DHA adding/changing equipment?

jrapps

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
I am about to sign up for Dish service under DHA starting off with an 811/522/510 system. Now the way I understand it, this is a lease. Does that mean that at any time in the future I can add, remove, or change boxes? Say they come out with a new HD PVR (I think it's the 942, right?), can I just call them up and say, take away my 811 and give me the new box? I will probably want to get the new 942 box when it comes out, but I don't want to spend $1000 on an HD PVR when i can rent one from my cable compnay for $5 a month.

Also, do I need the $8 a month service plan on the equipment? If it is a lease, they own the equipment, so if they start to malfunction, they should replace the box for me, right? What is the purpose of the service plan?

Thanks,
Jason

So far unfortunately the answer is no. However I have read from people that have been told they can swap out the equipment they get in the first 90 days. So if the 942 comes out in 90 days and it actually is lease-able then it might work, not likely ;)

Under the old plan (DHP) the service plan was included, but now it's not. But hardware is covered for 1 year anyways so their would be no need to add it and keep being billed month to month. Also the install is under warranty for the first 90 days, so no service call charge would be needed for that. So in the first year the only time you'd want to add the service plan, is if you need them to come to your house after the first 90 days to fix something. Then you add the service plan just for that month and you'd pay $29 for service vs. $99

after the 90 days, if they won't fix it for free (no service charge), can't I just call up and cancel the service altogether? There is no one year-contract on my plan.

It seems like they will always have to fix the service at no charge or else they risk losing the account altogether.

Oct.19th DISH started a new DHA-12 plan under the DHA-12 the DHPP is included free but requires a 1 Yr. contract. Yes the DHPP does have value under the lease the equipment is replaced if it fails but after the first 90 days any service calls cost you $99 from DISH Network you also pay shipping on replacement equipment and you get a free DISH Mover with the DHPP.

boba, the free DHPP requires a 2 year contract not a 1 year.

mitch, the 90 days covers free service to your house. Equipment problems are covered for a year. and if you just go with the standard DHA then yes, there is no contract.

BFG said:
boba, the free DHPP requires a 2 year contract not a 1 year.

mitch, the 90 days covers free service to your house. Equipment problems are covered for a year. and if you just go with the standard DHA then yes, there is no contract.
Read the business rules there are three plans DHA, DHA-12 & DHA-24 :)

D'oh, would help if I read the date you say it was added ;)

If that's the case, it's fairly new, which would probably explain why there isn't a lot of literature on it...

So let me see if I understand this...after 90 days, I can't change my HW at all? What if after 3 months I decide I only need TV in 3 rooms, not 4, can't I just drop one of the boxes from my account and send it back to them, or do I have to cancel my entire service? And if 2 months after that, I want to add a box again, they won't let me????

As for the warranty, it seems that I really don't need to add the protection plan until the 1 year point when the HW warranty runs out. Can I call and add it at a later date?

Jason

jrapps said:
So let me see if I understand this...after 90 days, I can't change my HW at all? What if after 3 months I decide I only need TV in 3 rooms, not 4, can't I just drop one of the boxes from my account and send it back to them, or do I have to cancel my entire service? And if 2 months after that, I want to add a box again, they won't let me????

As for the warranty, it seems that I really don't need to add the protection plan until the 1 year point when the HW warranty runs out. Can I call and add it at a later date?

Jason
I would suggest you Email these questions to DISH and keep a printed copy to prove their answer at a later date when they tell you, you can't do something they told you, you could do when they were trying to sell you the system. As far as the warranty, DISH will always own this equipment you are only leasing it. The receiver warranty will never expire because they own it. Anytime you need a technician to come out we'll say because of a signal loss it will cost you $99 unless you have the DHPP, with DHPP it will cost you $29.99. If you have to return the receiver because it died it will cost $14.95 for advanced exchange which will get you a replacement in 2 working days for UPS. You will have to swap cabling and reprogram the new receiver or pay for a technician to come out and do it.

Best bet is to call them. You might even get different answers from different CSR's. I'm sure there would be no problem with adding a box, but changing an existing leased one might be an issue if your contract is not up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)