Did i purchase a bad birdog?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jerzstyle00

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
dallas,tx
I recently purchased a 'BirDog' sat finder and put to the test yesturday but did not have sucess. I was able to update the birdog with a new file of sats but was unable to find 97W using it. Here's how I tried using it:
-I aimed for 97 west uding my stb able to get 80 quality.
-I then removed the coax from reciever and connected to the input of birdog,turned on meter,and selected 97 west H/V but the birdog kept 'searching'.

Am I using the device incorrectly? Am i supposed to inser a coax to the out of birdog going to the reciever maybe?
Thanks for the help on this.

Are you using a standard or universal type LNBF?

Changing the BER setting in the setup menu to LOG will make the meter more sensitive for FSS aiming.

I've found that you can get a lock on a horizontal transponder and not the vertical and vice-versa. For example, I can get locks on AMC1 and Anik F1 but not AMC18 but I do receive SyFy off of AMC18. It's possible that you're looking for a non-present transponder on 97W but I believe that the birdog allows manual entry of transponders. You can always try to get a lock on other sats. The Birdog has a feature where it'll check to see if you have a good cable and LNBF, also. But, if you see the signal level changing while panning the dish your Birdog is probably OK.

Are you using a standard or universal type LNBF?

Changing the BER setting in the setup menu to LOG will make the meter more sensitive for FSS aiming.

Im using a universal LNB and here are my settings on the birdog.I just changed the BER from Linear to LOG.The RF setting is set to Linear instead of DBuv.Is there a setting I need to change since im using a universal LNB instead of a standard? I will try aiming again later using these new settings and post back with results

Last edited:
Im using a universal LNB and here are my settings on the birdog.I just changed the BER from Linear to LOG.The RF setting is set to Linear instead of DBuv.Is there a setting I need to change since im using a universal LNB instead of a standard? I will try aiming again later using these new settings and post back with results

Make sure that the BirDog data set that you have loaded is for Universal type LNBFs (LO 9750 /10600) and not set for Standard type LNBFs (LO 10750).

you could enter a custom transponder keeping in mind your LNB is universal (use LO 10600 with the 22khz tone icon). preferably use the same TP you use to lock the 80 Q on your stb. also the birdog has a Spectrum Analizer feature and you should see the peaks of the different signals.

One time only , mine behaved like that despite having good signals at the receiver. I had to reset the birdog to factory defaults althought do not remember now how I did it.

mine will not lock many horizontal transponders, but works great for vertical.
if i was to venture a guess, i would figure that it has a hard time supplying a steady 18 volts to the lnb for horizontal and has an easier time with 13v for vertical.

Im using a universal LNB

no offense but using a universal LNB in north america causes more problems with unexperienced installers than its worth....universal LNBs are really only needed for overseas....

unless you REALLY know what your doing with that LNB and you know how to switch between the high and low bands, then i would suggest you buy a standard linear LNB it will save yourself alot of hassles and wasted time....

universal LNBs can switch between bands with the LNB frequency, or sometimes using the 22khz setting....as i said unless you really know what your doing just buy a standard linear LNB with RF 11.7-12.2 it will save you alot of wasted time....well worth the money....

rv1pop said:
Groan comming up --- German shepherds do not work good as a "Bird-Dog"! You need a LAB...

Sorry!, pop

Lol I restrained myself from asking...

Did you rub your 'birdog's' nose in it and sternly say "bad dog!"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)