Did you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that is damned impressive. And frightening. I wonder if terrorism, war, or religious extremism will slow it down?

Why so scary?

Humans evolve, we have since the beginning of our time. WE can chose to make our evolution good. As humans we have to wise up, start teaching our kids, start taking care of the planet, and most important, learn to get along with each other. None of this will come true if we end up killing ourselves. It is 2007, it is time to put our differences behind us, and start working together.

So what if the Chinese out number us, so what if others are smarter than our average. That is right now, we have to face that, and do our best to advance the human race, not what political, religious, or what country we happen to live in.

We need to switch gears from what's wrong with the rest of the world, and start thinking about how we can make our lives, and the lives of others, better. Polution, our dependence on oil (from any country), our education system, etc...

Technologogy will advance, that just shows what humans are capable of.

I don't see scary, I see the future.

I have seen that before. Most of it is right on the money.

Impressive. Not that long ago, a person could know all the knowledge there was in the world. And because of communications limitations the same knowledge kept being "discovered" over and over. If you just watch this, you know that there is no way to know all the knowledge discovered yesterday. But, those who need and can use specific knowledge now have access to it, and can build on it. Very exciting times. I talk with people who are approaching 100 years of age, and it is interesting to ask them about the changes they have seen take place. More change than the rest of human history put together.

But one thing it does show that regardless of where your born and your education that humans will soon be obsolete and computers will be the top of the food chain so to speak. I think it was just five years or so ago that they were predicting that it would be another one hundred plus years before we got computes close enough to actual human processing ability. To think that in just a few decades that the value of our ability to process information will be worth nothing more than $1,000 is a bit unsettling yet I bet that full size suv's will still get less than 25 miles to the gallon.

But...while the $1000 computer might have computational capacities that exceed that of a human, or a human race, will it be able to "compute" things that really matter, like love?

At 62, I'm not sure if I should be depressed or excited. Looks like Newington schools will have their hands full.

I'm new to this site and what got me here was your initial review of UVERSE. Even so, I finally signed up the other day and I'm kind of waffling about it being the right thing to do. Picture quality (non-HD) is not as good as COX cable (Uverse seems to break up a lot) and there's this strange noise, somewhere between a chirp and a screech, that seem so emanate from the receivers, every so often.

So, did you keep it or drop it?

Oh, and the guy that set up this site? If you know him, thank him for the spell check.

But...while the $1000 computer might have computational capacities that exceed that of a human, or a human race, will it be able to "compute" things that really matter, like love?
Well if what was talked about six or eight years ago then yes, I wish I could remember where I had read or listened to the article at but the human concept of love was supposedly deciphered down to numbers and symmetry but would it be a good idea to code in emotion to something that can think faster and probably be smarter then us is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)