D500 and the Easter Arc

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Is there any way at all to point a D500 at the birds in the eastern arc? I mean, I know you can use one D500 for 61.5. Can you use another D500 for 72.7? Or 77?

Is it possible to skew the D500 properly to perhaps pick up both 72.7 and 77?

Also, I've been told in the past that either 72.7 or 77 are not being used at the moment. Which one is not being used, and is that still the case?

Both 72.2 & 77 are in use presently. It is better to break down and buy an eastern arc dish to receive all three sats. A dish 500 won't work. In my area of southeast Texas I was only able to get 45-55 range in strength on the 72.7 & 77 sats. It is stronger the further north you go on these two sats but I had rain fade on this dish. Might get better strength if DISH installed it rather than your self.

There's no reason that you can't use three D500s with single feed LNBs to spot all three satellites, but you can't use a Twin LNB to spot two at a time because they're not 9-10° apart; the focal length is wrong. To use three dishes you'd need a DP44 multiswitch to combine and distribute the signals.

1000.4 dish with LNBs costs $100+S&H from the vendors at the top of this page. I'd go that way if you don't already own four dishes with four single LNBs and a $200 DP44.

I've read a few posts where people have claimed to be using a D500 to pull in 61.5 and 72.7

72 and 77 are just too close together for an unmodified D500. You would see one or the other, but not both.

If this is something you are doing for yourself, go ahead and throw up 3 dishes.

Well, yeah, you might get some signal with a D500 between 61.5 and 72.7 (that's a little over 11°), but it'd hardly be ideal. You could use a wing dish to hit 77W and feed it to the LNB input on the Twin.

But for $100, the 1000.4 is a much better idea.

Last edited:
I wonder if someone could implement that 110 eye on the old plastic superdishes that was slim and pointy to attach next to another eye to get in both 72.7 and 77?

I am currently receiving 110, 119, and 129 near Durham, NC. During Spring, Summer, and Fall, we loose signal due to tree leaves. Moving dish or cutting the trees... out of the question. Someone told me they have new satellites or a new satellite in place further east that I might get a better signal from since it is a clear shot. Any truth to it??? If so, how can I do it? I'm a novice at this, so keep it simple.

Thanks... TomAda

TomAda: You should start by scanning this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/145238-eastern-arc-dish-info-install-guide.html

In zip code 277xx, you need to point the Eastern Arc dish 176° (nearly due south?) and up about 48°. If you have clear line of sight on this bearing, Eastern Arc Service may be for you. For reference, if you have all three of your satellites on one dish, it's currently pointing bearing 242° and 30° upward, according to my research.

To qualify for EA service, you need to have 100% MPEG4 equipment, like the 222, 622, and 722. The 311 and 625 receivers, for example, will not work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)