Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
News Release

DIRECTV Continues to Deliver the Best Television Experience Available; DIRECTV Showcases Original Programming, High-Definition Broadcasts and Advanced Products and Services at CES

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 3, 2006--Showcasing the strength and breadth of its leadership position in digital TV products and services, DIRECTV, Inc., will unveil a robust display of original programming, high-definition (HD) services and advanced products at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Throughout 2006, DIRECTV will roll out new products, including DIRECTV 2Go, a new service for portable media players, a new HD DVR and a professional home theatre system, as well as expand many of its advanced products and services, including HD local broadcasts and new on-demand features. DIRECTV customers will also have access to original programming - including a new channel dedicated to original entertainment- developed exclusively for DIRECTV customers.

"The introduction of new advanced products and services opens the door for an entirely new wave of programming on the DIRECTV platform that will lead our category in new directions," said Chase Carey, DIRECTV president and CEO. "As the television viewing experience evolves, DIRECTV continues to innovate, delivering new and expanded services that will provide the best television viewing experience - when, where and how our customers want it."

Featured DIRECTV Products, Programming and Services at CES 2006

DIRECTV On-Demand

NBC Networks On Demand via DIRECTV Plus(R) DVR

Beginning in first quarter of 2006, DIRECTV will provide consumers with access to the top programs of NBC and its cable entertainment networks, USA, SCI FI and Bravo, within hours after they air, commercial free, for just 99 cents. The programs will be available on demand through the new DIRECTV Plus interactive DVR. DIRECTV will provide in-booth demonstrations of the DIRECTV Plus DVR, including its ability to deliver on-demand programming.

The DIRECTV Plus DVR is the most advanced DVR available on the market, with features such as 100 hours of recording capacity, interactive functionality, one-touch recording and Viewmarks, which enable viewers to mark favorite places in recorded programs and jump directly to them. The DIRECTV Plus DVR takes the viewing experience to new levels by offering the widest array of network primetime programming available on demand.

DIRECTV Original Entertainment

Music Programming

The cornerstone of DIRECTV's original programming venture is CD USA, which will premiere Saturday, Jan. 21, 2006, and deliver the largest selection of back-to-back-to-back performances available on television. Broadcast in standard and high-definition, the weekly hour-long show will feature live performances from a mix of music genres, including pop, indie, rock and urban. CD USA will entertain DIRECTV's more than 15 million customers with the latest news on new releases, exclusive interviews, gossip, behind-the-scenes reports, and a private peek inside the world of music idols.

In addition to the interviews and performances of CD USA, DIRECTV customers can also access exclusive entertainment programming through Network LIVE, a joint venture with Network LIVE, America Online, XM Satellite Radio, AEG and DIRECTV. Broadcast in standard and high-definition, Network LIVE brings DIRECTV customers live, premier performances from both multi-platinum and emerging artists that can't be seen anywhere else on television.

Massive Gaming League

Using new technology that allows for the placement of cameras within an actual videogame, DIRECTV will produce a videogame tournament and cover it as a sporting event, complete with producer, director and technical crew. Stories of the competitors will be told via interviews and features, complemented with coverage of their exploits in actual competition. DIRECTV plans to launch the Massive Gaming League in 2006.

MEGA MARCH MADNESS(R) Mix Channel

College hoops fans will be thrilled by DIRECTV's newest mix channel, MEGA MARCH MADNESS. DIRECTV Mix channels offer enhanced features that enable customers to view up to six live channels, all on one screen. Customers with interactive-enabled DIRECTV receivers can use their remote to listen to and direct-tune each channel. Customers can tune in to see games from the first three rounds of the NCAA(R) Division I Men's Basketball tournament exclusively on DIRECTV. Capabilities include a directory listing teams that are currently playing or are scheduled to play, and non-stop sports action on up to six screens at one time. All DIRECTV customers who subscribe to the MEGA MARCH MADNESS package, a TOTAL CHOICE(R) programming package, and have a DIRECTV interactive set-top box, will be able to enjoy the MEGA MARCH MADNESS Mix Channel.

DIRECT Date

This original three-hour block of programming allows singles to meet each other via compelling and interactive video presentation. Consisting of two separate 90-minute blocks, one for men and one for women, DIRECT Date will be the "American Idol for singles." Each segment will consist of two-minute features where men and women will have the opportunity to present themselves to prospective romantic interests. Content will include updates on past DIRECT Date match-ups as well. DIRECTV plans to launch DIRECT Date in 2006.

