Direct ethernet connection to HR44

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why would they not recommend that? I thought that you could use the Genie receiver as the starting point for a DECA whole home set up with an Ethernet cable directly hooked up to it in place of a DECA adapter hooked up to your router(or connect to your router wirelessly). Maybe if your HR-44 was in a different room than your.....

I just rewired my setup to use the ethernet connection of HR44 and eliminated the DECA . It works just as fine and simplifies the connection . Now I don't get that warning "ethernet not connected" in the systems status .
I didn't even have to redo the connection it came right up using the same IP previously obtained with the DECA.

Why would they not recommend that? I thought that you could use the Genie receiver as the starting point for a DECA whole home set up with an Ethernet cable directly hooked up to it in place of a DECA adapter hooked up to your router(or connect to your router wirelessly). Maybe if your HR-44 was in a different room than your.....

We don't recommend it because it disables the internal deca in the ird. And if you have other irds in the house that use tuners they will not properly communicate with the rest of the network. Also if you run a system test you will now get error 77 stating the ird is connected to ethernet which may lead to 48 or 47 errors.

Bottom line this is not how directv intends the system to work.

We don't recommend it because it disables the internal deca in the ird. And if you have other irds in the house that use tuners they will not properly communicate with the rest of the network. Also if you run a system test you will now get error 77 stating the ird is connected to ethernet which may lead to 48 or 47 errors.

Bottom line this is not how directv intends the system to work.
I was wondering because originally they said you could,the Genie being the "Home Media Center(did I get that right?)." Although I guess that's alright if you only have 1 Genie & all clients,but I thought that it would also work with all the HR series DVR's.

When the hmc was originally released before being rebranded as the genie this was more of a side effect rather than an intended feature. By directly connecting any ird via ethernet it gives it an Internet connection... the hmc was designed to share it's connection and Playlist with other irds via deca networking. There was a very brief period of time where direct connections were tolerated (for lack of a better word) in setups but they eventually caused mrv issues. Software updates later disabled the internal deca if a direct connection was found. Which in turn broke Playlist sharing. Further software updates added additional error codes to help clarify potential problems in the system.

Many many moons ago when mrv was in field testing and ce testing the ethernet connection was supported. This predates the hmc even existing as a receiver.

If an account is authorized for mrv natively and every single ird is connected to a network via ethernet and isolated to its own subnet... everything will work... but is unsupported. ... once you throw clients into the mix things will start to break.

I just rewired my setup to use the ethernet connection of HR44 and eliminated the DECA . It works just as fine and simplifies the connection . Now I don't get that warning "ethernet not connected" in the systems status .
I didn't even have to redo the connection it came right up using the same IP previously obtained with the DECA.
How many receivers,clients do you have besides the Genie(HR-44)?

When the hmc was originally released before being rebranded as the genie this was more of a side effect rather than an intended feature. By directly connecting any ird via ethernet it gives it an Internet connection... the hmc was designed to share it's connection and Playlist with other irds via deca networking. There was a very brief period of time where direct connections were tolerated (for lack of a better word) in setups but they eventually caused mrv issues. Software updates later disabled the internal deca if a direct connection was found. Which in turn broke Playlist sharing. Further software updates added additional error codes to help clarify potential problems in the system.

Many many moons ago when mrv was in field testing and ce testing the ethernet connection was supported. This predates the hmc even existing as a receiver.

If an account is authorized for mrv natively and every single ird is connected to a network via ethernet and isolated to its own subnet... everything will work... but is unsupported. ... once you throw clients into the mix things will start to break.
Ok,that makes sense now. Personally,since I already have a DECA adapter in my set-up,if I did upgrade to a Genie,I'd leave the DECA set-up as is anyway.

I have my HR44/700 direct connected to my network, and the only error I ever get when doing the system test, is that there is no telephone connection. Other than that, there has never been any issues. My brother has his set up the same way. I have even tested with the HR44/700 connected via wifi to my network. Again only problem was no telephone connection when running a system test.

I am using a static IP on my HR44/700. My router is a Cisco RV-320 SOHO router, with ATT U-Verse for my Internet. v As long as you do not have some funky network setup, or using old archiac managed switches that you are using in a lab environment, there should be no issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts