Deactivating a receiver

mlyles

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
SC
Is deactivating a receiver and sending it back to Dish considered breaking the 18 month agreement? I want to take a 625 off my account.

ditto for above, there are two ways to get out of the early cancellation fee, ones %110 fool proof and the other is a 50/50 shot and will require an installer to come out to verify the issue.

If you remove ANY leased equipment from your account that is part of a commitment contract before the contract expires it is treated as a downgrade of service/equipment and you will be viewed as a contract breach.

You don't touch leased equipment during commitment periods. Not unless you enjoy large amounts on your bill. The sole exception is receiver exchanges in which case a leased receiver comes off and another goes on. The computers see the exchange so you aren't charged.

Also check to see if the 625 is the primary receiver on your account, if not you may have a 50/50 shot.

If you remove ANY leased equipment from your account that is part of a commitment contract before the contract expires it is treated as a downgrade of service/equipment and you will be viewed as a contract breach.

You don't touch leased equipment during commitment periods. Not unless you enjoy large amounts on your bill. The sole exception is receiver exchanges in which case a leased receiver comes off and another goes on. The computers see the exchange so you aren't charged.

Stated above is absolutely correct. This was explained and confirmed by Dish on a few occasions for other subs. If you want an exception, you will have to appeal to the Executive Offices, but I sincerely doubt that Dish will allow this exception seeing as they get that extra DVR fee during your commitment and being a "new" customer. They want their return on the investment they made in you and don't know what your intentions really are. It doesn't hurt to go ahead and ask for the downgrade. Let us know if they give you a break

Is deactivating a receiver and sending it back to Dish considered breaking the 18 month agreement? I want to take a 625 off my account.

As someone stated, if it is the only receiver then yes it would cancel your account. If it was a dishinitup receiver, then it would violate the diu 18 month commitment. Otherwise you should be fine.

Additionally, let's say you have a 625 and a 322. And you want to send back the 322, we would deactivate the 322 and send you a box. You would send it back without penalty. DirecTV is different. They charge for leased receiver deactivations prior to a certain time limit.

To summarize, if you deactivate a receiver on an account, that is a leased receiver, as long as it is not a dish n it up receiver or any receiver with a commitment, and as long as it is not the only receiver on the account, you can deactivate it without penalty, provided you mail it back within 15 days of deactivation by the prepaid shipping box sent to you.

I have never seen a penalty for deactivating a leased receiver as long as it fell within the above conditions. The only time I saw a penalty was when someone deactivated the receiver, then did not send it back. But I have done it many times before. Customers changed their mind on one receiver, would deactivate it and mail it back but keep their other receiver. If you disable a dvr it eliminates the dvr service fee and potentially a leased receiver fee. The other receivers can eliminate leased receiver fees.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)