DIRECTV HD Local Channels

Including the 12 HD local markets launched last year, DIRECTV will offer HD local channels in 36 markets, representing more than 57 percent of U.S. television households in the first half of the year, with more local HD launches planned for later in 2006. DIRECTV will initially carry the primary broadcast stations - ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox - that offer an HD feed in the market. Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

To receive local HD channels, DIRECTV now offers the new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations. The H20 HD set-top is the first DIRECTV receiver to process MPEG-4, the next-generation transmission standard supporting a wide range of audio and video modes and transmission speeds. MPEG-4, coupled with the launch of new satellites, is set to lay the foundation for the best high-definition television experience available anywhere.

DIRECTV Products and Services

DIRECTV 2GO

The DIRECTV 2Go service will allow DIRECTV customers to transfer programming content from their DIRECTV Plus DVR to a wide variety of portable media players. Supporting DIRECTV specific audio and video formats, the service will enable customers to connect a DIRECTV compatible portable media player directly to DIRECTV receivers. DIRECTV 2Go devices will also display DIRECTV content in a separate menu area with a DIRECTV-branded user interface. These new media players further demonstrate DIRECTV's commitment to providing consumers with the content they want, how they want it, and where they want it. DIRECTV plans to launch the DIRECTV 2Go service in 2006.

DIRECTV Pro

DIRECTV Pro is for the true technophile and home theater enthusiast. It combines the latest HD and DVR technologies, and differs from all other DTV products as it is designed to mount in a 19-inch rack, which is common in the home theater, custom installation market. Additionally, the Pro Home Theater has new features such as a front panel, HD LCD display, front panel transport controls, and additional control ports on the front and back. DIRECTV plans to launch the DIRECTV Pro at the end of 2006.

DIRECTV PLUS(R) HD DVR

The DIRECTV(R) Plus HD DVR (HR20) combines the best entertainment with unprecedented control and convenience to create the ultimate TV viewing experience. It brings together the new DIRECTV Plus DVR and DIRECTV HD Receiver. Viewers are able to record one HD program while watching another and record two different shows at the same time, while watching a pre-recorded program. The DIRECTV Plus HD DVR gives the user the ability to pause and rewind live HD TV up to 90 minutes, use instant replay and watch in slow motion. The DIRECTV Plus HD DVR is able to record more than 30 hours of DIRECTV HD programming delivered in MPEG-2, or up to 50 hours of DIRECTV HD programming delivered in MPEG-4, or up to 200 hours of standard-definition programming. In addition, the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR is MPEG-4 compatible, and is the first DIRECTV HD receiver with interactive capabilities. DIRECTV plans to launch the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR at retail mid-2006.

DIRECTV LCD Televisions

On display in the DIRECTV booth is a new series of LCD TV screens that will be integrated with a DIRECTV receiver, allowing consumers to explore all that DIRECTV has to offer without the clutter of separate components. DIRECTV will feature 10-, 22- and 32-inch LCD TV's with wide-angle viewing, 10 watts of stereo audio (built-in speakers), three-day advanced program guide and bilingual user interface (English/Spanish). Availability for these new DIRECTV LCD TVs is still being determined.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation's leading digital television service provider with more than 15 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSE: DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment services. DIRECTV is approximately 34 percent owned by News Corporation.

Robert Mercer, 310-726-4683
rgmercer@directv.com
or
PainePR
Elizabeth Owen, 949-809-6734
eowen@painepr.com

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

Good to see they are trying however, I am a bit dissappointed by availability of HD DVR. Mid-2006. I knew the pro wouldnt be until end of year but I was hoping for retail HD DVR by spring.

Also, the others are fluff and stuff to me.

On-Demand. Dont care, not in HD.

Music Programming. In HD and very interesting. Best bullet in release.

Gaming League. Uh Ok.

Mega March Madness. Never again will I sign up for that. Everything was blocked and out of synch with my local HD broadcasts. SD mixes, no thanks.

Direct Date. dont think my wife will appreciate that.

HD Locals. Hartford/New Haven better be in the top 36.

2Go. Dish already has it so lets hope D* can pull this off.

Pro. See you in 2007

HD DVR. I was hoping for an earlier release. Lets hope supply matches demand when they release.

LCD TV. Whatever.

The DIRECTV PLUS HD DVR has no mention of OTA tuners. Since they are going to only offer the big 4 in each market, this is going to make a lot of people unhappy. I guess this is a good reason to hang onto your HDTivo

No mention of any new national HD channels being added in the near term, down right depressing.

rad said:
No mention of any new national HD channels being added in the near term, down right depressing.

The DirecTV press conference isn't until 6:30p pst on Thursday. I doubt this press release is the end of their announcements.

