cutting down a tree?

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
I know its differnt everywhere (I'm in CT) but on average what do you guys feel is a fare price to cut down a few trees? I have two trees in my back yard (I'll be upfront that they are on a good incline - then it levels off so the tree's are pretty mush level but to get to that level is a good 45 angle of about 20-35 feet) one of the tree's is actually four stalks about 50-70 feet tall but only one trunk...

just curious to see if my local peron is charging too much or I just have a bad judgement on cost of things - my money (no pun intended) is on the poor judge of things :D....

Thanks in advance,
John

I was just quoted 750.00 for a similiar job, this was by a professional company with all the papers and insurance, although they were on level ground and close together

Bob

I can second the approximately $1000 for a tree in Michigan. I am in SW mich not far from Dave Nye. The only time I have ever seen a break on the price is if the wood is valuable in some way.

thanks for the input -- i have been given one quote for about $1500 for all "five" trees; he would need to climb to cut them down in stages... clear away brush but leave the heavy stuff cut up... to me it seems like a BUNCH of money (too much for me to have done - which means no sat tv for me - :-( ) But I know I can't do it myself and the one company that came today seems very professional....

I am waiting on some more people to look at it tough...

Before giving up, go to ACE Hardware and buy and "Angle Finder", around $10. With this you can determine what actually needs to be cut. You will be surprised at how little may need to be removed. Once you have done this, you may find that some of the trees could be simply topped. I topped myself (former tree trimmer) what I thought needed to be removed (parts of a dozen trees). Only later did I get the Angle Finder and discover that I cut much more than needed.

Mr Ranger

Mr Ranger said:
Before giving up, go to ACE Hardware and buy and "Angle Finder", around $10. With this you can determine what actually needs to be cut. You will be surprised at how little may need to be removed. Once you have done this, you may find that some of the trees could be simply topped. I topped myself (former tree trimmer) what I thought needed to be removed (parts of a dozen trees). Only later did I get the Angle Finder and discover that I cut much more than needed.

Mr Ranger

Great info and will re-look into it....

1) a D* installer said all I need to do is lower the "trees" so that from my driveway base I would see no tops. From what I have been told being in CT is one of the "worst" states for angle as for the main bird its at near the horizon. So what you say is right on the money :)

BUT (I always hate the but)

2) the one tree person that came out today said that toping these tree's would kill them since they are soo tall with the bulk of the branches toward the top?

Does that make sense with you folks? TRUST me I would love to just top them - I doubt I could it myself anyway as my 15' foot ladder doesn't do much (plus I have a slight fear of hieghts - ok an extreme lol)

Never attempt to cut any tree off a ladder! If you do, make sure you have someone video tape so I can look for it on AFV!

What type of trees are they and how old? If there is very little folage low they may not be able to be cut back enough as was suggest by the tree man.

I'm going to look to see if I can figure out how to attach some pictures of some that I cut back as an example. I don't know if I need to have a web page to link to or what? I'll take a look at it.

Well I hope this works and doesn't slow everyone down.

Attachments

• IMG_2541.JPG
    IMG_2541.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2544.JPG
    IMG_2544.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 182
If you expand the images (not referring to the thumbnails) you can get a better idea as to the size and scope. All together here I count 7 trees that were topped. The White Pines in the photo are about 80 foot tall and the diameter is 34-36 inches.

In the bottom left corner of one of the images is a 30x50 pole barn. These trees too had most of the folage in the tops yet where still able to be cut back and had plenty of folage to sustain the tree. It took me no more than 2 hours to cut them, while my Dad stacked the brush which I later burned. In addition I removed maybee a half of dozen trees.

A good way to test a tree care company is to call them up and ask them about topping a tree. If they a) try to talk you out of it, and b) refuse to top the tree even if you insist, they they may be worth hiring.

If they say "sure we can top that tree" - then do NOT hire them. No offense Mr. Ranger.

Trees can be pruned, but they should never be topped. Trees do not heal but seal off wounds, allowing infected wood to decay. When you top a tree you open a large surface to decay organisms. Branches attached near the wound often turn up to become the new leader. Often several branches will become leaders. These are weakly attached to a decaying core. Within a few years these heavy branches are very likely to fail without warning and are extremely dangerous. First they are high in the tree so they fall a long way. Second they fail at the trunk so the entire branch falls. Third, because they are high in the tree the wound is likely to not be inspected regularly .

Sure the tree can survive topping for many years, but the danger they represent in a landscape simply is not worth the risk.

A good tree care company can prune windows in the trees to allow for satellite access, or the trees should be removed completely.

Get more than one estimate. $1500 for 5 trees is a pretty good price. When I had a single tree, growing over a greenhouse (talk about potential liability) removed the estimates ranges from $650 to $2,400, all from insured and reputable companies. The $650 company did a fine job.

As Mr. Ranger suggested get yourself an "Angle Finder" or "Inclinometer" and look for yourself. Maybe there's a better place in your yard that can see the satellites you need.

Why spend money when you can build one for free? http://www.exploratorium.edu/math_explorer/howHigh_makeInclino.html

It saved me a heckuva lot of money. I was planning to have about eight trees cut, but by walking around and using this tool and a compass I was able to find a "sweet spot" in my yard where I could mount a motorized dish (for my FTA system) and see all the way from 30W to 129W. The angles were a lot higher than I was estimating just "eyeballing" it. Turned out none of my trees were actually in the way.

Last edited:
as they say when it rains it pours...

... I had four differnt tree people at my home today. And one person (well known in the area - as in I see his trucks all the time) and if he leaves the "mess" for me to deal with its going to cost me only $400 which is something I can live with... would have been $1500 to cut and haul all away...

just wanted to thank everyone :)

John

I always try to have my tree work done in Jan/Feb...

Unless there's a snow/ice storm that knocks down a bunch of trees in my area I find the tree guys give better prices in the winter when there's less work and they don't have to deal with the leaves when chipping up the branches.

Additionally, if a bucket truck is required , it'll be on your lawn when the ground is hard/frozen so there's less lawn tearup.

You can also get a better price if they don't have to haul away the trees/chips. Those trees look like good hardwood (some birch and maple?) so you'll want to keep them if you have a fireplace (even if you don't you won't have trouble giving them away). The wood chips... I would have them leave in place, you can spread it under the remaining trees and use as mulch (if the trees being cut down aren't diseased). There's an organic dye you can purchase to color the chips to a nice brown, black or red color. Make sure you put down a good amount of insecticide in the spring though...

When sighting the satellites' locations make sure you use the "real" elevation from an elevation calculator (at Sadoun.com) and sight it with a cheap $10 inclinometer. Your dish, while pointing directly at a tree, is actually reflecting a signal that is coming down 35-degrees higher than the dish itself appears to be "pointing."

With the price of firewood being what it is these days you are better off keeping the mess and giving it to a wood scrounger. Hardwood softwood it all burns and someone will want it. Lots of people these days use wood outdoor boilers and they dont' care if its hard or softwood. If you plan of cleaning it up yourself you can get a cheap electric chain saw for $60 if electric is available where you are working. A regular chainsaw can be had for $120 and believe me they do come in handy from time to time.
As for topping trees I bet 1/5th of the trees on my 66 acres got topped during the ice storm of 98. The looked a tad stupid for a couple years then came back perfectly one and all. After a couple seasons you will hardly even notice the difference in shape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts