Digiatal Optical cable go bad?

DucTape

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 20, 2005
South Eastern PA.
Wasn't sure where to put this but I was wondering if anyone else has had a digital optical cable go bad and do they just go out of the blue?

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
I've got 3 in use, never had one go bad. Not a lot there to go wrong, maybe a kink or pinch?

NightRyder

cdru

Just another yahoo
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Fort Wayne, Indiana
They don't go bad just sitting there. Something either would have to nick the cable, or break it. Bending it or pinching it can cause it to break.

DucTape

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 20, 2005
South Eastern PA.
That's what I thought as well, now I do have a couple bends in them but they are secured and nothing moved not even a mouse. Perhaps the small bends I do have may have ruptured.

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
If the connector comes in contact with some dust or fine debris, it can literally clog the connection. Along with bend radius issues as eluded above, these cables are more sensitive to dirt on the ends than copper connections.

BTW, DucTape, I like your signature. I hadn't seen/heard that quote before. I like it, "transmission of sight". :)

DucTape

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 20, 2005
South Eastern PA.
Thanks Tuxcoder it was from Hoover when I believe the first transmission on TV from NY to CA occurred.

Must be the bends I do have, they are maybe to small of a radius, 1.5 inch, and are secured so it is possible the one has broken under stress so I will be letting the other ones loose now.

Thanks all for the help as I never had any trouble with DO lines and didn't have a clue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)