Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
question on how the D* contract works.

I have a R15 DVR and found on line a new in box R22-100 (yeah I know its still a lease). And since the R22 from what I read is the best non HD DVR out there I want to replace the R15 with this. The issue is I have about 20-25 hours of stuff on the R15 that I need to copy over to DVD.

So here's my questions...by the way I'm in month 3 of my 24 month agreement

1. If I replace the R15 with the R22 at the same time, I assume my contract starts over at 24 months?
2. I know I'd return the R22 but I "moved". Will D* send the box to the billing address to send back the R15? If I have to move back thats fine. I can "move" back ;)
3. If I decide to ADD the R22 and use the R15 for say a month longer (to clean off the drive), are each on a 24 month agreement (like cell phones are) or is it one 24 month agreement? Does the agreement just say I'll keep the account active for 24 months?

What I might do is wait until the 3 free months movie channels are done (they are done next week) then do this all at once :)

1) Correct on your commitment going back to 24 months.

3) Contract is not like cell phones. You are on 1 24 month commitment and not one for each box. You can keep your r15 for a month for the $5 mirror fee.

ok cool. Thats what I figured

I wonder if they will ship the return box to the billing address though?

ok cool. Thats what I figured

I wonder if they will ship the return box to the billing address though?

I can answer #2

OMS reads the billing address not the service address for the boxes usually but in OMS ( order system ) we can change the address and have sent recovery boxes all over. just verify the address with them when they are ordering it. some agents will order the kit them sleves others will just let the system to automatically do it, in which it defaults to where we send the bills.

cool

the only thing is I have the bill through Qwest (bundled) but my direct account when I log in shows my billing address as my house (the legit one) :)
so I'm still good

cool

the only thing is I have the bill through Qwest (bundled) but my direct account when I log in shows my billing address as my house (the legit one) :)
so I'm still good

Even as a bundled customer you have a billing and service address. as to bundle both billing addressed had to match

Here's the fun part. If you ever add an HD receiver to your account in addition to the R-22, the R-22 once you have HD enabled on your account will basically gain the same function as an HR21. The R22 and HR21 share the same hardware. Directv limits it to an SD receiver if you dont have any HD receivers on your account, but if you add an H or HR series receiver, add the HD service, have the correct dish capable of receiving HD, and add bbc's to the R-22, it'll magically become an HD dvr.

There was a bit of a run on R22's a little while ago once people realized you could do this, since the R22 'sells' for less than an HR series dvr.

i thought the contract length for non hd was 12 months? when did it change to 24?

IIRC, the "advanced" equipment carries the 24 month commitment, which includes hd. Stonecold, can you verify this?

i thought the contract length for non hd was 12 months? when did it change to 24?

IIRC, the "advanced" equipment carries the 24 month commitment, which includes hd. Stonecold, can you verify this?

Its a flat 2 year agreement now regardless of equipment. My sister got D* with 4 D12 receivers (no DVR, no HD) and it was a 24 month agreement

unless that D12 receiver is considered "advanced" ;)

ok here how it breaks down

Standard equpment is SD non DVR recivers as a new customer carries a 18month contract if you signed up in early 2009 bye Q4 2009 it was 24 months for SD equipment as addon equipment 12 month comittment

Advance equipment , SD-DVR HD-DVR HD-non dvr reciver are 24 months with both new and as a addon.

Last edited:
well that was easy :)

Hooked up new receiver (cleared out everything on the old one too) and downloaded new software. Called D* and in 5 minutes they swapped out the receiver and verified the address to send the boxes. StoneCold you were right, they do send to the billing address ;) We verified it

Also cancelled the 3 free months of Showtime/Starz. Dont watch movies.

Also have to mention D* customer service kicks ass and is soooooooo much easier to work with than E*. IN the last week I've had to call both to swap receivers (D* for me, E* for dad)

Directv....start to finish was 12 minutes and that included a transfer to retention to cancel movie channels (and the subsequent hard sell by retention to keep them). Both reps were friendly, listened and spoke good English :)
Dish...3 calls (hung up on twice by reps while trying to get receiver working)...34 minutes. First two with broken India English. Didnt listen and was reading from a script...3rd guy was from US...spoke English :)

Called D* and in 5 minutes they swapped out the receiver and verified the address to send the boxes. StoneCold you were right, they do send to the billing address ;) We verified it

That is cool! The last time I had to send back a receiver, the CSR told me the box had to go to the service address. I said "OK," even though I prefer to get mail, etc. at my billing address ... a couple of days later the box showed at (you guessed it) my billing address. I guess next time I just won't say anything and assume (based on what StoneCold said) that's where it will go.

I asked what address it would go to and she said "the one on file where the bill is sent to unless it was a PO Box"

I verified the address..well part of it...I gave the street address and she finished verifying the address that it would go to

well had to call them today because no "recovery kit" (aka boxes) yet

The rep was very friendly (damn seems like every time I talk to one they are friendly..its a big change from E*) and noticed the order never was created. I guess when you swap/drop receiver the system automatically creates an order and it didnt. So she apologized and created an order to send the box to my billing address :)

well had to call them today because no "recovery kit" (aka boxes) yet

The rep was very friendly (damn seems like every time I talk to one they are friendly..its a big change from E*) and noticed the order never was created. I guess when you swap/drop receiver the system automatically creates an order and it didnt. So she apologized and created an order to send the box to my billing address :)

Yes some times there is a disconnect between our billing and order systems.

It supposed ot auto ship boxes when the billing system removes boxes, but does not actually do it all the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)