DirecTV coaxial HD and surge protector

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Royal05Steve

Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Ga
I have a surge protector and was running my coaxial line through it then to my set top. I just had DirecTV HD installed and the installer said it needs to run right to the box and not through the surge protector. This seems a little bit unsafe to me. I had no problem with the signal to my old DVR. Thoughts?

The surge protector may not pass the higher frequencies used for the Ka band satellites. While a surge protector (or even better, a UPS) is recommended for power, they probably don't provide much additional protection for the satellites feeds if you have the dish and coax properly grounded.

it doesnt matter grounded or not, or even if it is plugged into a surge protector, if lightning hits your dish it will fry every thing connected to it. i have seen this personally to many times.

it doesnt matter grounded or not, or even if it is plugged into a surge protector, if lightning hits your dish it will fry every thing connected to it. i have seen this personally to many times.

That is my point I guess. If it does happen then the surge protector company buys me all new stuff. But does it degrade the picture and sound?

^^^

ROFL.. you obviously never tried to make a claim with that junk. I would rely more on your home owners insurance than some text on a box.

If its grounded outside then thats about all you can do. If you are that worried about lightning hitting you, then install a lightning rod net system on your roof. If you get a direct hit.. it doesnt matter how much "protection" you have stuffs getting damaged.

The signal is digital.. you either have it or you dont. So what happens is the frequencies just do not pass, nor does the 22khtz switching.

A surge protector is just that, it protects against spikes (surges) of voltage from the power company, that's it.

I've read the junk on the box too, My homeowners Insurance will do more for me than trying to wring out money from a company cranking out these protectors.

Who would you file a claim with? Once filed, you would be on the merry-go-round of comapnies claiming it's not their responsibility to pay. "it's the manufacturer", "It's the distributor", "It's one these insurance companies", etc, etc. In the meantime, Your insurance company could have a check off to you and you'd be whole again.

I had a "near" hit lightning strike last year about 50 ft from my house. D* covered the damage to the LNB's and one STB through the protection plan. My insurance company covered the damage to my receiver, XBOX, TV, CD jukebox and several kitchen appliances.

Oh, BTW, the "surge" protectors that my gear ran through were fried, along with my old fuse box, several outlets and some wiring. Luckily I was home and thankfully didn't have any fire related to the strike. The tree that was hit wasn't so lucky. It's a good thing the water was still running (if you know what I mean :eek: )

I now have whole house protection, but lightning is and will continue to be something that cannot be controlled or avoided.

Surge protectors will protect you from spikes from the power company that aren't caused by lightning, but if you think a 50 cent capacitor in that strip is going to absorb the millions of volts from a lightning strike, I have some identity theft insurance and some oceanside property in Nevada I'd like to sell you.

back to the actual question of the topic (but yes i agree with everyone including the nevada realitor) the coax surge barrels are bad for the signal for 2 reasons. 1, they are white or clear barrels and only pass 1ghz, and satellite more than doubles tht in almost all cases. 2. the ka signal is indeed interfiered with.

Surge protectors will protect you from spikes from the power company that aren't caused by lightning, but if you think a 50 cent capacitor in that strip is going to absorb the millions of volts from a lightning strike, I have some identity theft insurance and some oceanside property in Nevada I'd like to sell you.

Just send him your social :D

Just a side note. I run APC backups on all my electronics. I did have a surge once that cooked a modem. APC paid the ridiculosly high priced OEM modem, no questions. The wanted my old UPS and the modem. They then sent me a brand new UPS and a check for the retail cost of the new OEM modem.

Just a side note. I run APC backups on all my electronics. I did have a surge once that cooked a modem. APC paid the ridiculosly high priced OEM modem, no questions. The wanted my old UPS and the modem. They then sent me a brand new UPS and a check for the retail cost of the new OEM modem.

How long did that take and what kind of hoop did you have to jump thru ?

Actually, it was very easy. A phone call, they requested proof of ownership of the UPS, the UPS and the damaged modem. About five days after they got it (I delivered in person as I was at the time, living only a few miles from them) A new UPS arrived and a day or so later, a check covering the OEM cost of the modem. I suspect there is a way for them to tell if a surge was experienced, both on the UPS and on the modem, therefore making it a valid claim.

Actually, it was very easy. A phone call, they requested proof of ownership of the UPS, the UPS and the damaged modem. About five days after they got it (I delivered in person as I was at the time, living only a few miles from them) A new UPS arrived and a day or so later, a check covering the OEM cost of the modem. I suspect there is a way for them to tell if a surge was experienced, both on the UPS and on the modem, therefore making it a valid claim.

Wow, good for you, if it were me, they'd say 8-12 weeks or something like that :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)