Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
A friend of mine who has Directv said he was going back to TWC because of some package deal that he can have his cable, phone and high speed internet all through cable for about 100 bucks a month. He also said that Direct and Dish have lost about 20% of their business because of this. Has anyone heard about this? Or could this be some cable propaganda bs.

I know that by loosing VOOM I am not happy with satellite anymore, and many from the VOOM Discussion Groups have stated the same and some have decided to go with Cable due to no commitment and the rental of HD DVR's. It's clear that satellite is in a transformation period presently. New satellites, new dishes, increased HD programing, rental equipment including receivers and DVR's are on the way. Everything is in a flux presently, where Cable may be ahead. Both DirecTV and Dish are playing catch-up and it may be a year(s) or so before they offer what the customers want. If they do, those that have gone to Cable, may come back due to lower cost and programing presently not avaiable. Time will tell!

Then again you have some areas where cable is still rural. One area I installed a dish in had cable without cable boxes!.

In the areas where money has been spent to improve infrastructure you will see increased competition.. in areas where they won't spend the moolah you'll see satellite remain.

How the MPEG 4 transition is handled will either make or break D* and E*. If customers have service interruptions and trouble with conversion upgrades it'll kill them.

ByrdWatcher said:
A friend of mine who has Directv said he was going back to TWC because of some package deal that he can have his cable, phone and high speed internet all through cable for about 100 bucks a month. He also said that Direct and Dish have lost about 20% of their business because of this. Has anyone heard about this? Or could this be some cable propaganda bs.

Pure propaganda bs. E* and D* continue to gain market share at the expense of cable. It is slowing down but that is to be expected. The 20% number has no basis in reality. HD enthusiasts (I'm one) tend to overstate its importance in relation to market share. HD still has several years to go before it really becomes a market force. IMHO

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=531441

NightRyder

Triple play (Phone, Video, Internet) is big feature of the Phone/cable companies. This is because they have found that most people are not likely to cancel any one of the three if they are bundled together.

Expect the DBS providers to try to strike up deals with ISPs and VoIP providers to have their own "bundling" offer.

Most wireless phone companies are actually owned by the regular phone companies, so don't expect some to them to bundle with DBS.

DBS continues to gain net new subs every month. So no it is ridiculous to say they have lost 20%

Satellite is losing probably somewhere around 2/3'rds of their gains to people leaving satellite (probably to another provider, cable, or because they couldnt pay their bill). When Verizon and other phone companies get in the mix with tv, internet, phone, etc. all in a bundled deal to compete in the future then perhaps they will be the ones to get the gains at the expense of cable and satellite.

Stargazer said:
Satellite is losing probably somewhere around 2/3'rds of their gains to people leaving satellite (probably to another provider, cable, or because they couldnt pay their bill). When Verizon and other phone companies get in the mix with tv, internet, phone, etc. all in a bundled deal to compete in the future then perhaps they will be the ones to get the gains at the expense of cable and satellite.

But right now satellite is gaining not losing market share.

Why do you think we opened up Cable TV forums. Its because the cable companies are starting to wake up and offer consumers the services and technologies which they have been asking for. HDTV, VOD, Cable Internet, Cable Telephone....

It sure looks to me that if satellite does not do something quick there could be more going back to cable tv.

CableTV still has problems, its DVR's make any basic Dish Network DVR look like an excellent piece of machnery. :D

But they are getting there which is why Comcast will have Tivo software on its upcoming boxes.

ByrdWatcher said:

Just read a couple of days ago that Directv gained 505.000 new subs in the first quarter of this year. I don't know if that was gross or net increase.

If the Next Generation CableCard (I think its Docis 2.0) supports all that I think it will (Vod, Interactive, PPV purchasing, EPG, etc..) then I might think about going back. They'll have to also beef up their HD too.

I cannot get the local channels with an antenna in my area of California. It was easier switching to cable. If I return to satellite service, I think I will choose a canadian provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts