Direct TV, Voom or Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Hawkeyee

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I use to be a direct TV subscriber for many years and just recently switched to Voom, but am not all that happy with vooms programming a lot of the HD channels they have are not worth watching and they lack a lot of the sd definition channels and sports programming. I am debating weather to to back to direct TV or try dish? I am asking for your opinions on which way to go I want to be with who ever will you think in the future will be offering more HD. I do like the fact you can subscribe to an Adult channel with Dish and only ppv with Direcet TV, but HD will be the most important factor for the future.

I had the sam experience

I had direct, swithced to voom, after six service calls cancelled, and have gone with dish. I am very happy with it.

Hawkeyee said:
I use to be a direct TV subscriber for many years and just recently switched to Voom, but am not all that happy with vooms programming a lot of the HD channels they have are not worth watching and they lack a lot of the sd definition channels and sports programming. I am debating weather to to back to direct TV or try dish? I am asking for your opinions on which way to go I want to be with who ever will you think in the future will be offering more HD. I do like the fact you can subscribe to an Adult channel with Dish and only ppv with Direcet TV, but HD will be the most important factor for the future.
I have to give my nod to E* (Dish Network) I've been with them since the beginning and through all the trials and tribulations they have gone through, they have somehow managed to stay competitive. I'ts nice to have a scrappy independent forge ahead against the "Goliath's" and keep it's customer base always on the top of their concerns. I'd go with E*

Dish is the way to go for now. I have been with them for a year and have had a pleasant experience except when they cut me off for late pay :) They only had to do it once when I was in the hospital and the wife wasn't to worried about bills at that time hee hee. When she told me I told her to go home and get it turned back on that very day just in case I got out early :D of course I didn't it was 3 weeks later but when I got home I sure was glad to have it there for me.

If you have ever been in the hospital you know how crappy their tv systems are. I think it was comcast with 900 feeds off of one amp and it was only basic cable at that. I finally had my wife bring my laptop with a bunch of rented and owned movies. But I digress :yes

Had Dish for locals before Direct had locals in my area, also was one of the first to have Voom. I've had Direct all along since about 96. For my purposes Direct by far exceeds the others. Voom has its own set of problem such as the one you mentioned, also the receiver is the worse thing I have ever seen. Canceled Voom and got refund. Dish picture quality is much softer on SD than Direct, don't know about their HD. It also makes a big difference which receiver you have for Direct. I've had a couple of Samsungs, didn't like, now using the Sony HD300, which seem to be much better even on SD than the Samsungs. If you're using a Direct View TV Dish may be okay. But Rear Projection or anything with a large screen size I think Direct is best. I am using a 55" Rear Projection. Let us know what you decide.

I can only tell you how happy I am with DIsh Network. I was a Directv customer for seven years, and I switched to Dish a year and half ago, I found Dish Network to be the better value. I like Dish, I recently bought their HD in A box, and my first impressions with HD is I love it. Dish have their bugs, but overall I like them.
FYI: I've heard Directv is going to start putting up more HD channels. Don't know what that means but I do know its well over do. I would recommend if you can wait a little bit to see what comes about. But Directv has a lot of locals to add to catch up to Dish, so I don't really see them out doing Dish on HD. But thats my opinion. I could be wrong. I am pretty sure that they haven't added any locals since I was a customer until yesterday. But they may push the HD wagon first.

I believe it would be of great benefit to everyone if when opinions are given on which provider is best to include the type & size TV is being used. Just my opinion, but I'm entitled to it.

fair enough

50 inch Toshiba theater wide-screen HD, but I am still watching in SD right now soon to upgrade to 811 or 921 or something equivilant. There you go :cool:

I'm not meaning to hijack this thread, but what I have contributes to it. I just acquired an HDTV (hopefully the wife will let me keep this one this time) and I'm currently a D* sub. The best deal they can offer me right now is $349 for a standard HD receiver. I really don't want to go back to digital cable with Insight communications because their programming is more expensive and the only HD channels they offer are the same ones D* and E* have. They don't have InHD1 or 2 like TWC has. I like what I see at Voom but I have heard some bad experiences from yall on this forum and they do not have HDNET, which is one of my favorite HD channels. I can't go back to E* because we had a major falling out after I cancelled my account with them over a contract dispute. I now owe them $240 plus I think the 811 is junk anyway.

