Status
Please reply by conversation.

VideoGrabber

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 23, 2004
Kalamazoo
I recently picked up a Fortec FTA DVB receiver to use with a 30" Ku dish, and the S-video output is "shakey" on menus and all. I.e., there's some vertical, but mostly horizontal jitter, which I at first thought might be a timebase instability. Then I realized that the S-video output is located in close proximity to the AC input cord (and the PS & transformer inside). I'm suspecting that the jitter is caused by 60 Hz intrusion into the S-video output, and confirmed that the composite-video out (on the far side) is rock solid (but blurry).

Is this the way all the Ultras are, or did I just get a lemon?

Also, I was thinking about getting a 2nd receiver, but probably wouldn't get another Fortec, because the IR remote codes wouldn't allow for them to be controlled independently. A Pansat 2500 would be a possibility, and the polarity output might be handy if I put one of my C-band dishes back up later. But I understand that the Pansats have a lot of similarity internally to the Fortecs, and wondered if they share remote codes?

As a side note, the front-panel clock on the Fortec is pathetic, losing a full minute a day (and apparently only works in 24-hour mode?). Also, it looks like all the new DVB receivers report signal strength and quality in %age? Unlike my older KBS unit that shows C/N in dB (which I like).

- Tim

Tim, the Pansat 2500A's clock suffers the same problem. Pathetic is a good word for it. :( I was hoping to be able to use the clock since it's the biggest display out of my 6 devices at my a/v "command center"... but as it turns out, I just leave it on (and thus the front panel clock goes away), tuned to The Tube all the time when I'm not watching anything else. :)

Tim
I have a Pansat 1500 and it loses about 3-4 minutes a day...I just left it an hour ahead...so in a week it will be back to the right time :)

also, I just PM'd you back :)

Fortec Ultra

I have not had any issues with my Fortec Ultra. Images are razor sharp and clean. I use a Winegard 30" motorized dish and I can scan all available satellites without a problem. Right now I have my Fortec hooked up to an ILO DVD +rw recorder so I can record some of the shows on AMC 4 (People's Network). BTW, Walmart has these units for $149 :) . RW functions are terrific.

MrM

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Sounds like I did get a lemon and need to swap it out.

Does anyone know if the remote for the Pansat is independent of the one on the Fortec?

- Tim

>Does anyone know if the remote for the Pansat is independent of the one on the Fortec?

The Fortec and the Pansat remotes are programmed differently...one won't work with the other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts