Diplexing VIP622 TV2 output w/OTA output

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Its not elaborate and actually quite cheap at $45. You will pay at least $25 for a powered splitter.

http://www.starlink-dss.com/SHN24.htm

I am combining my OTA and the TV2 out (ch 66) from one of my 622s. I use it for capturing video on my computer in another room and feeding the TV in front of the treadmill. I was just using splitter/combiners, but when I hooked up the SHN, my signal strengths on my OTAs increased 6-10 points.

Here's the manual: http://www.dishretailer.com/dishstore/homenode.pdf

I was just wondering if using the split/comb merging the OTA cable and the 622 TV2 out cable and attaching that one cable to the tv would do the same thing. What would the TV set do with that? Do you know?

It might work. But much depends on finding the right channel for the 622 output. I also think that the simple splitter would give you a certain amount of signal loss. Also this allows you to power multiple TVs---albeit with the same 622 channels going to each.

The good news though is that you can try it and see if it works. If it does great. If it does not try this.

FWIW I just tried the splitter idea with cable and OTA. in my case it worked reasonably well with OTA tough I did lose some signal and that happened to causea problem with one channel. But that might not be the case for others.

With cable the signal was just too degraded. But I suspect that almost no one wnats to do that. It was just easy to try.

Thanks to all for your responses. I will give the splitter a try first since I already have one and if that doesn't work I will try the other.

i bought a Super Home Node for just this purpose. It works beautifully.

The Home Node looks interesting. I guess the same thing could be done with an RF combiner and a single input RF amplifier but the packaging of these 2 components into 1 is pretty cool. Do you know of similar products out there from different manufacturers?

Also, I would like my to send the antenna signal through the RF modulator input down to my satellite receiver so it can pick up my antenna signals as well. It doesn't appear as though there is a pass-though from antenna input to RF modulator input. I guess I will have to combine an amplified TV output from the Home Node with the incoming modulator line. That's kind of strange because I will be amplifying and echoing the same modulated channel back upstream towards the source. Does anyone know whether this will be problematic?

The Home Node looks interesting. I guess the same thing could be done with an RF combiner and a single input RF amplifier but the packaging of these 2 components into 1 is pretty cool. Do you know of similar products out there from different manufacturers?

Also, I would like my to send the antenna signal through the RF modulator input down to my satellite receiver so it can pick up my antenna signals as well. It doesn't appear as though there is a pass-though from antenna input to RF modulator input. I guess I will have to combine an amplified TV output from the Home Node with the incoming modulator line. That's kind of strange because I will be amplifying and echoing the same modulated channel back upstream towards the source. Does anyone know whether this will be problematic?

i am not sure what you are asking. Are you trying to send signal in both directions at once?

Help with Super Home Node wiring

i am not sure what you are asking. Are you trying to send signal in both directions at once?

Yes - here is an easier to understand explanation. I included the text but for the diagrams you will need to refer to the attached document.

I have a satellite receiver (VIP 622 to be exact) that accepts OTA antenna input and also modulates and broadcasts a channel to a second TV. I only have one coaxial cable going to my receiver so I have to combine all frequencies onto this one cable. My goal is to receive antenna input at all TVs and my receiver and modulate a channel to all TVs as well. With that in mind here is my first though of a solution.

figure 1.

Now this would distribute the antenna to the entire house and it would distribute the TV2 signal to the rest of the home as well. The obvious problem is that my receiver is going to get a really crummy antenna signal because it is not amplified by the Home Node. Ideally I would receive an amplified signal at the receiver as well, but to accomplish this I have to do this

figure 2

Now I am getting an amplified antenna signal at the receiver but I have also created a loop where the TV2 output is amplified and sent back to the receiver. So I am echoing the signal back to the source. Would this cause weird feedback loops or interference? What are the consequences of this? Would inserting an RF filter help?

Attachments

• SuperHomeNodeDiagram.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 133
Thanks to all for your responses. I will give the splitter a try first since I already have one and if that doesn't work I will try the other.

FWIW I hooked my TV up last night with the split/comb merging my TV2 out and the OTA in and I'm able to pick up everything as good or better than on TV1 which gets the OTA as well as the sat through the 622. As a matter of fact I get several HDTV stations that TV1 doesn't get through the 622. I know this is apparently a problem with the 622 as I have seen other posts where people get stations with direct OTA connections to the TV that they lose going through the 622. If anyone has any knowledge on this problem please let me know. I will also post on the VIP-622 thread. Thanks!

Its not elaborate and actually quite cheap at $45. You will pay at least $25 for a powered splitter.

http://www.starlink-dss.com/SHN24.htm

I am combining my OTA and the TV2 out (ch 66) from one of my 622s. I use it for capturing video on my computer in another room and feeding the TV in front of the treadmill. I was just using splitter/combiners, but when I hooked up the SHN, my signal strengths on my OTAs increased 6-10 points.

Here's the manual: http://www.dishretailer.com/dishstore/homenode.pdf

This was the ultimate solution. It now works beautifully and no hassles needing to use a switch. Thanks for the suggestion Steven D.

-leegart-

No filter or A&B required if OTA has Preamp

If there is a preamp on the OTA like in Don's drawing (I assume MOTO is a preamp) then transmitting OTA would not be an issue since preamps are a 1-way device.

Interesting diagram Don_S.

If there is a preamp on the OTA like in Don's drawing (I assume MOTO is a preamp) then transmitting OTA would not be an issue since preamps are a 1-way device.

Interesting diagram Don_S.

If it is the Motorola amp I'm thinking if, it is capable of handling two way feeds because it is designed to assist with cable modems...so I don't know as it would necessarily prevent the feed from running back up to the antenna...

Which Motorola AMP?

If it is the Motorola amp I'm thinking if, it is capable of handling two way feeds because it is designed to assist with cable modems...so I don't know as it would necessarily prevent the feed from running back up to the antenna...

I guess we won't know if Don_S does not clarify.

Perhaps you can provide a link to the Motorola amp you are referring to as I note that the popular 2-way Motorola CATV 484095-001-00 Signal Booster has 15 db gain (downstream only) vice the 25 db indicated in the diagram.

Yes, the "moto" is the Motorola Signal Booster - Broadband drop amp (484095-001-00) for cable modem signal boosting. I had one lying around and decided to try it just for the heck of it and noticed a significant improvement in OTA signal levels. The other (25db) amplifier is a Skywalker UHF/VHF/FM distribution amplifier that I use to boost the TV2 backfeed signal. Works great.. without it, the PQ on TV2 is crappy.

Stupid Questions - Super Home Node

I assume by combing the TV2 signal (non-HD) and the OTA signal that you will only pull non-HD channels from the OTA...correct? How do the OTA channels integrate with the satellite guide on TV2 or do they?

I have two HD tvs and one Dish 942. I have 2 separate OTA tuners (indoor) that work just fine to pull all my local HD channels. I have one OTA going directly into the 942 and would like to figure out a way to watch HD channels (using 1st OTA plugged into 942 or 2nd OTA) using super home node or something else in addition to the satellite channels coming from TV2. Any suggestions???

I do not subscribe to DISH HD so all I want is to watch HD locals on each TV in addition to the satellite programming.

Thoughts??

Thanks

unislick

Do you already have the TV2 signal at your second tv?

If not then you will either need to connect a separate line from your 942 TV2 output to the second tv, or use 2 diplexers to combine and de-combine the TV2 signal and send it to the second TV.

Once you have the TV2 signal cable at your second tv, then a simple RF splitter/combiner with the OTA antenna cable will do the trick - however:
- The OTA channels will be in HD but will not be integrated into your satellite guide. In fact they will be on a separate television channels from your satellite.
- Make sure your 942 is configured to output TV2 on a UHF channel instead of a CATV channel and make sure that this channel number does not conflict with any local channels that you are receiving through the antenna