D* vs Comcast, a Really Difficult Decision Right Now

Status
Please reply by conversation.

redman042

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Folsom, California (95630)
I'm moving this weekend and seriously debated whether we should stick with D* or switch to Comcast. I did a lot of research. It was a much more difficult decision than I thought it would be. After much deliberation, I decided to stick it out with D* for a while longer, even though that means I will have to forego HDTV for a little while longer and pay a bunch of money for the equipment when HD local channels are activated our area.

Here’s why it was a tough decision for me:

We have a 50" Samsung high-def TV, connected to a standard D* Tivo box and a 2 LNB dish. We’ve been on D* for several years. For high def, I've been getting by with off-air HD through a Windows Media Center HTPC with an HD tuner card. Works decent and has recording capability, but it is buggy. I want to ditch the HTPC and get good HD service through my provider, not off air, and I want my DVR to record HD. I want it all to work seamlessly.

D* is a good service, but it could be a lot better. They charge way too much for new equipment. Many channels, even the new XM music channels, are WAY over-compressed, and it’s irritating. They are way overdue in getting new birds up for high def. From what I’m hearing, it will be several years before they get done adding all the HD locals, and they won’t even THINK about reducing the compression on their existing channels until that’s done (they still have to serve all the existing channels to existing customers with old boxes and dishes). And I’m assuming that their existing HD nationals (DiscoveryHD, etc.), which are currently running at high compression and reduced resolution, are not going to improve for several years to come. All they care about right now is getting the HD locals up. We're in Sacramento, which is scheduled for D* local high-def channels early next year (so I hear). So for now I have to get a new 2LNB dish, then call them back out again in 2 months to put a 4 LNB new dish up and drill even more holes in the wall to bring a ridiculous number of coax cables in for local HD service. And pay a bunch of money for a new HD DVR box, which HOPEFULLY will be as good as the Tivo, and HOPEFULLY will be available by then.

Switching to Comcast was tempting. Our new home is already wired up for Comcast (and it only takes 1 cable!), and they are offering HD national and local channels and their HD DVR (Moto 6412) for $10/mo with no equip costs at all. Their HD channels look great from what I hear. But Comcast has problems too. The first 100 channels are still analog, and they look lousy (so I hear). That includes many channels we watch frequently. Their DVR is buggy and unpolished. It is missing many of the features we love about our Tivo, including the fast-forward 3 second jump-back (for more accurate skipping through commercials), wishlists, etc. Many of their digital channels are over-compressed too. My wife loves the Tivo, and she is very used to it. If we go with Comcast and end up hating the box, she will be very unhappy.

Supposedly Comcast will be adding digital simulcast of the analog channels to all markets eventually, but who knows when, or if they’ll stick to the schedule, or how compressed those channels will be. Also, supposedly they have struck a deal with Tivo, but I’ve heard late ’06 is when we might start seeing the boxes.
After all this, I figured screw it… we will stick with what we know works, and look forward to it improving, and hope it improves enough, and soon enough, to keep us happy.

I know this is a long rant but I think it echoes the feelings and frustrations of many people here.

Analog cable can look much better than DBS - but it depends exactly where you are, etc.

My mom has only analog and while for years it looked like crap, in the last year or two they have fixed her signal. Live looks better than SA TiVo on best.

If I had a HDTV I would switch to Comcast in a hearbeat since DTV does not carry locals (yet), DirecTV does not have a DVR for locals, and OTA HDTV is a joke here in Denver. DTV will require a 2 year committment, I imagine Comcast will be much shorter.

I currently have my DTV account on hold as we are in an apartment until our new house is built. We currently are using Comcast. There are some advantages, such as all the locals. I finally can watch LOST in HD. I had a waiver for all but ABC with Direct.
I also have the DVR. It's horrible. I miss the Tivo.
INHD doesn't have much to offer on Comcast. I liked HDnet much better with DTV.
I guess it depends. What's more important to you to Tivo or more local channels?

Our local Comcast is not providing all the HD locals, either. They are carrying the big 4 plus PBS, but they are not carrying all the sub channels. Thankfully I do have good OTA.

Alas, I can't say which has better PQ, haven't looked closely yet.

Cheers,
Tom

ADent said:
Analog cable can look much better than DBS - but it depends exactly where you are, etc.

My mom has only analog and while for years it looked like crap, in the last year or two they have fixed her signal. Live looks better than SA TiVo on best.

If I had a HDTV I would switch to Comcast in a hearbeat since DTV does not carry locals (yet), DirecTV does not have a DVR for locals, and OTA HDTV is a joke here in Denver. DTV will require a 2 year committment, I imagine Comcast will be much shorter.

If you subscribe to the locals package all SD DVRs will record the locals. If you have an HD DTivo then you can record OTA HD as well.

