Diplexing Internet & Dish Signal

Quantum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
OR
I've tried diplexing internet and Dish's sat signal, and occasionally it works, but often not, and at least once it actually damaged the internet modem.

I suspect there are certain carriers who use a digital signal, which is incompatible, and others who use analog which is.

Can anyone explain what is going on here, and how to determine what is OK?

I've tried diplexing internet and Dish's sat signal, and occasionally it works, but often not, and at least once it actually damaged the internet modem.

I suspect there are certain carriers who use a digital signal, which is incompatible, and others who use analog which is.

You need to explain what receiver you are using and your setup and how you are trying to do what you are doing???.:confused:

Why? It doesn't matter. The Dish signal is the Dish signal, no matter what receiver or system setup.

The sat communication is the same. Don't you know that?

Different amounts of voltage travel through the line depending on the receiver. That's why be was asking which receiver. I can always get it to work on a 311 but never luck on dual tuners.

Doesn't make sense. The LNB is controlled by 13 & 18 volts and some digital signalling, no matter what receiver. I don't understand how it would be different for a 311?

Quantum said:

Your best bet is to run a second coax for the internet. Or you could put the modem where there is no TV signal and run CAT5/6 to the room the modem is now.

Of course this is what I've always done.

But I want to understand what's going on technically.

Quantum said:

You are correct. On my service, the Internet occupies what would be channel 69 on the analog tier. I can diplex it and I did for a few days to see if it worked, but it was just for fun.

Most cable companies are eliminating analog space and going all digital. I don't think diplexing works consistently, if at all on those systems.

A dedicated cable for everything is always the best choice.

How do you determine whose is an analog service? Is there a way to tell by looking at the modem?

Quantum said:
How do you determine whose is an analog service? Is there a way to tell by looking at the modem?

He is talking about Cable TV, Not internet. Cable Internet takes up Channel 69 on the Cable TV spectrum. Since Cable Providers are taking their systems digital it would make it harder, if not impossible to Diplex with a Dish signal. Who is your cable provider and what city are you in?

Portland. We have variously Broadstripe, Comcast, Charter, and some other one I can't remember, depending on the geo area.

wow, look on ebay and get holland 2amp diplexers, there blue, if they dont work run the 2nd line
shop around you can find them for $2 each

dupont, we know. But be advised they will DAMAGE a digital cablemodem.

I am trying to find out how to identify when we can/not use them.

Rationalizing is far and away the worst approach to a problem like this. The best approach is, as isaacmorseMI suggests, is to run more coax (or put your modem at the CATV entrance and run an Ethernet cable to your router).

Whoever spread the rumor that cable modem traffic must be on channel 69 (495MHz) didn't know jack about DOCSIS. DOCSIS 3.0 is set up for upstream frequencies to 85MHz and downstream frequencies to 1GHz. Cable TV (and by extension, cable modem) is a constantly moving target.

Modern cable TV splatters signals across the entire band and up into the satellite spectrum. The idea that there is a difference in interference between digital and analog is silly. A channel band is a channel band regardless of what it is carrying.

The diplexer will filter out the bandwidth that interferes with satellite. If you buy the right kind, it will also keep DC off of the OTA side. The problem most likely lies in assuming that you know where the frequency boundaries are.

The point is not what you think you can get away with but rather what works the first time and every time. If you've tried it and it doesn't work, maybe it is because you aren't contemplating the full range of the variables.

Quantum said:
dupont, we know. But be advised they will DAMAGE a digital cablemodem.

I am trying to find out how to identify when we can/not use them.

Look Quantam, We are not experts at diplexing internet and Dish. We are trying to understand the situation just as much as you. So enough of the smart mouthing. It dosen't get you anyware.

Now see; this is why the internet is no longer any fun. So many just come here to dump on people. Trying to pump themselves up by putting others down. Sick.

harshness, that's all very nice. (Although what are you talking about 'rationalizing'? You do not seem to know what that word means)

The mention of DOCSYS was helpful as it allowed me to research this, although your belief that frequencies are "a constantly moving target" is wrong. You seem to think this is spread-spectrum like wifi, but it is not. It is wideband, as is satellite. This accounts for how cable has gotten increasingly faster up/download speeds over the past few years. Apparently 120mbps download/30mbps upload service has been announced for Quebec City.

So the answer is that digital internet simply can not be diplexed with sat, as they occupy the same lower freq spectrum (0-1GHz). Although in the case of sat it also uses 1-2GHz for stacking tuner 2, that's not relevant here (yet). With sat freq use, accommodation is made for analog cable channels to share bandwidth allowing diplexing TV2, but the rest of the spectrum is used for video and cannot be shared with today's digital internet.

Are you prepared to move to an area where you think you can make this work?
What a childish question. All along I have simply been trying to understand how this works. Your mention of one word made this possible, and for that I'm grateful, but keep your trash to yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts