Directv HR20 - Lease v. Buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ktlag

New Member
Sep 15, 2006
2
0
I have been awaiting the release of the new HR20 receiver but I had not considered the pros/cons of the lease/buy decision.

In short, you can buy the receiver directly from Best Buy for $299 and own the receiver. Directv then charges you $100 for installation.

Otherwise, you can lease the receiver from Directv for $299 (+ $20 s/h) and get the installation free.

Aside from saving $80, are there other factors to consider when determing whether to lease or buy? At present, owning the receiver has no value to me.
 

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
30,714
14,242
Cheshire CT
ktlag said:
I have been awaiting the release of the new HR20 receiver but I had not considered the pros/cons of the lease/buy decision.

In short, you can buy the receiver directly from Best Buy for $299 and own the receiver. Directv then charges you $100 for installation.

Otherwise, you can lease the receiver from Directv for $299 (+ $20 s/h) and get the installation free.

Aside from saving $80, are there other factors to consider when determing whether to lease or buy? At present, owning the receiver has no value to me.

Regardless of how much you spend to get it, the HR20 is a lease.
 

ktlag

New Member
Sep 15, 2006
2
0
Chip - Can you explain what you mean? The Directv guy asked me specifically if I wanted to own the receiver (through BestBuy) or lease (through Directv).

I admit that I don't as much about Directv as some users of this forum...
 

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 3, 2006
440
1
fort lauderdale
Leasing is the way to go. You dont pay extra. It's the same as a mirror fee, Plus the receiver is covered under the protection plan.
 

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,442
4,539
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
From what I understand, it IS possible to OWN it, but it will cost you something like $749 ....
I personally would rather own as well, but I think I will opt to lease and see how I like it before I decide to spend that kind of money.
If you lease it and anything goes wrong, they replace it.

Jimbo
 

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
30,714
14,242
Cheshire CT
ktlag said:
Chip - Can you explain what you mean? The Directv guy asked me specifically if I wanted to own the receiver (through BestBuy) or lease (through Directv).

I admit that I don't as much about Directv as some users of this forum...

Now that I think about it, I believe Jim is right, that you can pay the "full price" of $749 and own the box, but if you get it for less, then it is a lease and you must return the box if and when you cancel your services. This is because if you pay less than the true cost of the box, D* is subsidizing it, and wants "their" equipment back when you are done with it. The price you pay through Best Buy is the lease price, not the owned price.
 

tech007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 14, 2006
177
0
California
So what does that lease mean exactly? I have customers who buy 300 dollar receiver at Best Buy and get mad when I try to explain them they are leasing it. So funny. I just say Ok dude shill out you right I am wrong forget about lease form. One thing I know Directv aint gonna get that received back.
 

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 3, 2006
440
1
fort lauderdale
As long as I own one receiver, I dont care about all the others. As long as Im not paying a lease fee AND a mirror fee on the same receiver, It doesnt matter. $$4.99 mirror or lease, It's still $4.99
 

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
30,714
14,242
Cheshire CT
asousa said:
if you cancel you have to send it back.... would you still have to pay the contract breaking fee?

If you have not fulfilled the commitment, then yes there is a pro rated fee. I am not sure what it is, though.
 

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 3, 2006
440
1
fort lauderdale
I thought I read in a thread that if you return the equipment, than all is forgotten ? Is that true ? or do you still have to pay a cancelation fee ?
 

randyk47

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2006
318
0
San Antonio, Texas
Got to jump in here and ask a question. I gather from reading different threads on this board that the answers you get from D* sometimes vary from CSR to CSR. I'm considering changing out one of my units to an HR20. I don't see much sense in buying it but I called to ask if I'd pay lease fee if it was my primary. The CSR said the lease fee only applies to second unit and that there'd be no other charge. I repeated what I thought I was hearing....no matter what, lease or buy, the second unit costs you $4.99 per month in either lease or mirroring charge and the primary unit, owned or lease, is included in the basic package. He replied "Yes, you got it." Does that make sense or did I get a bad answer from the CSR. My gut feeling is if this is true then leasing, with the extended warranty coverage, makes much more sense than purchase with the 90 day warranty. I'm not into selling my owned equipment and the units I don't send to my brother-in-law just get stacked up in storage right now.
 

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,442
4,539
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
johnml said:
I thought I read in a thread that if you return the equipment, than all is forgotten ? Is that true ? or do you still have to pay a cancelation fee ?
I think I read that they divide you months use ( from your 2 yr commitment) and change you by the number of months left, but I don't know what the figures are that they start with to determine the value.
Would it be x the 5 lease fee ? maybe, (5x 24 months = $ 120.) so I really don't know for sure how they arrive at a figure.

Jimbo
 

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
30,714
14,242
Cheshire CT
randyk47 said:
Got to jump in here and ask a question. I gather from reading different threads on this board that the answers you get from D* sometimes vary from CSR to CSR. I'm considering changing out one of my units to an HR20. I don't see much sense in buying it but I called to ask if I'd pay lease fee if it was my primary. The CSR said the lease fee only applies to second unit and that there'd be no other charge. I repeated what I thought I was hearing....no matter what, lease or buy, the second unit costs you $4.99 per month in either lease or mirroring charge and the primary unit, owned or lease, is included in the basic package. He replied "Yes, you got it." Does that make sense or did I get a bad answer from the CSR. My gut feeling is if this is true then leasing, with the extended warranty coverage, makes much more sense than purchase with the 90 day warranty. I'm not into selling my owned equipment and the units I don't send to my brother-in-law just get stacked up in storage right now.

You got it!
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top