digital to analog converter boxes?!?...

My point is - these boxes sure would be more useful if they did have Clear QAM, so that I could also use cable as an alternative to an antenna.
You don't need clear QAM to pick up the channels that a converter will tune. The entire point is to provide OTA support to those who have no other means. At this point, clear QAM brings only HD local support which is outside the scope of a lifeline SDTV project. In many cases, unless you subscribe to basic cable ($40-60/month), the clear QAM channels are tanked out.

The idea is not to build a dependency on these converters. Further, it is not designed to add life to your outdated television (or one that you bought at clearance for a "real sweet deal"). If you want to keep using it, just buy a box that does what you want. I'm guessing that there will be a market for outboard digital tuners like there is now that just aren't coupon compliant.

Clear QAM isn't just for HD. There a few channels in my area are SD in clear QAM. One even promotes this on their website.

I thought you could only qualify for the coupon if you don't have any type of services except OTA.

We have been through that in other threads. Too hard to police. here is the text of the final rule:

Starting Jan. 1, 2008, all U.S. households will be eligible to request up to two $40 coupons to be used toward the purchase of up to two, digital-to-analog converter boxes, while the initial $990 million allocated for the program is available.

"If the initial funds are used up, the Act permits funding to increase by $510 million, upon certification to Congress that the initial allocated amount is insufficient to fulfill coupon requests. If the additional funds are needed, eligibility for those coupons will be limited exclusively to over-the-air-only television households. Consumers requesting coupons from these contingent funds must self-certify to NTIA that they do not subscribe to cable, satellite or other pay television services. This program is structured to monitor demand to help ensure that over-the-air reliant households will not lose total access to television broadcasts after the Feb. 17, 2009, transition date. "

National Telecommunications & Information Administration

Good, the links for info in the beginning of the thread said. 1.5 for the program, someone point that if about 10% of household use this coupon that will make, 1.2b, however, the coupons will be limited to about 36 million to begin with, in the end, If you or someone you know need this coupons, please apply for them. I applied for two. I do have cable, yet when the contract expired on the summer will dump it, and choose Other service, In the mean time I want to see what my locals can offer now, in hd, I know is SD, but this mean eventuallly better than regular tv signal. Additional, my mother in law see OTA Locals so, one coupon will eventually be for her, and the other for myself, when needed.

Me thinks there's some business opportunities coming in Feb 2009 when those analog transmitters are turned off.

Actually, it's expected most of them will begin transmitting the digital signal, and the smaller digital transmitters used today will be the ones turned off.

Still, an opportunity, like you said.

We have been through that in other threads. Too hard to police. here is the text of the final rule:

Starting Jan. 1, 2008, all U.S. households will be eligible to request up to two $40 coupons to be used toward the purchase of up to two, digital-to-analog converter boxes, while the initial $990 million allocated for the program is available.

"If the initial funds are used up, the Act permits funding to increase by $510 million, upon certification to Congress that the initial allocated amount is insufficient to fulfill coupon requests. If the additional funds are needed, eligibility for those coupons will be limited exclusively to over-the-air-only television households. Consumers requesting coupons from these contingent funds must self-certify to NTIA that they do not subscribe to cable, satellite or other pay television services. This program is structured to monitor demand to help ensure that over-the-air reliant households will not lose total access to television broadcasts after the Feb. 17, 2009, transition date. "

National Telecommunications & Information Administration

Additionally, this is from the NTIA/Department of Commerce "Final Rule" which talks about household eligibility:

"7. NTIA recognizes that limiting eligibility as proposed in the NPRM would be difficult to enforce. There are no lists of households that only receive over-the-air television broadcasts. Moreover, as the Government Accountability Office (GAO) recognized, it would be a highly challenging task to obtain a list of cable and satellite subscribers in order to identify over-the-air-reliant homes by the process of elimination. [ 21 ] In fact, it would be difficult for NTIA to determine which U.S. households currently have, or plan to obtain, an analog television set requiring a CECB. Moreover, efforts to confirm eligibility would likely delay reasonable and timely distribution of coupons. [ 22 ] Unless NTIA devoted substantial resources to review applicants’ certifications of eligibility, there would be potential for waste, fraud and abuse. [ 23 ] Such efforts could also substantially increase the costs of administering the program."

Be nice if the boxes had s-video out, but coax out should do I guess. If they had s-video out, that'd probably mean you have some sort of digital tv or something...
Coax-out will work for literally 100% of the TVs out there. I guess there could be some really, really old sets that only have two-wire terminal connections but you can "adapt" for that.

S-Video by no means implies digital.

Remember, these boxes are intended for *basic* TV viewing hence why they have limited connection options. Adding composite or S-Video just adds $$$.

Yep. I have a 13" with a cracked case bought in 1979 that still works fine, but only has 300 ohm ribbon cable inputs for VHF and UHF. It has a built in VHF antenna that connects to the lugs if you don't connect an external. But there are adapters. I used one for years with an RCA COSMAC VIP computer. Sears label, built by Hitachi. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it. ;)

I'm having a hard time coming to grips with parting with it, but this is the year I must. That, and a 19" model. Before they start charging to haul off CRTs around here, as is already done in some places. That will bring me down to 27" and 36" CRT TVs- and, of course, my 61" RPTV. Maybe I'd better say goodbye to the 27 incher too.

Point is, many of us will have to decide to fool with getting converters (I already have a great one) or move on to new or fewer TVs. I figure Xmas 2008 & into 2009 will be bad times to buy a new TV. Demand will probably keep prices high. Even considering most people won't even notice the conversion (exclusive cable/satellite users). But since it looks like these cheapo converters won't be commonly available in stores until April, there's time to think things over.

A motor home has a control box that allows you to switch from cable to antenea or vcr. I have two tv's in my motor home and a vcr. How many converter boxes will I need? One before the control box or one for each tv and vcr?

A motor home has a control box that allows you to switch from cable to antenea or vcr. I have two tv's in my motor home and a vcr. How many converter boxes will I need? One before the control box or one for each tv and vcr?

One for each spot. Basically look at it as a satellite box except the signals are from ground based transmitters. You hook it up to your TV and change channels on the box, not the TV.

Dose anyone know what converter boxes will support S-Video. Seems to be not that important.
It will come down to cost. At least an S-Video output is allowed and the inclusion doesn't disqualify the box for the coupon offer.
Item 53: NTIA will also permit a S-video output which provides a better standard definition picture using a simple and inexpensive hookup with one cable.

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)