Dealers told about m-peg4 up-grade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jerryinvirginia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Good news for the old customer.....Information was passed to E* retailers that all legasy, active account receivers, will be replaced with m-peg4 product starting 5-18. Contact will be made thru auto messages, OTM, postcards and letters. Dealers are asked to direct any customer questions directly to E*. If this is old info, please dis-regard. Otherwise, direct your comments to E*.

So would I( who owns a 2800 and are wanting to upgrade to HD) be better to wait to get upgraded to a 211/612/622 for free? Also my locals will hopefully be available in hd in June should I get upgraded to 61.5 for free? Thanks for all responses! Mike

Starting 5-18? 2008? Today is 5-20 and no one has reported receiving such an offer.

I suspect your dealer was wielding a shovel in your direction. If this had any substance, surely they would have covered it at Team Summit last week. No such reports came out.

AH! The rest of the story.

If it applies to all legacy receivers, it would be massive news. Still, a pretty darn good bit of news for quite a few people.

They are telling dealers to send the customers to them, meaning that dealers will not be doing these upgrades, it will be straight from E*. So now my customers will probly get blessed with a vist from DNS. :mad:Customers will probly be offered a new replacement receiver that best matches theirs for free, but to be able to get the new HD channels they will have to pay for antenna upgrade. Now that is just how I think E* will play out their customers, seeing as though nothing is ever really free with E*.

If it applies to all legacy receivers, it would be massive news.
No kidding! I was about to dust off 4 old receivers and activate them in anticipation. Too bad they're all SD. May still do this shortly so as to get new cards.

No kidding! I was about to dust off 4 old receivers and activate them in anticipation. Too bad they're all SD. May still do this shortly so as to get new cards.

Remember that due to the TiVo injunction, models 501, 508, 510, 721, 921 and 942 receivers cannot be activated (ones that are currently active can stay that way).

Of course, this only applies to old HD models. Probably not very many still in service.

This is great news for several reasons:

- It would allow the "number of HD hours available" listed in the DVR's "My Recordings" screen to be accurate for the first time in years.
- It would allow a half dozen new national HD channels to be added to 110 viewable to all subscribers, due to the bandwidth savings.
- It would significantly increase the picture quality of the most popular HD channels (HBO-HD,SHO-HD,ESPN-HD,TNT-HD,HDNET-HD,HDTHR-HD).

"Remember that due to the TiVo injunction, models 501, 508, 510, 721, 921 and 942 receivers cannot be activated (ones that are currently active can stay that way)."

This is not correct. The 501, 508, and 510 can still be activated.

Remember that due to the TiVo injunction, models 501, 508, 510, 721, 921 and 942 receivers cannot be activated (ones that are currently active can stay that way).

If it's been activated prior to the settlement and you own it, it can be activated again even if not activated now. The settlement pertains to receivers not already owned by a subscriber if I recall correctly. The technical department at E* confirmed the same to me before I decided to deactivate my 721. It's pretty much a dead issue for me as I can't imagine ever re-activating a SD receiver in the future.

Has anyone been contacted yet by Dish about this? I have one 811 I lease, and one 811 I own. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do. If you don't agree to this will they cancel your service?

The post on retailer site instructs the dearler to refer the customer's questions to E*. This up-grade is to be done by E*. No qualifications were announced. If both of your 811's are active, you will be contacted by E* and told what their offer will be. If you would like to post your offer after you are aware of what is being made, I'm sure that others would appreciate it.

im sure someone here will give you more than Dish will for the 811 you own. I know I would, I've heard Dish is offering 10 bucks for the old receiver(at most) to upgrade to a 622

Has anyone been contacted yet by Dish about this? I have one 811 I lease, and one 811 I own. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do. If you don't agree to this will they cancel your service?

They will not cancel your service, but after a certain date, they will convert all HD to Mpeg4, which the 811 will not decode and all you will get then is the SD channels. NO HD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)