What would the best option be? I really want to stay with D* if possible but I don't want to spend $349 on a damn HD receiver when some people have been getting it for $99.

Have you talked to someone in the retention department. Sometimes they can work deals that the normal CSR's can't. Another option is to check out CC and BB for open box deals on HD STB's, sometimes you can pick one up that way.

VOOM Misery Abounds

Where do I start? There are so many negatives it's overwhelming! Original order included an extra receiver and the day before installation, I was called that VOOM didn't send the units to the installer so I'd have to call and set up another install date. Calling was a nightmare. Called during their campaign and was dumped after 7 minutes time after time up about 200 plus times (over a three day period). Finally, I reached a fellow who said he would set things up ands call back. You guessed it, he never called. I started taking names. Spoke to Nicole who said they would call back on a Monday. No calls. called and spoke to Jeff at 9PM Monday. He said he would write an e-mail to install explaining the situation and have them call right away on Tuesday. That didn't occur, so I called and spoke to Pam who contacted install and said Leo would call. Mind you, I started all this in May, and now it's June 16th. Believe it or not, Leo called and set up the installation. It went well until I was told there was no 2nd receiver included in the installation notes so I'd have to call for a new installation date. Now, they tell me they have no original record requesting a second receiver. I don't doubt it, considering how disorganized this organization is. It keeps going on with incompetance. They are the worst business I've ever dealt with! Of course, they don't honor my word that I had a 2nd receiver originally requested. Yes, I can afford to pay for one, but should I?? I think not. I encourage you to look elsewhere for HD. Beware, they aren't unfriendly, but they are incompetant and disorganized!

Jim
Morro Bay, CA

korsjs said:
It has been over a month. Where is directvs hd programming? Dish has more hd channels and is cheaper than direct?

Direct keeps promising, but fails to deliver.

OK, I was wrong. I still think that soon we'll see something from D* about more HD, beside the already announced NFLST games.

Since when it comes to D* it's all guessing until they actually announce, I think they need to get the LIL's that were on 101, and moved to 119 with D7S turned off. They couldn't just say ok now D7S is you, you have a couple of days. I believe I've seen some posts saying that people that don't have a multidish in those markets are seeing a warning message saying to upgrade or loose the channel so they must be getting closer.

DISH has also promised this and that and never delivered. Where's the 30+ HD channels the SuperDISH was supposed to allow?

Neutron said:
What would the best option be? I really want to stay with D* if possible but I don't want to spend $349 on a damn HD receiver when some people have been getting it for $99.

Neutron:

I just recently upgraded to HD TiVo, and I have a Samsung TS160 DirecTV HDTV receiver that is about 1.5 years old that I am planning to sell on EBay in a week (I am waiting for a new card from DirecTV so I can sell it).
The receiver is like new, even the remote has no wear, as I used a universal remote to control it, the Samsung remote stayed in the box.

I was expecting to get around $150 for it. PM me if you are interested, and we can discuss price. I am a DirecTV dealer, so I can also get you a Phase 3 dish, if you need it, but DirecTV should send you one for next to nothing, if you subscribe to the HD Package.

Alan

I have been with dish for years. Don't think anything comes close. You should see the crapy cable here.I have 2 HD recievers 921 and 6000 and the kids have 501 and 301. I am very happy with all. Yes even the 921.:)

al said:
Neutron:

I just recently upgraded to HD TiVo, and I have a Samsung TS160 DirecTV HDTV receiver that is about 1.5 years old that I am planning to sell on EBay in a week (I am waiting for a new card from DirecTV so I can sell it).
The receiver is like new, even the remote has no wear, as I used a universal remote to control it, the Samsung remote stayed in the box.

I was expecting to get around $150 for it. PM me if you are interested, and we can discuss price. I am a DirecTV dealer, so I can also get you a Phase 3 dish, if you need it, but DirecTV should send you one for next to nothing, if you subscribe to the HD Package.

Alan

If I remember correctly, Neutron went with Voom since he didn't want to pay anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)