Did E* Increase Rez/bitrate for CES?

richiephx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I had to clear my vision several times tonight because the quality of all the HD channels seemed to be much clearer, more colorful and almost no motion blurriness. Is it possible that E* boosted resolution and/or bitrate on all the HD channels for the CES? Even VOOM seemed much better. It's been a long time since I have seen such HD quality across all channels. Am I dreaming or did I die?

I had to clear my vision several times tonight because the quality of all the HD channels seemed to be much clearer, more colorful and almost no motion blurriness. Is it possible that E* boosted resolution and/or bitrate on all the HD channels for the CES? Even VOOM seemed much better. It's been a long time since I have seen such HD quality across all channels. Am I dreaming or did I die?

Well would that be anymore deceptive than presenting the Demo channel in better PQ than what they actually sell you?

If they have temporarily improved those channels, something else is probably suffering because of it.

Well, the dream has ended. Today, back to HD as usual. I'm convinced that E* pumped up picture quality last night for a reason, unbeknownst to me. Which just proves that they can provide superior HD picture on ALL channels, given their supposed bandwidth limitation. I wonder who they were trying to impress? I was impressed....for one night at least. Now, back to so-so.

ESPN-HD and ESPN2HD look like complete garbage for the 2 7pm Eastern basketball games tonight.

Last night's 2 games on ESPN-HD actually looked good. Now back to crap!

Who's this hookie person? I am getting blasted at AVSforum for saying how bad these channels look like tonight.

HokieEngineer is our resident guru on the actual bandwidth each HD channel is using.

Hmm I have never had any issues with Dish HD. Its always look good to me there has been times on ESPN HD Channels don't look as good. But most time that is on their end but overall I think Dish HD has always been good.

Are there HD channels that are on different satellites like 61.5 vs 148 that would make a difference? Which satellite is the HD stations people are mentioning? Could it also be that the sun is recharging the batteries of the satellite making the satellite work better ha haha but then you have days like that often and I never seen posts that said HD looked better than other times before. Must of been the CES facid.

I am suprised how bad ESPN2-HD was tonight, it's on it's own TP on 61.5 correct? Man it sucks the bag!

People at AVS say it looks fine on Comcast. I think Dish sucks the bag?

i agree with Poke...i have had the HD package with Dish for almost 2 months now, and I've been consistently impressed with the quality of games on ESPN and ESPN2, and i am ALWAYS amazed at Discovery...all of the other HD content looks marvelous, too, so far.

very strange.