A Comcast representative came to the door the other day. He offered me 16 months (not 6, but 16) of Digital Cable w/Starz and HBO for $29.95 a month. Adding in the DVR, HD channels and an additional digital cable box, the total came out in the low $50 plus tax which would take it to the mid $50s. Pretty good deal for 16 months actually.

The only thing stopping me for making this jump is the NFL Sunday Ticket. I love to watch football.

We've really become addicted to the Tivo and love the way it works. It is a big deal to us. Especially since the Comcast DVR seems to have reliability issues, not just a poor interface. The thing's gotta work right or else I'm not interested. I've already got an HTPC pulling OTA HD and it works. It doesn't work perfectly, but if the Comcast DVR is just as buggy, then what's the point of switching.

Now here's the catch... so say I stick with D* because of the Tivo. In 2 months they'll have our area on MPEG-4, and supposedly the new H20-250 (HD DVR) will be out, so I can get that and fulfill all our needs. But just like with Comcast, the new D* box is NOT a Tivo. I have heard the new non-HD DVR is actually really good, so I'm hoping it will come close and maybe even exceed the Tivo in some aspects.

The other issue of course is the only HD channels on MPEG-4 will be the locals, so for the national HD's I will still be getting compressed reduced-rez MPEG-2. I have not heard anything about D* moving those to the new birds. But it's still better than SD anyway.

redman042 said:
Now here's the catch... so say I stick with D* because of the Tivo. In 2 months they'll have our area on MPEG-4, and supposedly the new H20-250 (HD DVR) will be out, so I can get that and fulfill all our needs. But just like with Comcast, the new D* box is NOT a Tivo. I have heard the new non-HD DVR is actually really good, so I'm hoping it will come close and maybe even exceed the Tivo in some aspects.

Unless the HR20 software has been through a lot more testing than the R15 software, it will be a disaster in terms of usability and reliability. The R15 has major, major issues. (Like a limit of 50 Series Link recordings, no capability to switch buffer, etc.)

It likely will not exceed TiVo capabilities until late 2006, at earliest.

You also won't see the HR20 come out until closer to the end of Q1 2006, which gives them more like 5 months than 2 months.

If you're well and truly addicted to TiVo and insistant on HD, the only course of action is the HR10-250, which, even though it has some issues, is as close to bliss as anyone can or will get, for at least 6 months.

H

Neutron said:
If you have an HD DTivo then you can record OTA HD as well.

Which is handy since I probably can pick up Fox & WB w/o an outside antenna. And ABC is a no-go most likely no matter how big of an antenna I use.

I wouldn't switch to Comcast even if it was free.

Here they charge to connect a box to every outlet, and I'm not talking about the rental fee for the box, I'm talking about activation. $30 to be precise.

Their service sucks ass. I have cable internet, and once FIOS is available I'm switching.

I switched back from Comcrap last summer and returned to D*. Overall, I am much happier with D*. The analog signals on an HDTV never looked good. They weren't very watchable at all. Even the digital channels looked somewhat soft when compared to D*.

When it comes to HDTV, Comcast currently has D* beat. The quality is a bit better and there are more channels. In the NYC area, Comcast has UPN, WB, and PBS along with Starz, and Cinemax HD. When it comes to HDNet and INHD, I think I prefer INHD, but only marginally.

What drew me back to D*? The standard def channels were much better on D* when watching on a digital set. The service I received from Comcast was not that great either. If there were billing disputes, they were unhelpful. Prices rose after my initial Special Offer period was over. Comcast is an option though for the casual viewer who does not want to purchase equipment or put up satellite dishes.

Just keep in mind, that where you are located depends on how good of quality you get from comcast. I live in West Michigan, and have a friend that lives in Holland on Lake Michigan, and his analog channels look bad. His Digital and HD channels look no better than I get from my dish. I have another friend that lives in Grand Rapids, (about 35 miles away), but its the second largest city in Michigan, and his analog, digital and HD channels look fantastic. The difference is in Grand Rapids, they updated the lines to fiber optic on the streets for greater bandwith. In Holland, the lines are all still coax and not as much bandwith is available, so there is more compression there. So if your moving or living in a smaller, or rural town, then you may want to think twice about the picture quality with cable.

Proc said:
A Comcast representative came to the door the other day. He offered me 16 months (not 6, but 16) of Digital Cable w/Starz and HBO for $29.95 a month. Adding in the DVR, HD channels and an additional digital cable box, the total came out in the low $50 plus tax which would take it to the mid $50s. Pretty good deal for 16 months actually.

That would cost you around $89.00 a month around here, from the cable guy. But I wouldn't want it because of the grainy analog signal of the under 100 channels. It is viewable, but not great, on a analog TV, but when you put it on a HDTV, the grainy picture looks really bad.

Not sure how many places this has happened yet but in Philly area, Comcrap now has ALL the analog channels digital simulcasted, haven't seen how it looks compared to the analog but hear it looks alot better. I guess D* can't say they are better than cable because they broadcast in digital compared to analog like cable anymore!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)