Cutting Costs

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
I would like to reduce some of my Dish costs, but I could use some help with info on cutting the various charges, fees, etc. CSR are not very helpful.

I currently have two 622 receivers. The costs are $17 duo Dvr, $5 DVR service and $9 Primary Receiver. If I drop one 622 it seems I will only save the $9 fee. I guess there is no way to reduce receiver fees beyond the $9 and keep a Duo DVR receiver. I know $9 per month isn't huge but everything helps.

I will keep "Locals" "HBO" go down to the "Top 250" and "HD" package. I will drop the "Showtime" movie package, "Superstation" package. While I would like to keep "Versus" I can't see keeping the "Everything" pac for just for it.

I'm home most of the time so what I noted as keeping I do watch. Does anybody have any other ideas on cutting down the raising Dish costs?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I've never heard of a $9 fee either.
If you drop one 622 your fee is $6 for the DVR fee only.
Or, you could drop a 622 and go with a 612 or a 211 with DVR conversion. The 612 is a dual-tuner receiver meant for one TV, and it will cost $10/mo rather than $17 for the 622. A 211 will cost you only $7/mo, but you will have a one-time $40 DVR Conversion fee.

Thank you everyone.

I have a central box that all a/v wires run through. I will change the feeds to the room that had the second box to get the TV2 signal from the one remaining first box. I will also disconnect the OTA line from the second box and run it directly to the TV. Then I'll call Dish to remove box 2 from my account. At least I'll keep HD signal for OTA channels I get. I know I can use a RF remote to run box one.

My fault I should have done this some time ago when my wife died but I just did not get around to it. Pretty stupid for a one person household to have 2 - 622 boxes.

Thank you everyone.

I have a central box that all a/v wires run through. I will change the feeds to the room that had the second box to get the TV2 signal from the one remaining first box. I will also disconnect the OTA line from the second box and run it directly to the TV. Then I'll call Dish to remove box 2 from my account. At least I'll keep HD signal for OTA channels I get. I know I can use a RF remote to run box one.

My fault I should have done this some time ago when my wife died but I just did not get around to it. Pretty stupid for a one person household to have 2 - 622 boxes.

You will have the return the box that you're deactivating.

Just cut back to one 622 receiver and dropped Showtime, Superstations. I was told I need to wait until Wednesday to downgrade basic package.

I must thank Iceberg, Hemi 6.1 and The Krell for noting the 1st receiver is free. While the CSR was very nice when she read off the remaining charges it included a charge for the 1st receiver. When I stated that the 1st receiver should be free, the charge was removed. Thank you guys.

It really pisses me off that Dish has BS charges like that at do not let their customers no about it. They wait until the customer asks and then they get rid of it. I understand it's nice to get that extra money but you would have to feel like a** to take advantage of people like that.

If you don't need both HDTVs on at the same time(say your in the livingroom and move to the bedroom to watch TV) because the outputs on the 622 are always on,alot of Dish subscribers run HDMI to one HDTV and Component with audio cables to the other HDTV from the 622.Then you can access all the HD features and picture with the UHF TV2 remote control,to avoid the $17. extra DVR receiver fee.;)

TV is just getting too expensive. I see AT250 as the minimum package that I want to have but may be able to drop to AT200 once I get some decent bandwidth. I can watch some of the shows off the internet to keep my package price down. One could pay the $40 DVR fee to prevent the $6 monthly fee (which will probably be $7 soon seeing how Directv raised theirs to that price).

Thanks everyone for all the help advise and saving $$$, that's why this is the best site on the web.

Scott, I don't know why I have to call again. My guess is they hope I will forget or just not do it. But I'm going to call Wednesday morning.

Again, thanks.

Bob, Bob, Bob

Always looking for something that doesn't exist (Dish sale to Google). I have had the same receivers and packages for over 6 years. I have not had a time guarantee contract for as long as I can remember being with Dish since 1997.

But keep plugging Bob. Perhaps you were thinking this is the Directv forum.

Bob, Bob, Bob

Always looking for something that doesn't exist (Dish sale to Google). I have had the same receivers and packages for over 6 years. I have not had a time guarantee contract for as long as I can remember being with Dish since 1997.

But keep plugging Bob. Perhaps you were thinking this is the Directv forum.

now how would i or anyone else know if you have a contract, geez i am not a family member

today contracts and leased boxes are the norm rather than the exception......

As the CSR on Monday requested I called today (Wednesday) to down grade the basic package to "Top 200". Today's CSR processed the change without problem.

Still do not know the reason a second call was required, but as I use the "800" phone number Dish pays for 2 calls rather than just one.

oh and don't forget about the additional $6 charge starting today

I just called today to drop my second HD DVR because I just never use it and come to find out they are increasing my charges today by $6 because I am on a package they no longer consider "basic".

That's the way to do it Dish, charge customers that are on packages you previously offered another $6/month so that they will move off that package.

I'm considering dropping it all together and just buying the shows I actually want to watch (combined with Netflix I already have).

I do have a bunch of shows saved on an external HD though, is there any way to access those shows?

(I saved a net of $11, dropping $17 and increasing $6 programming fee)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)