DIRECTV SlimLine Dish in Edmonton, Alberta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

StraightEdge

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Does anyone here know if the 5 LNB slimline dish would work here? I REALLY want the new HD channels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I ask is because of how far north I live. Apparently there are signal issues in Edmonton and I was wondering if anyone knew if the slimline pulls in decent signals on all 5 satellites.

I don't see why it wouldn't as long as you allign it properly.

Some have said the the beams are now very tight to the US/Canada boarder these days.

Maybe Iceberg can provide some insight; he lives in the Northern US, maybe he has some friends in CA that know.

The reason I ask is because of how far north I live. Apparently there are signal issues in Edmonton and I was wondering if anyone knew if the slimline pulls in decent signals on all 5 satellites.

I dont know for sure about Edmonton, but in Calgary Canada I am getting decent signals on the 103(b) on the national HD channels. This is for an AT-9 dish, not a slimline, but I would imagine it would be similar. I have not tried fine tuning my dish yet to improve the signals.

I believe I have the slimline allingned correctly in Edmonton. I am getting mid 80's, low 90's on 101. However on 103b I am only receiving 20-40 signal on 8-10 transponders.

The interesting thing is that I am getting a few of the new HD channels even with such a low signal..........Big Ten Network, CNN, and a few of the Starz channels. I am going to try and fine tune a couple more times but I don't know if there is any hope this far north, location lat 53, long 113. Curious to know if Alaska is receiving the KA signal. Also is there a channel to transponder listing for 103b anywhere.

Doesn anyone know if the AT9 dish may give a better signal that the slimline as it appears to have more sureface area for the 99,101,103b lnb

Thanks

I believe I have the slimline allingned correctly in Edmonton. I am getting mid 80's, low 90's on 101. However on 103b I am only receiving 20-40 signal on 8-10 transponders.

The interesting thing is that I am getting a few of the new HD channels even with such a low signal..........Big Ten Network, CNN, and a few of the Starz channels. I am going to try and fine tune a couple more times but I don't know if there is any hope this far north, location lat 53, long 113. Curious to know if Alaska is receiving the KA signal. Also is there a channel to transponder listing for 103b anywhere.

Doesn anyone know if the AT9 dish may give a better signal that the slimline as it appears to have more sureface area for the 99,101,103b lnb

Thanks

This was posted a while back, not sure if it's accurate.
Channel/Transponder Mappings (Most current, CONUS Only)
Txp 1
FX HD
The 101 HD
Speed HD
HBO West HD
Txp 2
Animal Planet HD
NESN HD
MTV HD
Nickelodeon East HD
Txp 3
MGM HD
Starz West HD
The Science Channel HD
Cinemax East HD
Txp 4
A&E HD
Starz Edge HD
Smithsonian HD
National Geographic HD

Txp 5
NFL Network HD
YES HD
NBA TV HD
FSN Prime Ticket HD
Txp 6
PPV 4
Tennis Channel HD
Showtime Too HD
Starz East HD
Txp 7
PPV2
NHL HD
Starz Comedy HD
History Channel HD
Showtime West HD
Txp 8
Biography HD
CSTV HD
FSN Detroit HD
PPV3

Txp 9
Spike TV HD
Starz Kids & Family HD
Big 10 HD
Cartoon Network HD
HGTV HD
Txp 10
MSG HD
Espn News HD
ABC Family HD
CNBC HDPPV5

Txp 11
PPV6
CSN Chicago
TLC HD
Weather Channel HD
TBS HD
Txp 12
PPV7
Versus HD
Bravo HD
CMT HD
Txp 13
OCC1
CSN Mid-Atlantic HD
Food Network HD
VH1 HD
Cinemax West HD
Txp 14
Outdoor Channel HD
SNY HD
Discovery HD
The Movie Channel

Txp 17
HDOCC2
FSNY HD
USA HD
SciFi HD
MHD

Txp 22
OCC4
Disney HD
Toon Disney HD
CNN HD

Have you tried fine tuning the dish alignment while looking at 103b signal strength? The standard alignment procedure is based on 101 and the 103 beamwidth is narrower than that for 101. While the "dither" method works in most cases, you may be able to get some improvement by readjusting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slow Web Site

RSN Network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)