Differences in Ku/LNB/Birds

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SomeRandomIdiot

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 8, 2009
USA
I know the difference in linear and circular.

I have no issue getting linear slots from 111W to 89W to come in with a very strong signal and quality.

However, below 89W, starting at 87W, I don't get a lock or sign of life on anything linear.

I can throw a circular lnb on and lock on 61W, 72.7W and 77W so I know I am on the arc.

So after many hours of frustration, what am I missing?

What is it about the Ku Birds/LNBs lower than 89W that I can't get a sign of life on them as i am out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Is the LNBF rotation (skew) being adjusted for each satellite when using a linear LNBF?

http://www.GeoSatFinder.com will provide the amount of skew for each orbital slot from your location. Standing in front of the dish looking at the back of the LNBF and into the reflector, twisting the LNBF counter-clockwise (left) is a positive skew and clockwise (right) is a negative skew.

Are you on an active transponder for the selected satellite? Check "The List" on this forum for a list of active frequencies.

Linear FSS satellites are low power and the polarity makes them more of a challenge to receive.

Is the LNBF rotation (skew) being adjusted for each satellite when using a linear LNBF?

http://www.GeoSatFinder.com will provide the amount of skew for each orbital slot from your location. Standing in front of the dish looking at the back of the LNBF and into the reflector, twisting the LNBF counter-clockwise (left) is a positive skew and clockwise (right) is a negative skew.

Are you on an active transponder for the selected satellite? Check "The List" on this forum for a list of active frequencies.

Linear FSS satellites are low power and the polarity makes them more of a challenge to receive.

Yes, polarity has been fiddled with to no end.....I just get nothing below 89W (unless circular) for some odd reason and I am sure there has to be a reasonable explanation that has just escaped me for some reason.:confused:

It sounds like your mast may be tilting a little. Check with a level all the way around it. On a 10" level a little off is a huge difference. Use a big level if you can.

Also make sure your skew is set correctly on your southernmost satellite.

for example:

If you live at 89W longitude your skew should be nothing when pointing at 89.0w Galaxy28

to make sure your elevation is set right:

set your dish without the motor to your southernmost satellite.

Take a dial inclinometer (dial level) and read the angle the lnb arm is at.

Set the elevation for your motor according to your latitude.

Mount the dish and motor.

Move the motor to "0" degrees East or West.

Put the dial inclinometer (dial level) back on the lnb arm and adjust only the dish's elevation to the angle you marked down before.

The u-clamps that hold the motor should be a little loose.

Twist the entire assembly by gripping only the motor.

Aim everything at due South (true 90). Hopefully this is very close to your southernmost satellite. Tighten the motor clamps and zero the dishes elevation when it's peak signal.

If you don't set this way as you travel further East or West you will either lose the correct elevation and azimuth or you skew will get worse.

If you don't know where that is, at 1PM daylight savings time or 12PM standard time, the sun will be due South

It sounds like your mast may be tilting a little. Check with a level all the way around it. On a 10" level a little off is a huge difference. Use a big level if you can.

I agree with you and this was my first thought - except that I track fine 89W+ and 89W has a rock solid signal and Quality.

Also remember that if I replace the Linear LNB with Circular LNB, that 77W, 72.7W and 61.5W come in rock solid as well, thus, I don't think its the tilt as I am on the arc from 61.5W up to 125W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)