Cutters Q&A: Sling VP on Why You Can’t Just Move DISH Customers Over to Sling TV

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA

They need to get Locals on Sling to fix it and build packages that include Boost Infinite. And lastly, they need to let customers choose if they want ATT or TMo until Dish’s network is built out. That would solve so many woes and increase business. More conversions from Dish to Sling and more new biz for BI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sling also needs to be offered at a big discount since it does not include the transport pipe so one needs to factor in the ISP costs. I thought they allow AT&T, TMo and Dish for customers to choose currently.

No, BI does not allow you to choose. Their internal system determines what is best for you. In reviewing reddit comments, it appears their system is wrong a lot. It’s why I won’t switch. Can’t risk getting stuck with TMo which has crummy service in my area.

No, BI does not allow you to choose. Their internal system determines what is best for you. In reviewing reddit comments, it appears their system is wrong a lot. It’s why I won’t switch. Can’t risk getting stuck with TMo which has crummy service in my area.
Interesting. So basically it has the 3 networks available but there is no manual override. I agree with you 100%.

Reactions: charlesrshell
After reading this story I get the impression that they still don't know what to do with DISH. They claim there are two different groups of subs that go to DISH vs Sling TV. The point the interviewer was making to her, was the same thing I have said but I took it further. Merge DISH with Sling TV and give that app the better interface that DISH has and move people off to Sling TV. If a DISH sub wants to quit the service - offer them a discounted Sling TV account for 6 months. Let them use it to determine if they would like it. That way the churn would be less and they wouldn't necessarily lose a subscriber. Doing nothing won't work in this situation. This is the time to try to move their current subs to Sling TV so they don't lose them forever. :rolleyes:

After reading this story I get the impression that they still don't know what to do with DISH. They claim there are two different groups of subs that go to DISH vs Sling TV. The point the interviewer was making to her, was the same thing I have said but I took it further. Merge DISH with Sling TV and give that app the better interface that DISH has and move people off to Sling TV. If a DISH sub wants to quit the service - offer them a discounted Sling TV account for 6 months. Let them use it to determine if they would like it. That way the churn would be less and they wouldn't necessarily lose a subscriber. Doing nothing won't work in this situation. This is the time to try to move their current subs to Sling TV so they don't lose them forever. :rolleyes:

Sling needs a STB that gives a similar user experience to Dish, channel numbers and all. No reason the remote can't be identical to the 54.0. Basically an Android box with custom UI.

Lack of regional sports is not helping Dish or Sling by any means.

You do understand that DirecTV has lost a higher number of subscribers ( both in percentage and numbers) then Dish, yet they carry all of the RSNs.

Right before AT&T bought them, they had 20 Million Sat Subscribers, today of 11.8 Million, which includes 2.5 Million Uverse subs and 1.5 Million via internet/stream subs, that leaves the Satellite Service with 7.8 Million.

By the way, DirecTV used to have 6 million more subs then Dish, now the difference is just a million.

Lastly, the RSNs get very low ratings and cord cutting is putting them out of business, today only about 40 million total pay the per sub fee for RSNs, in 2016, about 100 million did.

From this link-

Last edited:
Sling needs a STB that gives a similar user experience to Dish, channel numbers and all. No reason the remote can't be identical to the 54.0. Basically an Android box with custom UI.

Sorry, but they’ve lost too much content. Even I, a “loyal” Dish supporter, must consider leaving. I estimate 6-12 months, and if nothing changes, I, too, shall have to depart.

Money doesn’t talk, it swears.

You do understand that DirecTV has lost a higher number of subscribers ( both in percentage and numbers) then Dish, yet they carry all of the RSNs.

Right before AT&T bought them, they had 20 Million Sat Subscribers, today of 11.8 Million, which includes 2.5 Million Uverse subs and 1.5 Million via internet/stream subs, that leaves the Satellite Service with 7.8 Million.

By the way, DirecTV used to have 6 million more subs then Dish, now the difference is just a million.

Lastly, the RSNs get very low ratings and cord cutting is putting them out of business, today only about 40 million total pay the per sub fee for RSNs, in 2016, about 100 million did.

From this link-

DTV also significantly pricier than Dish. It’s not a full apples apples comparison on why they are both bleeding subscribers.

One of the cool things about having a Dish Outdoor account, is that we can pause the service at any time with no fee just by not paying the next bill. My wife and I will be pausing Dish and testing a month of full streaming either in December or January. We won't be going to Sling though. Our first test will be with YoutubeTV because we do want our locals and some other programming that Sling doesn't carry.

I just resolved one obstacle, not being able to feed both our living room and kitchen TV's with the identical Firestick app perfectly sync'd. The kitchen will also have it's own Firestick eventually with a simple push of a button switching between them.

One of the cool things about having a Dish Outdoor account, is that we can pause the service at any time with no fee just by not paying the next bill. My wife and I will be pausing Dish and testing a month of full streaming either in December or January. We won't be going to Sling though. Our first test will be with YoutubeTV because we do want our locals and some other programming that Sling doesn't carry.

I just resolved one obstacle, not being able to feed both our living room and kitchen TV's with the identical Firestick app perfectly sync'd. The kitchen will also have it's own Firestick eventually with a simple push of a button switching between them.
How did you resolve your firestick obstacle?

How did you resolve your firestick obstacle?
On the living room end, I installed a "Simplified SP12S" HDMI splitter with one output fed to the kitchen TV and the other to the living room TV, with a 16 GB 4K MAX Firestick as the source. The Simplified splitter is pricey compared to others, but it's the only one I found that feeds an individual feed to each TV so it adjusts to different sized TV's. The others I looked at all recommended using similar TV's for both feeds. Our living room and kitchen TV's are significantly different, and the SP12S handles them both perfectly. Since the smaller kitchen TV only has one HDMI port, I also installed a two port (2 in, 1 out) HDMI switch in the kitchen that switches between the living room Firestick and currently a Dish Joey that will become a dedicated Firestick when we pause Dish.

Amazon product ASIN B08Z5MHQ7F
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z5MHQ7F
Amazon product ASIN B0BG3TMQ2Y
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG3TMQ2Y

On the living room end, I installed a "Simplified SP12S" HDMI splitter with one output fed to the kitchen TV and the other to the living room TV, with a 16 GB 4K MAX Firestick as the source. The Simplified splitter is pricey compared to others, but it's the only one I found that feeds an individual feed to each TV so it adjusts to different sized TV's. The others I looked at all recommended using similar TV's for both feeds. Our living room and kitchen TV's are significantly different, and the SP12S handles them both perfectly. Since the smaller kitchen TV only has one HDMI port, I also installed a two port (2 in, 1 out) HDMI switch in the kitchen that switches between the living room Firestick and currently a Dish Joey that will become a dedicated Firestick when we pause Dish.

Amazon product ASIN B08Z5MHQ7F
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z5MHQ7F
Amazon product ASIN B0BG3TMQ2Y
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG3TMQ2Y
Very nice. Did you get another Firestick remote too for TV in kitchen.?

Yes, the kitchen will get two remotes (marked), one for each Firestick.
Nice setup. I wish the Hopper had a way to sync recordings. Would of saved me bunches of headaches & expense. I have a HDMI-RF modulator attached to my primary Hopper 3. RF signal goes to my home distribution 12-port RF splitter. I have eight remotes paired to my Hopper. Wife & I sync all the time. Her in Greatroom & me in my redneck man cave in the garage. I get stuck with the skip forward button duties & I better get skip done in a timely manner, if you know what I mean!! I love Autohop.

How do you actually get around the fees by not paying the bill since wouldn't the be adding fees among other fees and then hurt your credit as a result?