CW5 KTLA-HD because of space?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LASooner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 29, 2005
Give me a break.

KTLA HD is not up because of sat space and it "should" be up by "the end of the year" when the new satellite is up.

That's what Charlie insinuated, that KTLA is not being added because of space, yet buffalo and Chicago are getting CW-HD.

I call BS on this one.

BTW, has anyone noticed that "by the end of the year" is becoming the new "soon"

Buffalo and and Chicago CW are being uplinked to SPOT beams at 61.5°. WGN America is presumably at 129° and 61.5°. There is no room at the inn for a local HD channel (not a super station) in the west coast. There will be "soon"

See ya
Tony

KTLA Channel 5 IS a superstation

According to some DISH cannot offer the suers in HD out of msarket. i don't agree witht hat but many claim that.
Of course I see no reason---other than bandwidth that would stop them from carrying it in th LA market.

I am sure folks in LA would love to point a Dish at 61.5 just for KTLA (Not)

It is a space issue. Notice all the new HD locals are all on the east coast. Space is the reason why.

Charlie's approximate words were "It's a space thing. Once we get our new satellites up, we'll have the space." The clear implication being, once we have the space we'll have KTLA HD.

Fitzie

I am not arguing that KTLA TV is a superstation.

There is a gigantic question mark on KTLA DT.

He knew that. He as in fact taking issue with you.

that is what I alluded to above. Many on these boards feel that only the analog versions of the named superstations qualify as supers. Other disagree. I have gotten some confirmation from DISH that they think that the digital versions of the superstations are superstations. But others say they have heard the exact opposite from DISH.

But supers are not they could offer the station in the home market if they have room. But that is a big IF.

Is the question whether Dish can go national with KTLA HD? I'd like to get some of that west coast programming, especially if they do the west coast basketball.

Fitzie

Is the question whether Dish can go national with KTLA HD? I'd like to get some of that west coast programming, especially if they do the west coast basketball.

Fitzie

The question is whether they could go national with any of the supers using a digital feed.

Put simply those who say that they cannot point to the fact that SHVERA names certain stations as superstations but uses the -Tv prefix and not the DT one. That leads many to think that the digital stations a re not superstations.

Others point to the fact that the authority to carry superstations extens for several months past the twilight of analog stations, and the fact that DISH is required to file a form twice a year listing the number of subs to analog and digital feeds of the superstations. That seems odd if there are no digital superstations.

advocates of both positions say that DISH has agreed with them.

So who knows for sure.

All that space left by voom? Or did I miss 10 channels that were added after they were taken down? Because those 22 channels were online while we still had the Vooms.

It's got to be a negotiation issue. If they offered the superstations KTLA, KWGN or WPIX in HD that would give people in every market access to CW in HD.

It's not space issue about adding another local, it's about adding national CW-HD

LASooner,

That space is for NATIONAL services. KTLA HD (at least at this point) is NOT a national service. There is no room for a local TV station at 129°, 110° or 119° right now. They aren't going to use 148° for locals partially because of the digital (not HD) must carry which takes effect next year.

See ya
Tony

LASooner,

That space is for NATIONAL services. KTLA HD (at least at this point) is NOT a national service. There is no room for a local TV station at 129°, 110° or 119° right now. They aren't going to use 148° for locals partially because of the digital (not HD) must carry which takes effect next year.

See ya
Tony

I think that what he is telling ou is that in his mind it COULD be a national service.

I think that what he is telling ou is that in his mind it COULD be a national service.

What I'm saying is the standard definition version of KTLA is a national channel. Why should the HD version be any different?

They're using the excuse that it's a space issue, when it's clearly an symantics issue over what is and isn't a superstation in the digital era.

If it was a superstation in SD, why wouldn't it be superstation in HD? Is the superstation package going away?

What I'm saying is the standard definition version of KTLA is a national channel. Why should the HD version be any different?

They're using the excuse that it's a space issue, when it's clearly an symantics issue over what is and isn't a superstation in the digital era.

If it was a superstation in SD, why wouldn't it be superstation in HD? Is the superstation package going away?

again some say that it will go away and that only the analog ones are superstatison. I laid out both sides of the argument above.

Personally I think that the digital ones are superstations but Tony abd several other sdisagree.

It could have also been one of the conditions by Tribune!

If Dish has the legal right to carry KTLA HD nationally (which is a question mark) and Tribune doesn't like that, Tribune could have made this a condition to granting local-into-local retransmission consent for all the other stations and WGN America.

Anyway, the net effect is that KTLA HD is a LOCAL station. And, as I've stated several times before, there is no room at the inn for western US HD locals!

See ya
Tony

In the end the question is whteher the digital feed is also a superstation. Superstations are also local stations (although carriage is covered by a different part of the law) and the designation of national service would be irrelevant it is.

My last word on this. Superstation discussions tend to go in circles. I suspect that next February we will find out if it isa superstation. A for locl HD carriage that appears to be a space issue and who knows when that gets resolved.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)