DIRECTV RVU demo at CES Satguys missed it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As I said in 2 other threads, I was at that booth Thursday, we did XStream Friday and talked with some Dish officials including Charlie Ergen, then Scott, Prize Goddess and myself left for lunch & never made it back (Press room was full plus those box lunches aren't the best compared to Hooter's Hot Wings ;))

am7 I mention it wa mention in the directv forum. Sorry should of mention it was you who mentioned it.

As for everyone else who was there I dont want to hear about directv not showing off anything cool .... that is very cool!

Now why we werent there showing off the rvu dvr and the the swim eithernet adadpters and directv 3d hdtv is beyond me other then it was cheaper to let everyone else do all there heavy work.

I saw more mentions about a company not at ces Directv from Engadet and Gizmodo, then I dish who was there.

the plot thickens and I to think i was upset dtv was not going to tease me with something cool.

Agreed stonecold it does look pretty cool. With that and more HD channels they could be on to something with that whole DVR concept.

Honestly we would never have found it, CES is the size of 60 football fields all filled with companies. Where the unit was found wasnt anyplace folks looking for DirecTV stuff would have found it.

We went to cover the satellite companies and no component makers and thats what we did. If DirecTV would belly up to the table and have an actual booth then we would have found it and covered it.

Ben from Engadget actually contacted me about it this afternoon asking me for more details on it and I didn't have anything to say about it unfortunately.

Apparently they had the DTV RVU unit at 3 locations

Entropic booth / Samsung Meeting room / STMicro at a Private suite conference

Again none of them being satellite companies. ;) We wouldnt have been able to get into the samsung and stmicroareas anyways.

DirecTV would get more coverage for their new products if they showed them off at their own booth.

Scott the company is cheap. Considering what they put us through they probably felt with everyone else showing off directv services no point to being there. Personally I would of liked to been at the directv booth. I would of stood around all day playing with the equipment.

Directv is cheap = no booth

Dish does crazy price increase on dvr duo boxes = booth at ces.

Honestly we would never have found it, CES is the size of 60 football fields all filled with companies. Where the unit was found wasnt anyplace folks looking for DirecTV stuff would have found it.

We went to cover the satellite companies and no component makers and thats what we did. If DirecTV would belly up to the table and have an actual booth then we would have found it and covered it.

Ben from Engadget actually contacted me about it this afternoon asking me for more details on it and I didn't have anything to say about it unfortunately.

Actually Dfergie went to the Entropic booth on Friday and the unit was not there. That makes it even harder to cover it when you have been to the booth and the product isnt there. ;)

All I know it time for me to make some calls. To some of my old friends back in engineering I want one now. even if it just to have all 4 rooms handled by one box and a series of dumb reacievers. I am surprised in the engadget video the ui while still colecovision ugly was moving quite fast for a hddvr that bares the name directv

EDIT**************

I saw this mention about the Nexus phone being called a superphone and explain why we did not show off that cool rvu unit.
(Random Gizmodo Reader comenting on the Nexus One)
"The drawback to calling your product better than the competition is that if the competition turns out to be better, you look like a real idiot"

Though that sentence could also apply to dish about right . . . Now! Assuming directv ever puts this rvu 4 room hddvr out . but knowing my luck it will end up in the stack of other devices that were simply too late to the game which would include Voom HD Service , XstreamHD (it not going to surive the way it is .), Infinium Phantom , Duke Nukem Forever.

Last edited:
No D* is smart.

Honestly they had nothing to show off.

3dHDTV done by a couple of different tv companies all showing off HR2x reviers with the 3d software enabled. ( so no point showing it off again at a dtv booth 0

RVU DLNA server reciever not a commerical product just refernce design from what I am hereing so no point showing those off.

either net over swim neat but not dont really justfy a booth.

am7 I mention it wa mention in the directv forum. Sorry should of mention it was you who mentioned it.

As for everyone else who was there I dont want to hear about directv not showing off anything cool .... that is very cool!

Now why we werent there showing off the rvu dvr and the the swim eithernet adadpters and directv 3d hdtv is beyond me other then it was cheaper to let everyone else do all there heavy work.

I saw more mentions about a company not at ces Directv from Engadet and Gizmodo, then I dish who was there.

the plot thickens and I to think i was upset dtv was not going to tease me with something cool.

is this the hr24?

No D* is smart.

Honestly they had nothing to show off. ...

I know a booth is expensive, but we are talking DirecTV here!

They have a lot to show off, all the things they did with their Cutting Edge program. Put eight HRXXs MRVed together, with a big banner: "The best MRV with 2.4 TB storage, 16 live tuners, no Uverse nor Verizon can even come close, DISH does not even have it...":)

I know a booth is expensive, but we are talking DirecTV here!

They have a lot to show off, all the things they did with their Cutting Edge program. Put eight HRXXs MRVed together, with a big banner: "The best MRV with 2.4 TB storage, 16 live tuners, no Uverse nor Verizon can even come close, DISH does not even have it...":)
I agree.

Just a guess, but maybe DirecTV doesn't want to make a big deal out of MRV at this time. From what I've seen their plan is that MRV needs DECA networking to be supported (note I said supported, not that it won't work with anything else) and they're going to want to be able to support doing a bunch of installs which require the DECA boxes along with SWiM LNB/switch. So maybe they're planning on word of mouth to spread the word once they feel it's ready (which IMHO it isn't yet) to help limit the initial rush for upgrades.

I would say thats a good guess RAD. Our entire blowout we had here at SatelliteGuys was because Jason mention the letters MRV on our homepage and I refused to take them down.

MRV has been something that has been widely talked about by DIRECTV and was not no big secret. Personally I think its one of the best things they have going for them technology wise.

I do think the reason they are protective of it is because they want it to be the best it can be when the release it publiclly, and I guess ultimately I can respect them for that.

I have had top brass come down on me when I took a sup call and talking to a customer an they mention fios mrv and all I saiw was that I knew we are working on a mvr upgrade to our boxes but did not know when it was going to be available. I got reemed out on that.

Honestly they had nothing to show off.
Nope, no 3D, no DECA, no RVU, no lotsa tuner SWiM, no HMC prototype. DIRECTV has "showed off" more equipment here than when they had an official presence.

I guess if you can get your partners to show your stuff off, why bother doing it yourself?

Having an official booth would have meant that someone would have had opportunities to make more promises that the people who have to make it happen couldn't keep.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)