Status
Please reply by conversation.

RLuyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Canton OH USA
Directv Dropping CNN International

I noticed Sunday evening they were running a crawler on CNNI stating that they would be dropping that channel and stating that the other two CNN channels would continue. I hope that have another good source of international news waiting in the wings to replace it. I'd like to see them carry BBC World or even Deutsche Welle's English service. I find most US news sources too superficial where international news is concerned. Anyone know how Murdoch's Sky B/C measures up?

I never watched CNNi anyways. If they get a good like World Headline News thing, some people would watch that I'd bet.

It's not that D* is dropping the channel but that CNN has decided to discontinue it.

rad said:
It's not that D* is dropping the channel but that CNN has decided to discontinue it.

This is not true. CNN/FN is being discontinued by CNN. CNNI, which was sharing the channel with CNN/FN is NOT being discontinued. It might require a separate contract but D* COULD continue to carry it if they chose to do so.

Well, it's official, according to a crawl on CNNI/fn (D* Ch. 358) last night:

DirecTV Channel 358 said:
Beginning Dec. 16th, 2004 CNN International will no longer be available on DIRECTV. Customers can still view CNN on channel 203 and CNN Headline News on channel 204.

Which makes for three -- count 'em -- THREE English-language signals being pulled from D* within a two week span: CNNI/fn (yes, I know CNNfn is going away, but it would be nice to have CNNI there -- after all, NWI is pretty piss poor as a singular choice for International news), FSN Chicago, and Trio.

Yet D* keeps piling on the foreign language programming. How long before we get a Malaysian cooking channel? Maybe a Spanish bullfighting channel? Oh, I know, a Russian infomercial channel!

D* promised more programming at the beginning of this year, didn't they?

From this vantage point, Comcrap - at least here in Atlanta - has the same programming as D* (not to mention E*) and now they are starting to add stuff with regularity to the point that they will strip D* soon.

Ah, let me get down off of my soapbox. After all, D* will be nice and launch another foreign language channel if I stand still for another day or two.

RLuyster said:
This is not true. CNN/FN is being discontinued by CNN. CNNI, which was sharing the channel with CNN/FN is NOT being discontinued. It might require a separate contract but D* COULD continue to carry it if they chose to do so.

Sorry my misunderstanding, I thought CNN was pulling it all.

I like CNN-I

Its the only channel that is live after 1AM ET when there is breaking news.

CNN switches to it for after midnight live.

Fox and MSNBC are all tape after 1am ET (except for those brief news updates).

I think they're talking about the same channel. I don't think DirecTV carries the 24/7 CNN-I channel (at least I couldn't find it) so they must be talking about the same channel. I bet dish will also be dropping rather than carrying CNN-I 24/7. But we'll probably find out tonight.

I wish they would pull more channels. There are currently about 50 channels in my TC package that I do not watch and I'd bet that I have not even looked at 40 of those 50, in the last 7 years. They could start by pulling all shopping channels other than HSN and QVC, Oklahoma needs something to watch. :p

I do support the international programming even though I watch NONE of these channels. Lest we forget, "Bring us you poor, your tired ..." and all that jazz.

I* know my bread and butter (HD Sports) in top on the hit list for The DirecTV Group and Disney (ESPN) and I can wait until SpaceWay 1. Next football season will be pretty nice for me and by the 2005-2006 NHL season, things should be good there too. Movies are my next priority and I hear those of us that are movie buffs will be very, very happy!

robert luzzi said:
i wish all cnn would be dropped,,,,,,,,,,,,,,go fox

Amen. The people on FNC are intelligent reporters, not just actors that tell you the news.

da_smush said:
Amen. The people on FNC are intelligent reporters, not just actors that tell you the news.

That may or not be true. Most news presenters especially the anchor persons are not really reporters. That's true of Fox like all the others. My main point was that I wanted to see news channels that gave in-depth coverage to international news not the superficial coverage presented by US based channels. Even very competent reporters like Christiane Amanpour of CNN is handicapped by the way her channel "packages" the news. You can't really understand what's going on in the world unless you have in-depth coverage and get your news from many different sources. This is especially true these days when a few companies own all the radio and TV stations and are too much under the influence of certain political agendas. We need as much information as possible and as many voices as possible.

If I watch news, its generally FNC (but not some of the shows) CNN sometimes if I can't sleep in the middle of the night. Aside from that, I could count the channels I watch on my hands normally.

RLuyster said:
My main point was that I wanted to see news channels that gave in-depth coverage to international news not the superficial coverage presented by US based channels. ... You can't really understand what's going on in the world unless you have in-depth coverage and get your news from many different sources. This is especially true these days when a few companies own all the radio and TV stations and are too much under the influence of certain political agendas. We need as much information as possible and as many voices as possible.

Exactly!! Isn't there ANYthing that we can do about it? There must be some group that cares that we are informed about what's going on in the rest of the world that's working on getting CNNI back on somewhere.

da_smush said:

My Friend has a daughter in college majoring in broadcasting. He said she is "required" to take a drama class.

How about them apples?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)