Two things that I am interested. The HD DVR, of course, and able to download programs to portable devices. I hope D* makes it possible download to MPEG-4 (.avi extension). That will be sweet. I love these ideas. The rest I, personally, care very little but I can see that it may be important to others. Like GeorgLV said, I expect more news coming out of CES as well at the Press Conference.

rad said:
DITTO!

Is the Pro the HMC rebadged or are they giving up on that concept?

hdtvtechno said:
Directv Date lol :D = Waste of bandwidth

i doubt that its a free service, if it is, then why waist bandwidth? unless they are expecting to have SOOOO much extra left over with the 4 new birds going up, survey says......doubtful

Mega March Madness is a good idea but nothing anyone was crying for. Basically what E* does with college football now, but instead of 1 game and 6 cameras you get 6 games. Only real use is the first weekend of the tourney, and CBS does a pretty good job of putting the good games on tv and cutting in...

Everything else, well, bleh...

Can't wait to see the first "We're getting married after meeting on Directdate" press release, I can see them already in my head...<shudder>

It all seems interesting to me. It sounds like they are trying to be unique in their own way trying to provide features and programming that nobody else offers to attract consumers and keep the current customers that they already have.

Well it's kind of in the same "Let's do a bunch of crap that nobody cares about" mold that DISH has fallen into, but at least D* is keeping it's channels on the air. Just hope they stay focused on what brought them to the dance...

DirecTV CES Press Release said:
DIRECTV LCD Televisions

On display in the DIRECTV booth is a new series of LCD TV screens that will be integrated with a DIRECTV receiver, allowing consumers to explore all that DIRECTV has to offer without the clutter of separate components. DIRECTV will feature 10-, 22- and 32-inch LCD TV's with wide-angle viewing, 10 watts of stereo audio (built-in speakers), three-day advanced program guide and bilingual user interface (English/Spanish).
Hmmm, didn't Dish crash-n-burn with their LCD HD offerings? And to make it even worse, these will have the DirecTV tuners built-in, so if you ever wanted to switch providers, you're left with a useless DBS tuner.
DirecTV CES Press Release said:
Availability for these new DIRECTV LCD TVs is still being determined.
At least the release writer was smart enough to put in an escape pod. Good idea.

My Email to DirecTV upon reading this Release

About 3 months ago I noticed that Best Buy was offering the H20 DirecTV reciever for free (after rebates) I was literally in my car on the way to buy it when a friend told me to wait. As it turns out I would have to get a new dish to receive locals and pay an additional $11 for all of 6 channels. He told me I should wait until after the New Year to see what DirecTV will be offering. I was browsing the web today and found your press from the Consumer Electronic Show. All I have to say is: wow. If DirecTV trying to attract new HD customers or new customers for that matter, I think you are missing the mark. There was no mention of any new National HD programming. I’ll go through the list of new services from the view of a normal consumer with a $3000 television set.
• I think the on-demand is kind of neat. Any HD? I don’t know if I’d pay $1 seeing I have a TiVo. Makes to be kind of a redundant service.
• Video Game League: Watch OTHER people play video games what’s the point?!?
• Mega March Madness: Most of the games that matter are on locals.
• Direct Date: Is it April 1st? Are you joking? Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired. The fact that it has made it to fruitarian is nothing short of stunning.
• Direc HD: Nothing new here.
• Direc2Go: Sounds interesting; does it work with my iPod? If not, I just lost interest.
• HD DVR: What’s the point; there’s barely anything to record.
• DirecTV LCD’s: Are they free with a 2 year commitment?

Please let someone know that I subscribe to DirecTV for TV not extra services that that will increase my bill 2 fold. Hello DirecTV! HD Programming PLEASE!

- XXXX XXXXXXXXX

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed.

Let's focus on being the best provider of television TO OUR HOMES first. Once that's accomplished, add all the Mickey Mouse crap. Hopefully, the more vital things of concern are just mundane or not sexy enough for the press release.

Any news from the D* booth yet Scott?

D2daizon said:
• HD DVR: What’s the point; there’s barely anything to record.

I think you'd be surprised as to just how much there actually is to record. The HD Tivo has been nothing but a blessing and I hope the new Mpeg 4 HD DVR can perform just as well.

I am completely floored about that DirectDate thing almost makes me want to completely cancel my DirecTV service.

I really hope to hear anything about some new HD content from this show but I don't think we will. Dish Network at this time is truely the leader in HD, the one thing that's funny about that is no service provider can even match the amount of channels that Voom had over a year ago although Dish is almost right there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)