Did you get a free Roku offer?

Free Roku

• Yes

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 215 52.4%

• Total voters
Just catching up today and read through this thread. Called Dish and just simply stated that I was calling about the free Roku box being offered to customers that lost AMC programming. The first CSR verified my account info and then transferred me over to Loyalty. The Loyalty CSR asked if I was wanting a Roku box and I said yes, he verified my address and said that the order had been put in. That was pretty much it. I didn't push for credits or anything, was simply satisfied to get a new electronic toy. We'll see how long it takes for delivery. I am an America's Everything Pak subscriber with all of the premium channels except BB.

Got my Roku Saturday. I had a hell of a time getting connected to my router. I have a Asus RT-N10

ASUS - Networks- ASUS RT-N10

I never could get it connected. Sometimes it would others it wouldn't. I could never get far enough to fully download the update from Roku. I tried several different DNS servers which seemed to be the main problem people had when they couldn't connect. Finally I just put my phone in hotspot mode, activated the unit, downloaded the update, and I could connect fine after that to my Asus. Just posting if anyone else has an issue.

I did the chat a week ago today in the morning. Still have not got it but the mail has not come yet today. I think today should be the latest I should have to wait.

ROKU just arrived in the mail. It has the b-stock sticker underneath and no ethernet connection (XD 2 model:3050x). It came from a Distribution Center in Scotts Valley, CA.

Looks new and will play with it this evening.

ROKU just arrived in the mail. It has the b-stock sticker underneath and no ethernet connection (XD 2 model:3050x). It came from a Distribution Center in Scotts Valley, CA.

Looks new and will play with it this evening.

Messed around with mine over the weekend, enjoy!

Android does have an offical Roku app. It works through the Router, so your Android has to be connected via Wifi on the same network the Roku is, so you don't have to point it. It does not work using IR just Wifi. It will find any Roku on the network.
And I just got this app for my Droid & it works really good!

No it doesn't. Pandora uses the activation code method, like most Roku channels.

OTOH, Netflix requires account login to be entered into the Roku, which is a pain. It used to use the activation code method, once upon a time, as well.

People could kinda..uh..cheat and authorize people that were not in their state much less a different bedroom, lol
Smart move to make it how it is now as before so many abused the code method

I got mine today and set it up

But thanks DISH for the free roku

Just received a survey call from dish, asking me about 10 questions regarding the roku/amc issue, what shows I watch on amc, satisfied with credits I received and likely hood that I am staying with dish I am guessing other folks will be getting the survey call as well

Last edited:
I just now called in to Dish and got the offer from retentions. I opted not to get the $35 credit applied immediately, so they have it noted on my account that I get it whenever I call in and request it. My Roku box should arrive in 3 to 5 business days.

Dish hasn't offered me a Roku but I already have one.

I now seldom watch any movies I have recorded on my EHD. Easier to go to Netflix or Amazon Prime to get all the older movies and TV series you want. Easier to find something there than click through several hundred titles on the EHD.

Also if you want something newer Amazon is the place to go. PPV movies are cheaper from them than from Dish.

Watch most of my news on the Roku (Euro News, BBC, Al Jazeer, etc.) Dish World coming to the Roku has forced the streaming versions of a lot of foreign channels including Euro News off Roku.

Picture quality from streaming using the Roku is good to very good, but isn't truly HD. If you can't stand to watch something in SD on Dish, streaming on the Roku is going to irritate you.

To avoid as many picture quality issues as possible connect using Ethernet cables. WiFi works well for lots of people, but for those that lack networking skills or whose TV is to far from their AP the WiFi problems lead to massive frustration.

Enjoy!

Wifey says it arrived today, and asked "Don't we have to be Dish subscribers??"

Nope...they sent it on faith that I'd keep my installation for this Thursday. And I will!

Have you received your Roku (if you were offered one)?

Hello. I was offered the free Roku offer through Dish and while they say they can see the order, they cannot provide any type of tracking information because it is being handled by an outside vendor.

Has anyone already received their new Roku?

Dish hasn't offered me a Roku but I already have one.

I now seldom watch any movies I have recorded on my EHD. Easier to go to Netflix or Amazon Prime to get all the older movies and TV series you want. Easier to find something there than click through several hundred titles on the EHD.

Also if you want something newer Amazon is the place to go. PPV movies are cheaper from them than from Dish.

Watch most of my news on the Roku (Euro News, BBC, Al Jazeer, etc.) Dish World coming to the Roku has forced the streaming versions of a lot of foreign channels including Euro News off Roku.

Picture quality from streaming using the Roku is good to very good, but isn't truly HD. If you can't stand to watch something in SD on Dish, streaming on the Roku is going to irritate you.

To avoid as many picture quality issues as possible connect using Ethernet cables. WiFi works well for lots of people, but for those that lack networking skills or whose TV is to far from their AP the WiFi problems lead to massive frustration.

Enjoy!

I have to disagree with the picture quality.Currently connected via composite cable as all the hdmi slots are already taken.Got an hdmi selector on the way to solve that issue.Anyway,on a 6mb connection and composite cables the picture quality is very good.The sd quality is much better than on Dish.Watched an episode of Movin On (Claude Akins) from the 70's and it wasn't bad at all.Briefly checked out a couple of movies from Crackle and besides the letterbox format the picture quality was very good.

We received the Roku Saturday via usps.There were no emails,no tracking,no phone calls etc.It just showed up.

hehehe I see someone merged the threads.Thats probably a good idea.

Last edited:
People could kinda..uh..cheat and authorize people that were not in their state much less a different bedroom, lol
Smart move to make it how it is now as before so many abused the code method
I have no idea what you wrote there. But, if you are saying that entering your login info into the Roku is more secure for Netflix than using the activation code method, you are wrong.

Enjoy!
You must have one crappy broadband connection, and a pretty sketchy wi-fi router.

I've been using Rokus for years, and the PQ is awesome. Shockingly awesome, especially from such a little box. I have always used with wi-fi (the 1st gen was "G", btw, not even "N"), and I am currently viewing the new Roku 2 XD on a 60" plasma (previously on 50", and 42"), so I think I'd notice any anomalies in PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)