• It is unfair against E*.

Votes: 38 63.3%

• Total voters

Mojo Jojo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
US
Did everyone see the D* commercial against E*'s "basic package" not having FX, Hallmark, Animal Planet, or Bravo? The Same TV for Less? Really? commercial is on D*'s website.

I do not see where D* says or defines what E*'s basic package is on the commercial. If one looks at the Dish Family package, then he or she would see that Hallmark and Animal Planet are included in that package.

I am sure that you noticed that D* wants to sue E* over their ad.

I am curious to see what everyone thinks.

Last edited:
I just checked out their website, WHAT A JOKE! Everything DirecTV says they have Dish also has other than the Sports Packages. I think DirecTV is in a panic and thinks they need to retaliate. DirecTV isn't the only company that can come up with good commercials.

Just looks like as of recent ads that Direct sees the recent climb and aditional HD channels Dish has had

I love how they promote their capacity to carry 200+ HD channels. Who cares until you actually have those channels.

I think it's fair game. Why isn't FX in AT120? Science channel and National Geo should be in AT200, not AT250.

Dish costs less than DirecTV is true. The reason Dish costs less is because of programming contracts. It's no secret that Charlie Ergen is as tight as they get when it comes to negotiating contracts.

DirecTV cost more but it can be argued that you get more when it comes to programming.

If your talking about sports.
Dish has more HD, International,Music ,Adult channels, Super Station pack and More Premium Movie channels.

Actually is the sports thing true anymore except NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings (plus a few RSN's...yawn)?

Dish has WFN and Versus in HD. Direct TV has neither even in SD.

Dish has WGN and FSC in HD. DirectTV only has them in SD.

Actually is the sports thing true anymore except NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings (plus a few RSN's...yawn)?

Dish has WFN and Versus in HD. Direct TV has neither even in SD.

Dish has WGN and FSC in HD. DirectTV only has them in SD.
Yes D* has More Hight prices seasonal sports packs then Dish.
And D* has MLB channel,and GolTV

If your talking about sports.
Dish has more HD, International,Music ,Adult channels, Super Station pack and More Premium Movie channels.
Thats's all good but does getting 5 channels of crap make up for leaving out 1 "common" channel? Quality not quantity. Talking about base paks, not premiums anyways.

I voted "fair" because I don't like the use of the word, "unfair". My students use it all of the time and the word tends to be overused. I tell them to get use to it because nothing in life is fair. If you go out seeking fairness, you will be unhappy and fail.

I think both Dish's commercial against Direct and Direct's commercial against Dish are both fair to the same degree. Both distort the truth and compare apples to oranges, and both should not cry when one does it to the other. A better word would be accurate as opposed to fair

I also voted fair because I think the best way to handle commercial competition is through the market of advertising and they should leave the courts out of it as much as possible. Direct should have never have filed this stupid suit. Coming back with a commercial of their own is the best way to handle it.

Of course, if you put this poll in the Direct forum, you would get a different outcome than you have here.

I think it's fair game. Why isn't FX in AT120? Science channel and National Geo should be in AT200, not AT250.

Dish costs less than DirecTV is true. The reason Dish costs less is because of programming contracts. It's no secret that Charlie Ergen is as tight as they get when it comes to negotiating contracts.

DirecTV cost more but it can be argued that you get more when it comes to programming.
I totally know what you are talking about! Two big channels in my family was FX and Boomerang With dish i had no choice there were only two packages that i could get these. There were more channels but these were HUGE!

I guess it depends what your talking about.

D* has nothing special that no other provider has. What Sunday Ticket? No thanks!

Lol, but wouldnt that be something special that no other provider has? I know many would think so.

lol! We're talking about DirecTV saying their package has more channels that people want than Dish's. What are you talking about?
That depends on the individual. If someone signs up for the DishFamily or the AT120, then they are getting what THEY want.

In general, yes, Directs basic channel has many more channels than Dish's basic package, which is one reason why it cost much more. Both companies are comparing apples to oranges.

I know this much . DISH 's commercials are hitting home and they are finally adding more subs than losing last quarter . They added more than Directv did. So I see panic in Directv's eyes because the perception is that DISH is cheaper . Which is true if all you compare is programming alone. Directv has focused on the high end sub who loves sports. DISH has focused on the value sub who loves low prices and or movies. IN these economic times guess who wins right now?

DIRECTV can either lower their prices to compete or they can sue. Looks like they will sue instead. Guess who is the king of extended lawsuits? Charlie Ergen and his DISH /Echostar companies. He can keep this going indefinitely , just like he has with Voom and Tivo. Either way DISH is on the right track on everything they are doing EXCEPT the equipment fees they are charging.

If DIRECTv wants to really hit back they need to play up the disadvantage that DISH has in those equipment fees. They could really kill DISH if they run commercials about these fees and said: "Why would you ever pay more for additional receivers?" or "Why would you ever pay $17.00 for an additional dvr receiver?" Imagine that commercial with Directv touting: "At DIRECTV we only charge $5.00 a month for additional dual tuner dvr receiver, with DISH you pay $12.00 more a month to have the same dual tuner dvr receiver. "Now DIRECTV could run those commercials all day long and they would be telling the truth and it would have impact on DISH.

I know this much . DISH 's commercials are hitting home and they are finally adding more subs than losing last quarter . They added more than Directv did. So I see panic in Directv's eyes because the perception is that DISH is cheaper . Which is true if all you compare is programming alone. Directv has focused on the high end sub who loves sports. DISH has focused on the value sub who loves low prices and or movies. IN these economic times guess who wins right now?

DIRECTV can either lower their prices to compete or they can sue. Looks like they will sue instead. Guess who is the king of extended lawsuits? Charlie Ergen and his DISH /Echostar companies. He can keep this going indefinitely , just like he has with Voom and Tivo. Either way DISH is on the right track on everything they are doing EXCEPT the equipment fees they are charging.

If DIRECTv wants to really hit back they need to play up the disadvantage that DISH has in those equipment fees. They could really kill DISH if they run commercials about these fees and said: "Why would you ever pay more for additional receivers?" or "Why would you ever pay $17.00 for an additional dvr receiver?" Imagine that commercial with Directv touting: "At DIRECTV we only charge $5.00 a month for additional dual tuner dvr receiver, with DISH you pay $12.00 more a month to have the same dual tuner dvr receiver. "Now DIRECTV could run those commercials all day long and they would be telling the truth and it would have impact on DISH.
Actually it would be $5, not $12 more for the same dual tuner dvr receiver, namely a 612 or 512. $12 more would get you a superior 2 tv dual tuner receiver with DVR service to both televisions. DirecTV would now be guilty of comparing apples to oranges.

So round and round it goes and who wins the argument? Dish lawyers or DirecTV marketing?

What is becoming clear is Charlie and Dish Network are prepared to go heads-up with DirecTV in the marketing war. That to me is the interesting thing to watch.

Yep Agree 100%.
But instead lets sue Dish because we still have no excuse for not giving 18 million customers any new HD for the Past 2 years.
8 Channels in 2 years is a slower pace then FIOS, and even my local Cable company..
But Lets charge more for all of it then anyone.

There is no one to blaim but that massive SundayTicket Bill hanging over 18 million's heads.
IF D* didn't have ST Exclusive, You May just have the lowest programming cost of any other provider.

Thats the difference between E* and D*

D* charges the Hell out of the lower end customers
Where E* Charges then hell out of the Higher end customers with the most equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts