Direct or Dish???

GSH

Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Pine Mountain Lake, CA
I'm a new member so excuse any indisdretions or reinventing of the wheel. I purchased a Philips 37PF7320A,37 HDTV and now need to select Direct or Dish as a content provider (only options). Is there a consensus of opinion as to which is best especially considering HD programming? What are the pros and cons of each? What are the best receivers (must have HDMI output)? Rrecording capability isn't required.

Also, I guess that in addition to HDMI I'll need to provide an analog connection for non HD programming. Should I use coaxial, S-video or one of the component cables? I ealize that it will partially depnd on the STB's outputs.

My best advice.

Look at what people think on this forum and soak it in for a couple of days. But there are alot of people here that will tell you one or the other sucks try to give you a reason why. In the end just do the research yourself and make the decision on your own.

Great advise Tate!

GSH: There is really no more than 1% difference one way or the other. I have had DirecTV since its inception and tried Dish for 2 full years side-by-side with DirecTV (just ended that in 12/05).

I would look at these factors - IMO.

1. Do you want the NFL Sunday Ticket? If no, you can get either; ONLY DirecTV offers it.

2. Do you need locals? If so, makes sure who carries them for you DMA (by zip code). By law your service zip code determines your DMA.

3. After those two they are virtually the same and fall into the back & forth bickering like Tate said.

4. Dish does offer the Voom HD package as their extra HD bump over DirecTV, and once again you can find a 50/50 split on what people think about it.

5. Get some references about installers in your area and check them via the BBB.

Good lucky buddy & welcome! You will enjoy whichever you get I promise.

Last edited:
Welcome from this neck of the woods, and welcome to HD as well! As the high performance fans say, "Fasten your seatbelt"...!

Never a concensus! That's what makes this forum so valuable, and so much fun...!

The only thing I'd add is that you still might have OTA (over the air) options which still have the best HD PQ (picture quality - you'll get used to all the slang and acronyms quickly!) and depending on how long until your provider is ready to send the LiLs (Local into Locals, from the satellite) in HD, that may influence your decision one way or the other and/or cause you to look into the OTA option for your area.

GSH said:
... best receivers (must have HDMI output)?...
Not necessarily. DVI will provide the same video quality, minus the audio content and in some cases the component connections (RGB) are just as good. Just get the right cables to match your receiver to your TV which I assume is HDMI.

... Also, I guess that in addition to HDMI I'll need to provide an analog connection for non HD programming. Should I use coaxial, S-video or one of the component cables? I ealize that it will partially depnd on the STB's outputs.
Not sure what you mean here. One digital connection will transfer everything your STB receives to your HD TV, whether it be SD or HD (HDMI, DVI, or component). The SD outputs of most STBs are for additional equipment connections, other SD TV, VCR, whatever. How you hook them up depends on your circumstances, distances, etc. In descending order of PQ, it's component (if your SD equipment accepts this option), S-video, composite, coaxial.

Good Luck, and Enjoy...!

Last edited:
Thanks BHelms,

... Also, I guess that in addition to HDMI I'll need to provide an analog connection for non HD programming. Should I use coaxial, S-video or one of the component cables? I ealize that it will partially depnd on the STB's outputs.

I was told by a Philips techie that the HDMI cable would not transfer the non digital signals (i.e. SD) to the TV from the STB. I guess there's lots of misinformation out there.

Thanks

GSH said:
Thanks BHelms,

I was told by a Philips techie that the HDMI cable would not transfer the non digital signals (i.e. SD) to the TV from the STB. I guess there's lots of misinformation out there.

Thanks
Again, you won't need 2 connections (one for HD and one for SD, which are both digital, ATSC-compliant signal formats) with any current STB. One HDMI, DVI, or component connection will do it. HDMI includes the Dolby 5.1 SS digital audio feed in the same cable; with DVI or component connections for the video you'll also need to make the audio connections (analog or digital) separately. If you have HDMI on both the TV and the STB, that's the way to go, tho' the HDMI cables are expensive. Shop around and stay away from the "big box" recommendations - they are usually way more expensive than you can buy on-line.

When you say "analog", what do you mean? Some STBs have both analog (NTSC) and digital (ATSC) Over-The-Air tuners, as well as some newer TVs. If your STB does receive analog OTA it will be converted to digital to be sent to the TV on the same connection as the digital signals. (I believe this is correct - someone correct me otherwise.) However, ALL programming received from the sats. (HD or SD) is strictly digital. Newer STBs are eliminating the analog tuners since within a few years - it was supposed to be the end of 2006, now delayed to Feb. 2009 - there won't be any more analog OTA signals.

The S-video, composite, and coax outputs are strictly for connections to additional non-HD equipment. Don't confuse composite with component...

Last edited:
Thanks bhelms,

I got some bad info from the Philips techie. I did question his info and that's why I went online. You've been a great help and saved me some $$$.

GSH

GSH said:
Thanks bhelms,

I got some bad info from the Philips techie. I did question his info and that's why I went online. You've been a great help and saved me some $$$.

GSH
de nada..! Someday you can return the favor to someone else...

Again, welcome....

One program, possibly two, keep me with Dish, not that I have any problems with them. One, dish and dish only has the SVC, or spanish via satellite program on channel 9411. Two, I have the sky angel set up. If somehow I could get SVS on a DVD, I might be inclined toward Time Warner cable, because I like their DVR situation. As for direct tv, I don't watch all that much NFL football. I watch maybe a handful of games from start to finish every season, and even while watching those I usually channel surf back and forth.

DB

If you want the best HD and HD dvr currently available then go with Dish, if HD isn't important then go with either one.

if you can tolerate low bitrates on direct 1080i channels and downresizing goe with direct. If you want an alternative to that go with dish or your cable company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)