
How is any Traditional Provider on 4K Content, they all suck unless you want to watch sporadic sporting events, but you do get access to the apps that has the 4K content when it is offered, but most of the sporting events are not real 4K, just unconverted from 1080.

If you want non sports TV content real 4K with DV/HDR, you have to subscribe to Streaming Services (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBOMAX, etc), even Paramount+ looks great because they show their new content in real 1080P with HDR

Why are we asking these questions here, there is a section of the forum ready to answer these type of inquiries.

My guide issue is that no single service has all the channels we want and so each service has its guide but there is no common guide across them. That is one advantage of Dish as the EPG does.

At the moment I am considering Fubo or YouTube TV plus another service or two to fill in. Hulu gets more expensive when feathers are added

you might give Tubi TV a look see. Total cost is ZERO! I remember the FCC commissioner who fumed back in 1961 that television was a vast waste land. Today it has expanded into an even vaster collection of garbage channels. You can get much of it for free!

When it rains? I only lose signal when it RAINS!!! And that isn't too common. But the savings is cool.

I left for a few years but ended up coming back. By the time I added unlimited data to my internet and then subscribed to the streaming service, it just wasn’t worth it anymore. Too many compromises and I really missed the Hopper 3. We had been with Dish for about 18ish years or so prior.

Hope it works out for you. I too cut the cord a couple of years ago. But, whenever I had a problem everybody passed the buck. Roku would blame it on let’s say Paramount+, they in turn would blame it on my internet provider. Nobody ever wanted to own the problems that would pop up. I pay DISH $30 more a month but I have one point of contact when I have a problem, which is few and far in between. As I always do, I will reconsider when my two yr lock is up again.

My guide issue is that no single service has all the channels we want and so each service has its guide but there is no common guide across them. That is one advantage of Dish as the EPG does.

At the moment I am considering Fubo or YouTube TV plus another service or two to fill in. Hulu gets more expensive when feathers are added
FWIW - I saw an article about a program that works as an aggregator type guide. I have no more info. as I did not read it, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)